Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

McFadden could learn something from Lynch

The Raiders fell to 4-12 this year because their top running back, Darren McFadden, could not run effectively - and the offensive line no doubt contributed - in the new zone-blocking scheme that offensive coordinator Greg Knapp brought with him.

Ironic then, and a little cruel, that one of the big reasons the Seahawks are doing so well - and totally scare No. 1 seed Atlanta on Sunday - is because running back Marshawn Lynch totally bought into former Raiders coach Tom Cable's zone-blocking scheme.

Lynch approached Cable, the Seahawks' offensive line coach and assistant head coach, halfway through the 2011 season and said he was finally ready to change his running style, to just make one cut and go. No hesitation.

"What he showed me is that he had the courage to accept something new," Cable told the Seattle Times. "I say courage because it takes that to actually change your mind-set and go to something different."

Since that conversation, Lynch has run for more than 100 yards 17 times in 26 games and is averaging 4.9 yards per carry. The former Cal star was getting 3.5 yards a pop before the change.

Last week, Lynch led the way to Seattle's first road playoff win since 1983. He had 20 carries for 132 yards and a game-winning 27-yard touchdown run. Lynch had fumbled earlier in the game, but he also made a game-saving play in the second quarter. Russell Wilson had fumbled, with the Seahawks down 14-3, and Lynch scooped it up and ran 20 yards to set up a Seattle touchdown later.

"That had to be an extraordinary play," coach Pete Carroll said. "Dead run, scoop it up and keep on going. That was a huge play for us ... it happened so fast you could hardly believe what he did."

Wilson, the rookie quarterback, has been a revelation, but it has been Lynch's violent running and Cable's smash-mouth offensive line that are the foundations of the offense, and matches the hard-hitting persona of the team's defense.

"We have some beliefs here," Cable told ESPN Radio. "I think obviously you have to throw the ball to score points in this league. I don't think there's any secret about that.

"But, I think in the end, you can be a flash-in-the-pan team, or you can be a legitimate champion, and not just go after it one year, but maybe two, three, four years in a row, and to do that, I think you have to have a physicalness to you, where you can close teams out. ... To be dominant, you've got to have a physical presence."

Cable had a 17-27 record as head coach of the Raiders, and was fired after an 8-8 2010 season and a famous "We are not losers anymore" speech to his players. Owner Al Davis eviscerated Cable in a news conference, going over Cable's on-field and off-field issues. Carroll hired him the same day.

Waiting for Cable in Seattle was a powerful runner in Lynch, but that was only scratching the surface.

"He's as smart a football guy as I've been around," Cable said. "Some people don't get to know that because he won't share that with you. He won't open up very much."

Lynch finished this regular season with 1,590 rushing yards and 11 touchdowns on the ground, averaging 99.4 yards per game. He had a career-best 10 games with 100 or more rushing yards, and his 1,590 yards ranked him third in Seahawks franchise history.

Over the past six games, Seattle has thrown in a read-option with Wilson. It's worked extremely well as defenses freeze to see if Wilson really gave Lynch the ball, at which point Wilson has a good head start downfield. He's run for 329 yards the last six games after gaining 227 on the ground the first 11.

Much of the credit for the team's running success should go to Cable and his offensive line. Left tackle Russell Okung and center Max Unger are both going to the Pro Bowl, after not being impact players before Cable arrived before the 2011 season. Left guard John Moffitt, right guard Paul McQuistan, who started 12 games in four years with the Raiders from 2006-09, and right tackle Breno Giacomini round out the nasty line.

It's not by accident that Seattle had the highest percentage of run plays in the season. That was Carroll's plan when he gave up a fourth- and fifth-round pick to Buffalo in 2010 for Lynch, and then hired Cable before he hired offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell.

Lynch "has been just a pillar of strength in terms of consistency," Carroll said. "He just has done it game after game after game after game. ... He's strong, he's physically right. He's tuned in, and he trusts everything he's seeing up front, so he's hitting it.

"It's been really fun to watch."

vCash
    Let him learn it somewhere else. He's not someone the Raiders should frame their offense around. His 1/2 season of being great are heavily outweighed by all of the other games where he was ineffective or injured.
    PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW COACH OF YOUR OAKLAND RAIDERS.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglue View Post
    Let him learn it somewhere else. He's not someone the Raiders should frame their offense around. His 1/2 season of being great are heavily outweighed by all of the other games where he was ineffective or injured.
    lol. Yeah, cant wait for D-Mac to do a Woodson on us. Also, cant wait for Taiwan Jones, Goodson to run for 1000 yards each because clearly they are the better backs. I mean Jones been with us for 3 years and cant beat some rookie of the practice squad. Goodson gets injured being a backup and barely getting any touches. Oh, wait I suppose Jeremy Stewart is the answer. Are we waiting for Peterson?

vCash
    Damn it!
    "The Greatness Of The Raiders Lies In The Future"-Al Davis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lamar2006 View Post
    lol. Yeah, cant wait for D-Mac to do a Woodson on us. Also, cant wait for Taiwan Jones, Goodson to run for 1000 yards each because clearly they are the better backs. I mean Jones been with us for 3 years and cant beat some rookie of the practice squad. Goodson gets injured being a backup and barely getting any touches. Oh, wait I suppose Jeremy Stewart is the answer. Are we waiting for Peterson?
    Who says the back ups were any good?

Let him pull a Woodson, good for him if he manages to make it anywhere else, but it hasn't happened here in 4 years. Lucky year number 5? Either way, it doesn't make up for the last 4 years of being unproductive, so does it really matter?

We're waiting for a productive running back. A lot of other teams have one, why can't the Raiders?
    PLEASE WELCOME THE NEW COACH OF YOUR OAKLAND RAIDERS.....

vCash
    When your line sucks as bad as ours, won't matter who's pounding the rock.

"Just Win Baby!"

vCash
    Big difference..

Lynch=smart DMC=dumb

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishedz View Post
    Big difference..

Lynch=smart DMC=dumb
    That was kind of my pointFadden at either time never embraced this scheme ,instead got frustrated and proved he is a one dimensional back.....get rid of him.

vCash
    Well mcfadden did have over 1000 yards one year with MR. Cable.....so id say the key to all of this is.....Tom Cable....dude is a zone offensive line master.....thats all this article really proves....and I watched the game against SF where lynch tore it up....the holes the oline made, a truck could drive through....any running back in seattle right now could rush for over 1000....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxfly View Post
    That was kind of my pointFadden at either time never embraced this scheme ,instead got frustrated and proved he is a one dimensional back.....get rid of him.
    he tried to embrace it .....but when the oline allows as much penetration on runs as we do...lynch would be frustrated too....the guy is constantly gettin hit in the backfield.....it was evident we are bad at zone..period. Put mcfadden behind seattles line...that would be the only way to compare his abilities...

vCash
    Yes he can learn something from Lynch. Get traded to a better team ASAP.
    The Michigan team bus was stuck outside Notre Dame stadium for hours after somebody painted a 20 yard line in the parking lot

vCash
    It's hard to buy into a system if you're not getting blocks. I think our OL are too big for zone blocking. This year's results were evident. A good coach/coordinator creates a plan for what he has, not what he wants it to be.
    Players will only buy in if they see that it works...just human nature.

vCash
    cant teach a duck to be a cow.

He struggled under the ZBS and we had a choice,keep the system or the RB.
    DA aqnd RM chose the RB...sorry,stork,fish,glue...your stuck with him for another year.

Unless someone offers a 1st day draft pick, and even then It seems DA is a big supporter of Darrens.

we made a few key mistakes in 2012.
    Brandon myers. He has no downfield ability and isnt a Redzone threat.
    we needed a TE1 and couldnt find one. Running Knapps system or any WCO,for that matter leans more on The TE then other downfield concepts.
    That was a mistake.

Wis to center was a mistake.he played at a probowl level as a guard.
    he wasnt very good at all as a center.

carlisle,Breisel and Barnes all played poorly ,carlisle had never played the LT side, here or in Denver. It showed. Barnes was...well barnes.
    and Briesel was a big disappointment.

if we move wis back to LG, draft one of the top 3 centers,trade or cut briesel and bring in a mauler at RT guard, and then draft Kyle Long for RT.

we wwould be ready offensively to compete next season.
    If we got a downfield TE like Joe Fauria late in the draft, to go along with Ausberry heading downfield, Im gonna say...top 10 easily.

vCash
    I agree!
    Something that drives me crazy....if the OL did a decent job the year before, why change it?

vCash
    Someone get the Bronco rushing stats, I don`t believe they had a superstar averaging 5 yards per rush. The opposing defense knows that Palmer can`t get the ball to the receivers until after the game is decided, the guy is 12 - 28 his last 40 games as the starter. It would do us all good to put the blame where it belongs, the leader on offense. There`s a huge conspiracy on this board, leading away from Palmer not being a very good quarterback.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast