Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 95
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WHODAT8o8 View Post
    I would NEVER give up Pierce, Sullinger, and Melo just for Gasol....
    You have to take emotion out of it.

    Green is probably as valuable as Pierce is right now when you consider age and contract.

    Sulli is risky long term because his health concerns.

    Melo has little to no value on a team trying to compete now. And even less if you acquire a possible all star center in the process.

    This trade would actually be amazing for the Celtics. And might be just what they need to get past the Heat who's only bad position is center.

    Yes, Garnett might cry for a while... but winning solves everything. And you've already committed to Green.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Brea,CA
    Posts
    31,984
    vCash
    1500
    Gasol for Pierce type deal? Sign me up


  3. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stunnerko123 View Post
    That trade was for the guy who thinks Sully would be a star in Toronto and trying to make fair to the Celtics who clearly gave up the most in the Previous deal proposed . I was going to swap Johnson for Davis but then that would mean more salary would have been added and the C's are looking for bigs not trying to lose more. That's why I put in Davis. In the other deal Raptors were basically losing a player they don't want and are winning without .
    I... me... think Sully could blossom into a star in that setting. That has nothing to do with his current NBA value. Toronto wouldn't trade Ross for Sully straight up, let alone with a stud prospect tossed in.

    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    Celtics give up Pierce, Sullinger, and Melo for only Gasol and you think they get better?

    Just Pierce for Gasol and Celtics get worse, now you're adding their two draft picks this yr, one of which has done pretty well. lol
    False. Pierce to Green isn't a great drop off. On the other hand... Gasol is a top 5 eastern center even at his worse. Allows Garnett to move to his more natural PF spot and gives you a pretty scary 3 some of Pau, KG, and Bass.
    Last edited by Lucky Junior; 01-12-2013 at 01:59 AM.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    3,180
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Junior View Post
    You have to take emotion out of it.

    Green is probably as valuable as Pierce is right now when you consider age and contract.

    Sulli is risky long term because his health concerns.

    Melo has little to no value on a team trying to compete now. And even less if you acquire a possible all star center in the process.

    This trade would actually be amazing for the Celtics. And might be just what they need to get past the Heat who's only bad position is center.

    Yes, Garnett might cry for a while... but winning solves everything. And you've already committed to Green.
    Emotion has nothing to do with it, this would be just a straight up horrible deal for the C's.

    1st- They drafted Melo expecting him to be a project and the expectation of having to wait on him, so his value isn't tied to this year or even next.

    2nd- As of right now the Celtics make the playoffs, the Lakers don't. C's have been playing a lot better of late.

    3rd- So we get the big man we need to get past the heat, but then we have lost Pierce's production, nobody on this team can fill his roll.

    4th- They drafted Sully knowing he was a risk, so it's a risk worth taking and so far it is paying off.

    5th- Green is NO WHERE as valuable as Pierce. If that was the case then that means the C's could get then same in return for Green that they would PP and that's not even close to true.
    -

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    31,658
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LASportsFan1996 View Post
    Gasol for Pierce type deal? Sign me up
    really?
    when they forget what Kevin Long saids

    I follow rules and appreciate the ignore button

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    3,180
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Junior View Post
    I... me... think Sully could blossom into a star in that setting. That has nothing to do with his current NBA value. Toronto wouldn't trade Ross for Sully straight up, let alone with a stud prospect tossed in.



    False. Pierce to Green isn't a great drop off. On the other hand... Gasol is a top 5 eastern center even at his worse. Allows Garnett to move to his more natural PF spot and gives you a pretty scary 3 some of Pau, KG, and Bass.
    Not scary at all. Green has been nothing special. Sorry I don't buy PP to Green wouldn't be a big drop off, of course it would be.

    PP-
    33.2 MPG 19.6PPG 3.8APG .436FG% .387 3PT% .809FT% 5.5RPG EFF +18.71

    Green-
    23.1 MPG 9.7PPG 0.9APG .421FG% .324 3PT% .805FT% 3.10RPG EFF +8.23

    So PPG should be less because he is playing 10 min less, sure the stats are somewhat close, but that isn't what seperates them. PP can carry a team Green can not. They have total different makeup. Green shys away from the spotlight, PP seeks it out. PP has a hunger and a drive that makes him special, where Green is often questioned for how pedestrian and passive he looks on the court. There would be a huge drop off in going from PP to Green. Pierce can win you a game single handily Green just won't.
    -

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by penuch View Post
    Emotion has nothing to do with it, this would be just a straight up horrible deal for the C's.

    1st- They drafted Melo expecting him to be a project and the expectation of having to wait on him, so his value isn't tied to this year or even next.

    2nd- As of right now the Celtics make the playoffs, the Lakers don't. C's have been playing a lot better of late.

    3rd- So we get the big man we need to get past the heat, but then we have lost Pierce's production, nobody on this team can fill his roll.

    4th- They drafted Sully knowing he was a risk, so it's a risk worth taking and so far it is paying off.

    5th- Green is NO WHERE as valuable as Pierce. If that was the case then that means the C's could get then same in return for Green that they would PP and that's not even close to true.
    1. Melo has been even worse than expected. He hasn't even looked good in the D league. He's WAY more of a project than even the Celtics envisioned. He's not going to hold up a deal that could win them a championship.

    2. Neither of us is arguing if this is a good deal from the Lakers perspective, so let's only look at things from the Celtics perspective. And although the Celtics are in the playoffs. They are only 2 games over .500, the 7th seed in bad eastern conference. They can't just hold on to their core and hope it works out. And since KG and PP are old and their value is on the decline, one of those two have to be the one to get shipped out. In reality good players retiring for your club is NOT a good thing.

    3. Pierce has been good this year. He has a 20.1 PER, and is scoring 19 points a game on 33 minutes. But you don't really lose that production, instead it shifts to Pau who when on the low block also (before D'antonio decided he should be more like Channing Frye) gives you that same point production, with the added value of being a premiere rebounder. Add in Green who's numbers aren't bad at all. Keep in mind, especially in the East, a Center is WAY more valuable than a SF. If Pau plays at all like he has for the last 5 years he's instantly the best Center in the East.

    4. Everyone knows Sully can play, the risky part (big enough that he went in the 20s) was because his back is expected to just get worse with time. They wont hesitate to throw in a guy who realistically could be playing his best ball right now. AND the Celts spent big money to retain Bass and Green who both give you solid minutes at the 4.

    5. That's not true. Some teams will prefer Pierce's contract structure, others wont. Some teams will prefer Green's versatility, youth, and affordability, and others wont. Teams like the Rockets and Suns would give up more for Green. Teams like the Lakers and Spurs would give up more for Pierce.

    P.s. people seem to forget that Pierce is 35. If you can't win a championship with him right now the smart thing to do is to unload since his value will plummet in the next two years. Exactly what the Celtics are doing currently.

    I hated them for not making a push for Howard this off season, but other than that, the Celts are one of my favorite organizations as far as management is concerned.

    Quote Originally Posted by penuch View Post
    Not scary at all. Green has been nothing special. Sorry I don't buy PP to Green wouldn't be a big drop off, of course it would be.

    PP-
    33.2 MPG 19.6PPG 3.8APG .436FG% .387 3PT% .809FT% 5.5RPG EFF +18.71

    Green-
    23.1 MPG 9.7PPG 0.9APG .421FG% .324 3PT% .805FT% 3.10RPG EFF +8.23

    So PPG should be less because he is playing 10 min less, sure the stats are somewhat close, but that isn't what seperates them. PP can carry a team Green can not. They have total different makeup. Green shys away from the spotlight, PP seeks it out. PP has a hunger and a drive that makes him special, where Green is often questioned for how pedestrian and passive he looks on the court. There would be a huge drop off in going from PP to Green. Pierce can win you a game single handily Green just won't.
    Gasol put up 18 and 10 last year as the 3rd option. Pretty sure he can carry a team better than Pierce can. You're comparing the wrong players.
    Last edited by Lucky Junior; 01-12-2013 at 02:56 AM.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paradise!
    Posts
    763
    vCash
    1500
    Haha everything penuch has said well stated my man
    ...Russell Westbrook is a chucker

    Russell Westbrook's response, "If das whacha say bruh"

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    296
    vCash
    1500
    As much as I hate the Celtics, I have to be honest in that they look real good defensively right now.

    I think they can beat any team in a 7 game series in the east.

    Why break up something good to bring in a Rudy Gay, who is not even the best player on his team anymore.

    I just hope the Knicks dont have to play the Celtics in the Playoffs.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1400
    pau pierce

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    365
    vCash
    1500
    I don't want to trade Pierce. IMO we just need a center I'd be somewhat satisfied with Mozgov or Zaza even.
    PSN: Celtics1080 | Twitter: @BostonRoundball

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    436
    vCash
    1500
    what about paul pierce for rudy gay, a package of that. the celtics get younger and get a replacement for pierce who rondo wants to be teammates with. grizzlies get a small forward that would actually make them much better and potential title contenders. what do you think?

    grizzlies would be in win now mode and the celtics would have a future lineup of
    than the celtics can go out there and package courtney lee along with brandon bass and someone else like fab melo and draft picks and get marcin gortat and jared dudley.

    they would have a future of:

    rondo, bradley, gay, sullinger, gortat, jeff green and jared dudley

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    589
    vCash
    1500
    the only way they trade pierce is if ainge gets completely blown away in a deal where the c's make out like bandits. i dont think there is any legit chance the c's move him, especially for the likes of rudy gay or pau gasol.

    the c's are finally coming around. and their defense finally looks like the stingy boston celtics defense of the kg era, even more so now with the re-emergence of bradley since he's come back. the only trade the c's will make is with role players like bass/melo/barbosa/etc who could bring in a decent big to help limit kg's minutes.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    1500
    This is not news. His name has been in trade talks every single one of the past 10 years except the first year they got KG and won the title. The outcome will be the same as every one of those other ones.


    "Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    37,408
    vCash
    2100
    Trading Bass and a pick for a center is more likely.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •