Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Yeah, I thought from my previous post it was clear I understood how the contract works. It's pretty straight forward. All I was saying was that it's not really a raise. It's a nice deal for Soriano but it isn't some blockbuster achievement for Boras.
    Well if my post wasn't clear then ill make it clear. He (soriano) got an additional year to his contract plus a vesting option based on his 2012 season where he closed and had the numbers to back it up. So he got equal money this year and next plus a possible extra year again based on what he did in 2012. Now what makes you think that after a year of seting up or even middle relief do you think he gets that type of contract as a 34 year old? Also what if he gets hurt or sucks?

In the end he makes the same amount of money this year as he would have had he stayed in NYY and has a legitimate shot 2 make 28 million after this year. I saw he did more than well for him self. Which other relievers make 14M a year?

vCash
    Five underappreciated weapons for 2013

4. Steve Delabar's splitter. The Blue Jays picked up Delabar in midseason last year from the Mariners for backup outfielder Eric Thames. Delabar -- you may know him as the former school teacher with a steel plate and screws in his arm -- held opponents to a .193 average and fanned 92 in 66 innings. Like Hernandez, a mid-90s fastball sets up his off-speed pitch and batters hit just .148 off his split. Delabar's fastball is pretty straight and he needs to curb his home runs -- he allowed 12, although just three after joining the Jays -- to become an elite reliever in Hernandez's class, but if he does that the Toronto bullpen will be much improved.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/po...apons-for-2013

vCash
    Press conference tomorrow for Jose Reyes.. via his instagram

vCash
    Nice, Jose Reyes is going to have a great year.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    I know I’m preaching to the converted here but, the MIA trade really was great. I remember many ppl. from around the league and even now…saying that we just picked up the same pieces MIA picked up last year so we’re doomed for the same result.

This just isn’t true. From a WAR point of view (and I’m still not sold on WAR as the end all be all stat of our time) we stripped MIA of their 2 best pitchers and removed their 2nd best hitter.

Hanley really did nothing from them last year. Plus if you look at 2011 the team wasn’t that good to begin with. A good part of the actually wins MIA got in 2012 came from the action of those 3 players.

Now when you look at the Jays before the MIA trade we had bad pitching but a decent line up and BP.
    The lineup has now gotten much better with Reyes and Melky.
    I must say there’s something to be said for addition by subtraction.
    Then you look at the rotation before and after the Dickey trade.

Anyone who says that this is just another team trying to buy a WS is wrong.

Also there are many, including AA who are saying the team looks great on paper but will they mix well and win games?

I think they'll be fine together.

There is now a strong group of latin players who from the outside…know each other and are friends.
    We got 4 players from MIA the have played with each other so it should be all good there.
    Dickey and Reyes were teammates for 2 years so Dickey should feel good about his D behind him. Being a GB pitcher and all.
    Reyes seems really outgoing and a spark plug. This matches up well with Lawrie.

We now have more veterns and mature minded players on the team. I’d think this would help Ricky, Lawie, Ramsus, JPA and maybe Lind?
    Melky is the question mark but you’d think and hope he’d have something to prove.
    JJ is in a contract year. Nuf said
    This is just my opinion but I feel most of our player are down to earth and humble with Dickey leading the charge there.

Besides Lind we have good hitters and they can protect each other. We also have more speed on the base paths. It looks as if EE can finally give Joey the protection he been missing the past 3 year. Look out.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    A major trade that collapsed just after the World Series set the stage for the blockbuster that brought star shortstop Jose Reyes and four other Miami Marlins to Toronto.

“It was real, real close,” general manager Alex Anthopoulos said of the deal that fell through.

He refused, of course, to furnish details when asked. But he said that trade would have had the same impact on the Blue Jays’ 2013 payroll as the Nov. 19 megadeal with Miami that transformed the Blue Jays into an overnight contender.
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ne-that-didnt/

Ready to speculate? And......go!

It really is amazing (and kinda frustrating, from a fan perspective) how good he is at keeping this kind of stuff under wraps. I don't subscribe to that 'if you hear it it's not true' crap or anything, but it does seem like they're much better than most organizations at keeping their goings-on private.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ne-that-didnt/

Ready to speculate? And......go!

It really is amazing (and kinda frustrating, from a fan perspective) how good he is at keeping this kind of stuff under wraps. I don't subscribe to that 'if you hear it it's not true' crap or anything, but it does seem like they're much better than most organizations at keeping their goings-on private.
    One that comes to mind would be a Lee+ Utley sort of deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    I know I’m preaching to the converted here but, the MIA trade really was great. I remember many ppl. from around the league and even now…saying that we just picked up the same pieces MIA picked up last year so we’re doomed for the same result.

This just isn’t true. From a WAR point of view (and I’m still not sold on WAR as the end all be all stat of our time) we stripped MIA of their 2 best pitchers and removed their 2nd best hitter.

Hanley really did nothing from them last year. Plus if you look at 2011 the team wasn’t that good to begin with. A good part of the actually wins MIA got in 2012 came from the action of those 3 players.

Now when you look at the Jays before the MIA trade we had bad pitching but a decent line up and BP.
    The lineup has now gotten much better with Reyes and Melky.
    I must say there’s something to be said for addition by subtraction.
    Then you look at the rotation before and after the Dickey trade.

Anyone who says that this is just another team trying to buy a WS is wrong.

Also there are many, including AA who are saying the team looks great on paper but will they mix well and win games?

I think they'll be fine together.

There is now a strong group of latin players who from the outside…know each other and are friends.
    We got 4 players from MIA the have played with each other so it should be all good there.
    Dickey and Reyes were teammates for 2 years so Dickey should feel good about his D behind him. Being a GB pitcher and all.
    Reyes seems really outgoing and a spark plug. This matches up well with Lawrie.

We now have more veterns and mature minded players on the team. I’d think this would help Ricky, Lawie, Ramsus, JPA and maybe Lind?
    Melky is the question mark but you’d think and hope he’d have something to prove.
    JJ is in a contract year. Nuf said
    This is just my opinion but I feel most of our player are down to earth and humble with Dickey leading the charge there.

Besides Lind we have good hitters and they can protect each other. We also have more speed on the base paths. It looks as if EE can finally give Joey the protection he been missing the past 3 year. Look out.
    I honestly think the team is better than what the Marlins surrounded around the players traded to this team. Jose Batista > Giancarlo Stanton. Just one example. The former Marlins will play better than last year especially from a chemistry stand point. Buherle can trust Buck to call games behind the plate I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Could be. Garza/Soriano is the first one that came to mind for me.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by North Yorker View Post
    Oh crap...I really, really want to know what it is.

Maybe it will be leaked in a couple years from the other side?

The phils one does seem to make sense. They can't have 4 players making 80M.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade n Fade View Post
    I honestly think the team is better than what the Marlins surrounded around the players traded to this team. Jose Batista > Giancarlo Stanton. Just one example. The former Marlins will play better than last year especially from a chemistry stand point. Buherle can trust Buck to call games behind the plate I think.
    Buck was traded!
    PS3- fodus ... CoD Blackops Zombies GT5 FIFA 11

Soccer- SL Benfica
    Hockey- Toronto Maple Leafs
    Basketball- Toronto Raptors
    Baseball- Toronto Blue Jays
    Football - New York Giants

vCash
    Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
    #Bluejays sign JA Happ to $3.7-million, one year deal, avoiding arbitration.
    Shi Davidi ‏@ShiDavidi
    #Bluejays settle with Emilio Bonifacio at $2.6 million, avoiding arbitration.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Thole to a two year contract as well. Still feels redundant to have both he and Blanco, but I guess we will see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Korac View Post
    Thole to a two year contract as well. Still feels redundant to have both he and Blanco, but I guess we will see.
    Thole & Happ or Lincoln will start the season in AAA.

Injuries happen, depth is very important as we found out last season.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmath View Post
    Thole & Happ or Lincoln will start the season in AAA.

Injuries happen, depth is very important as we found out last season.
    Oh, I get that...but if we hold on to them all, we will have 3 catchers that are, for all intents and purposes, personal catchers for Dickey (Blanco, Thole and Nickeas). Seems like a bit of overkill. Not a huge deal obviously, just find it kind of strange.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast