Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tbrown76 View Post
    he tried to embrace it .....but when the oline allows as much penetration on runs as we do...lynch would be frustrated too....the guy is constantly gettin hit in the backfield.....it was evident we are bad at zone..period. Put mcfadden behind seattles line...that would be the only way to compare his abilities...
    Great analysis for the sophomoric analysis.

Teams got penetration on the edge which forced him to do what Coaches refer to as "riding the hump". Safeties are taught to get position and force the ball carrier to run backward as they try to get the angle on the hole the S took away. The stretch play in a zone read scheme requires the lineman to get down field at an angle.

That won't work when the O line allows the OLB or SS to set the edge that deep in the backfield.

The zone read scheme negates Mc Fadden's explosive burst that Lynch does not possess so I find the comparison 100% moot.

You nailed the issue which is penetration.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Da Swami View Post

Teams got penetration on the edge which forced him to do what Coaches refer to as "riding the hump". Safeties are taught to get position and force the ball carrier to run backward as they try to get the angle on the hole the S took away. The stretch play in a zone read scheme requires the lineman to get down field at an angle.

That won't work when the O line allows the OLB or SS to set the edge that deep in the backfield.

The zone read scheme negates Mc Fadden's explosive burst that Lynch does not possess so I find the comparison 100% moot.

McFadden ran soft last season, I believe he would have been a disappointment regardless of the scheme, not to mention he once again failed to play a full 16 game season. Talented, yes, a good football player? No. I hope the Raiders run him for all he is worth next season, then cut him loose.

vCash
    Learn what how to fumble at key points in the game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    McFadden ran soft last season, I believe he would have been a disappointment regardless of the scheme, not to mention he once again failed to play a full 16 game season. Talented, yes, a good football player? No. I hope the Raiders run him for all he is worth next season, then cut him loose.
    Tired of the D-Mac hater. Was u hating this much season b4 last or were u hanging from his nutz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oracle650 View Post
    Replace him with who? He has some of the best hands on this team. Get a work horse and keep dmc. By all means. When *healthy best back in the nfl. Maxfly I know your frusturated at lack of production. I look at mckenzie. He inherited Al's problems. However hiring an arrogant no namer from denver wasnt the answer. We needed a veteran coach. Now he is gonna make the green bay custodian our OC. Bet that. Thats your guy psd.

Glad to see this whole forum backing the Raiders. This new regime is about as Raider, as the gangsters in Raider jackets. Im ashamed.
    LOL when healthy, DMC is the best back in the game? HA!

The Minnesota Petersons got to the playoffs purely on the back of Adrian Peterson. Without AP, they're a 2 win team.
    RAIDERS. ARE. BACK.

vCash

Marcel Reece didn't have a problem averaging 4.83ypc as the feature back for 4 games??

And it's not as if the line suddenly got the ZBS and started to block better. When DMC came back from his injury, he averaged 3.27ypc.
    RAIDERS. ARE. BACK.

vCash
    Lynch also does not go down if you blow on him hard enough.

Ricky Stenhouse, Jr.
    Roush Fenway Racing #17 Ford Fusion

2013 NASCAR Sprint Cup Rookie of the Year Winner

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mal22 View Post
    Tired of the D-Mac hater. Was u hating this much season b4 last or were u hanging from his nutz
    I don't hate anyone. I really have not ever been high on McFadden after his rookie season. I was pleased when we drafted him based on his collegiate career, but has disappointed me since. Like I said, great talent, I just don't believe he is a good football player. What I mean by football player is an running back that can be counted on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    Marcel Reece didn't have a problem averaging 4.83ypc as the feature back for 4 games??

And it's not as if the line suddenly got the ZBS and started to block better. When DMC came back from his injury, he averaged 3.27ypc.
    So what are you saying?

That Reece is a better back?

Maybe his lack of D Macs explosive burst makes him a better fit in the ZBS?

A back like D Mac needs the O line to blow men off the ball so he can hit the hole in full stride. The zone read scheme asks that he wait and pick a hole (if there is one) off the cut block.

That explains the hesitations as he was having to hold back.

Reece may be a better fit in the scheme but we are trying to build around D Mac and not Reece.

The bottom line is that there was nowhere for him to run on the great majority of plays.

A lot of those Reece carries were on 3rd and long or 2nd and long against nickel and dime formations too.

Are you saying Reece is a better back?
    Last edited by Da Swami; 01-19-2013 at 02:03 AM.

vCash
    Soft? You gotta be kidding. The guy was running hard and with heart when it shouldn't have mattered at all.

His effort at the end of the season was inspirational in a season lacking just that.

Our best player and yall hating on him? Go figure.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Not hating, just being honest about a runningback that averaged less than 3.5 ypc.

vCash
    Not hating, just being honest about a runningback that averaged less than 3.5 ypc.
    On an offense that didn't execute up front all year.

There I fixed it for you.

Notice nobody is rushing to fill Reece in D Macs spot?

Answer me.

vCash
    On an offense that didn't execute up front all year.

There I fixed it for you.

Notice nobody is rushing to fill Reece in D Macs spot?

Answer me.
    In a zone blocking scheme? Yes, Reece is a better back, his yards per carry prove it. In reality its arbitrary because McFadden doesn't seem to be able to stay healthy enough to prove your point. McFadden was the feature back in last years offense, Knapp made a concerted effort to make McFadden the focal point of that offense and to distribute the ball to him in space as much as possible, McFadden was a big reason why the offense did not execute by not being able to gain positive yards on first and second down, as a result Carson Palmer was facing 3rd and long more times last season than any QB in the NFL. You want to pin the blame on OL, fair enough, but you cannot say with any credibility that McFadden was blameless.

vCash
    So you admit the zone read scheme is a liability for D Mac?

Yes or no?

The ZBS usually favors backs with less speed but better lateral agility.

Knapps "concerted" effort got him fired BTW.

The zone read scheme requires him to delay his burst to wait on another player to execute a cut block for which he must read. Should the O line not get far enough down field and allow the defense to penetrate the edge, then the back loses his angle in to the hole. Even if his guy executes his cut block, the other defenders force the ball carrier outside and string it out so the pursuit gets him.

None of that is on the back.

You really think Knapp got him the ball in space?

Are you kidding?

You failed to provide the evidence that the problem was D Mac.

Can you elaborate on what you used to base that claim?

Specifics?

You seem to be missing the point that the ZBS requires him to do something counter intuitive to his natural abilities.

I blame coaches for requiring that of him since thats their job.
    Last edited by Da Swami; 01-20-2013 at 08:41 AM.

vCash
    McFadden is crippled in any situation he needs to use his head. McFadden runs in a straight line. Thats it. If you have a lot of green grass for him to run on...he runs. If not, he doesn't.

I don't care what system you're using, very often a running back is required to do things other than run in a straight line. And quite often a running back is required to make a defender miss, or even break a tackle. McFadden does none of those things. Ever.

So yeah...McFadden sucks. We can do much, much better.

Thanks for the laugh though Swam. This personality is my favorite. But say hi to the others.

-Stork

Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast