Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Post New Federal Report: Climate Change is Really, Really Scary

New Federal Report: Climate Change is Really, Really Scary

—By Tim McDonnell
    | Fri Jan. 11, 2013 2:09 PM PST

Say what you want about the Obama administration's relative ignoring of climate issues: Many of his top scientists are paying rapt attention, and they think we're about to get our butts kicked—although dumping the news at 4pm on a Friday gives some indication of where it sits in federal priorities.

The National Climate Assessment is produced by the US Global Change Research Program, which is tasked with collating climate research from a wide variety of federal agencies and, every few years, distilling it into one major report. The latest, a first draft, is the third such report (the last was in 2009), product of a 1990 law that requires the White House to produce semi-regular updates on climate science to Congress. Today's report echoes the themes of earlier editions, and paints a picture that is all the more grim for being an unsurprising confirmation of the dangers we've come to know all too well. Here's the top six things for you to worry about this weekend, according to the report:

1.Climate change is definitely caused by human activities. Always nice to hear government officials acknowledge this essential fact. And the report concedes that our only hope of curbing warming is to kick our addiction to greenhouse-gas spewing fossil fuels.

2.Extreme weather is increasing, and that's our fault, too. In particular, searing temperatures, heavy rain, and prolonged drought.

3.Weather isn't the only threat we have to worry about. The list sounds like the side-effect warnings at the end of a prescription drug commercial: decreased air quality, insect-borne diseases, and "threats to mental health" are all on the docket for the coming decades.

4.Our infrastructure is getting hammered, and we're not spending enough to save it. Floods are destroying farmland; extreme heat is damaging roads, rail lines, and airports; and military installations are at risk.

5.Food and water security will be up in the air. Especially in water-scarce regions like the Southwest, decreasing snowpack and shrinking groundwater supplies will spark competition for water between "agricultural, municipal, and environmental" uses. At the same time, heavy floods could put water quality at risk with sediment and chemical contaminates. And by mid-century, efforts to artificially protect agriculture (like expanded irrigation) could be over-ridden by temperature and precipitation extremes.

6.Climate change is hitting plants and animals just as hard as us. Beaches, forests, wetlands, and other ecosystems could shrink or disappear, especially a problem when they play a role in mitigating the impact from extreme weather. And warming, acidifying seas could slam sea life.

The report is sure to get thoroughly dissected by reporters in the coming week; keep an eye out for more details to come.
    MotherJones

vCash
    Scary stuff. Climate control and overpopulation should be at or near the top of everyones list really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C-ross12 View Post
    Scary stuff. Climate control and overpopulation should be at or near the top of everyones list really.
    Cutting carbon should be priority number 1 for humanity, though the only countries who produce the amount of carbon that will eventually end the human species are the US and China. That means the US population must act to force their govt to take serious action.

And about overpopulation, all math models show that there is no problem of overpopulation. That's mostly an internet driven myth.

vCash
    There are people who deny the Holocaust, there will be people who will deny this. The effects of this are so strong, the denier don't even fathom the downside. All they think about is that it will be a little warmer.
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    There are people who deny the Holocaust, there will be people who will deny this. The effects of this are so strong, the denier don't even fathom the downside. All they think about is that it will be a little warmer.

vCash
    Guys do me a favor and put a towel over your computer keyboard before reading this...because I think you're going to puke all over your computer:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...-warmest-year/
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Guys do me a favor and put a towel over your computer keyboard before reading this...because I think you're going to puke all over your computer:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/...-warmest-year/
    It just made me laugh out loud. And, made me think of a childhood song.

Three blind mice
    Three blind mice.....
    Here is the question of the day, does anyone think that wealthy people should pay a lower percentage of their income to taxes than middle class people? Don't argue tax brackets, just a simple question. Do you think someone earning 46 million dollars should pay a lower percentage of their income than say someone earning sixty thousand?

vCash
    If Obama spends any money on this with support from his sheep I will bang my head against a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087
    Warmest year in U.S. history covers ~230 years or so. That's not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Not even sure if data goes back that far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cabernetluver View Post
    It just made me laugh out loud. And, made me think of a childhood song.

Three blind mice
    Three blind mice.....
    You have to teach the controversy...
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel Curtain View Post
    If Obama spends any money on this with support from his sheep I will bang my head against a wall.

Warmest year in U.S. history covers ~230 years or so. That's not a long time in the grand scheme of things. Not even sure if data goes back that far.
    Like better gas mileage standards for cars? You know some things can be a win win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacerlive
    Like better gas mileage standards for cars? You know some things can be a win win.
    That is very true.

vCash
    silly
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    You have to teach the controversy...
    http://controversy.wearscience.com/

Damn right you do!

I have a few of these.

The Giants NL West Division chase.

Gagné's HGH Care Package

Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    Cutting carbon should be priority number 1 for humanity, though the only countries who produce the amount of carbon that will eventually end the human species are the US and China. That means the US population must act to force their govt to take serious action.

And about overpopulation, all math models show that there is no problem of overpopulation. That's mostly an internet driven myth.
    I love this one. Because this overpopulation BS is analogous to a conspiracy theory for college science students.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post

This.

Overpopulation is basically a myth.

Props.LgnD.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast