Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Oh BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless he's Ernie Lombardi which he isn't, just put him in a corner spot in ST and see what he can do. How much more interesting would it be to see Flores out there than any of the dozen know-nothings they'll throw out there instead.

It was the same crap a few years ago when i was dying to see what Daniel Murphy looked like at second base but every time i looked up he was either on first or third base while we were given long look-sees at Luis Castillo and Brad Eamus.

Just put Flores in a corner already. It's Spring F-ing training for crissakes.
    We had had a look-see with Murphy in the OF though.

vCash
    Oh BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unless he's Ernie Lombardi which he isn't, just put him in a corner spot in ST and see what he can do. How much more interesting would it be to see Flores out there than any of the dozen know-nothings they'll throw out there instead.

It was the same crap a few years ago when i was dying to see what Daniel Murphy looked like at second base but every time i looked up he was either on first or third base while we were given long look-sees at Luis Castillo and Brad Eamus.

Are you aware how scouts rate Flores speed? I think Clayamtion posted that they rate him a 20 a little while ago, so yes, Ernie Lombardi.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Are you aware how scouts rate Flores speed? I think Clayamtion posted that they rate him a 20 a little while ago, so yes, Ernie Lombardi.
    If he were that slow he never would have been a high school short stop let alone a minor league short stop.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Oh BS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah and how did Daniel Murphy do in the OF?

And they say Flores has a slower first step than that.

They made the mistake of putting Duda in the OF because they loved his bat and couldn't use him at 1st base full time. You don't just start moving guys out of attrition.

Flores has zero OF experience and we really don't need more shotty defense in the OF no matter what his bat is like.

Too bad we have D'Arnaud though now maybe we could have moved him to catcher
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-13-2013 at 09:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

They made the mistake of being Duda in the OF because they loved his bat and had a 1st baseman already (that was an obvious mistake). You don't just start moving guys out of attrition.

Flores has zero OF experience and we really don't need more shotty defense in the OF no matter what his bat is like.

Maybe we can move d'Arnaud to the OF and Flores to catcher.

Oh yeah, it's all coming together now.

vCash

They made the mistake of putting Duda in the OF because they loved his bat and couldn't use him at 1st base full time. You don't just start moving guys out of attrition.

Yeah cause this team is just loaded with all kinds of viable choices for the outfield right now.

Are you out of your mind?

We're talking Spring Training. We're talking trying to find a spot for a hitter. Sure you can put him at second but then you're just spinning your wheels since you're just replacing one bat with another at second base.

We don't need a second baseman right now. We need an outfielder. Maybe Flores can do the job out there. Maybe he can't. But you're telling me it isn't even worth trying?

Seriously?
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Yeah cause this team is just loaded with all kinds of viable choices for the outfield right now.

Are you out of your mind?

We're talking Spring Training. We're talking trying to find a spot for a hitter. Sure you can put him at second but then you're just spinning your wheels since you're just replacing one bat with another at second base.

We don't need a second baseman right now. We need an outfielder. Maybe Flores can do the job out there. Maybe he can't. But you're telling me it isn't even worth trying?

Seriously?
    It doesn't mean just because you have a weakness somewhere that you force a player out of position to fix it.

It didn't work with Murphy and from all indications Flores is not the fielder Murphy is to this point.

They could try it but give me a break you want Duda and Flores in the same OF?

Better get Kirk a much bigger glove.

As for replacements, I don't care about replacing Murphy at 2nd base if Flores could possibly be the much better hitter of the two. Flores has 20-25 home run potential and has taken significant strides to being a better hitter in the last year.

Murphy is what he is offensively and defensively he'll never be a Chase Utley at the position.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-13-2013 at 10:04 PM.

vCash
    It doesn't mean just because you have a weakness somewhere that you force a player out of position to fix it.

It didn't work with Murphy and from all indications Flores is not the fielder Murphy is to this point.

They could try it but give me a break you want Duda and Flores in the same OF?

I don't care about replacing a bat with another bat at 2nd if the bat we are replacing Murphy with could be potentially much better.

Flores has 20-25 home run potential and has taken significant strides to being a better hitter in the last year or so.
    It is absolutely ridiculous to NOT try Flores in the OF for a couple of weeks in March of nothing baseball.

If he shows promise out there, he becomes a project. If he is hopeless, either he or Murphy gets traded.

But we need to know one way or the other.

Why is this so hard to comprehend????

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota View Post
    It is absolutely ridiculous to NOT try Flores in the OF for a couple of weeks in March of nothing baseball.

If he shows promise out there, he becomes a project. If he is hopeless, either he or Murphy gets traded.

But we need to know one way or the other.

Why is this so hard to comprehend????
    I said they could try it but again that's at the risk of having an even worse defense than last year.

Flores and Duda in the same OF together.

My god..

What's this love affair with Murphy anyway?

He's a decent hitter and a below average fielder. He's certainly replaceable.

Because the MLB Network ranked him as a top 10 second baseman? Flores has the type of tools to be better than Murph offensively.

I'd rather the Mets go out there and find OF help via FA.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-13-2013 at 10:23 PM.

vCash
    I said they could try it but again that's at the risk of having an even worse defense than last year.

Flores and Duda in the same OF together.

My god..

What's this love affair with Murphy anyway?

He's a decent hitter and a below average fielder. He's certainly replaceable.

Because the MLB Network ranked him as a top 10 second baseman? Flores has the type of tools to be better than Murph offensively.

I'd rather the Mets go out there and find OF help via FA.
    I'd rather we went into the FA market too but that's not gonna happen any time soon. There is no love affair with Murphy. But of all the problems on this team, he ain't one of them. Sure it wouldnt hurt to upgrade at second base. But what's the sense in upgrading one of your better positions right now while doing nothing to fill the gaping holes in the OF.

It may very well turn out that Flores is a long term answer for second base. But it would be wise to see if he can help us out in the outfield first.

Just because Daniel Murphy couldn't catch a fly ball doesnt mean Flores can't. But even then, it's interesting to note that Murph was just thrown out there, no questions asked, because there was a need and he had a bat. That he didn't work out there doesnt mean it was wrong to try. And we're not even talking the regular season here.

LOL, but it was wrong though to keep trying when it was painfully clear to everyone in the free world that Murph just could not handle outfield.

vCash
    If I played in the 2nd base in the MLB, I'd be ranked #11. That goes to show how bad they are after around #4.

vCash
    If he were that slow he never would have been a high school short stop let alone a minor league short stop.
    So, you don't know how slow he is.

Flores knows how to stay inside the baseball, and he does a good job of driving the ball to the opposite field. He projects as a potential plus hitter with average power.

Though Flores always has shown offensive upside, his position remains in doubt. He’s a 20 runner on the 20-80 scouting scale, and his heavy feet severely limit his range at third base. His hands are fine and he has a strong arm, but his lack of speed leaves first base as his only other option if he can’t handle the hot corner.

-- Baseball America, 2012
    Now you do. 20 is the lowest grade.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-14-2013 at 12:22 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    So, you don't know how slow he is.

Now you do. 20 is the lowest grade.
    I want to see him for myself. If he's that slow he's of no use to us at second base either which I'm hard pressed to believe.

I take these reports with a grain of salt. I was told how poor Jason Bay's range as a left fielder was. Little did i know that would be the best part of his game.

I will say this though: If he really runs 20 slow on a scale of 20 to 80, he's of no use to this organization at all unless he projects as a 40-home run hitter which he does not.

Someone that slow will clog up the base paths. How come no one has complained about that?

Doesn't add up, especially considering he started out in professional baseball as a short stop.

vCash
    Michael Morse started out his career as a SS and look at him now. He's a poor defensive OF, but not as bad as Duda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Michael Morse started out his career as a SS and look at him now. He's a poor defensive OF, but not as bad as Duda
    No one's advocating that we sign him to a 10 year contract as our starting left fielder.

Spring training starts next month. We have no one to play the outfield. Let me repeat that: WE HAVE NO ONE TO PLAY THE OUTFIELD!

Flores allegedly can hit. What the hell would be so horrible if we gave him an outfielder's glove to see what happens?

Oy.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast