Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Hurt View Post
    I too was suprised when interviwed that Dickey said the best catcher he has ever had was Blanco.
    Would have been easy for him to just say it was Thole.
    Well Dickey's interview was last season and his exact words was that Blanco was the best at catching his knuckle ball not that he is the best catcher he has ever had.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flafson View Post
    Blanco only has 50 innings with Dickey if i'm not mistaken, Thole has around 1500. So even though in those 50 innings Blanco has better numbers, it doesn't really say much.
    You are completely right. But success is success and depth is depth. Blanco provides both when there are arguably at most 5 catchers Dickey feels comfortable throwing to in the league then getting one helps the his and the Jays chances to succeed.

If Dickey is comfortable then that is all that matters. AA is giving him the necessary support thrive.

vCash
    not a bad signing .

JPA is pretty eager to catch knuckleballs too

vCash
    Catching the knuckler will wear you out. Keep JPA away.
    Best to have your back-up guy become a regular for RA D.
    Last edited by Big Hurt; 01-13-2013 at 06:54 PM.

vCash
    Could the Jays stick with Blanco and demote Thole to Buffalo since he has options remaining?

Blanco comes with a reputation as a clubhouse leader, a team player and who knows ... he may even sign autographs.

Best to check with someone of a similar reputation to Blanco.

“I’d be in the dugout last year listening quietly to a question someone asked me,” said ex-Jay John McDonald, a teammate of Blanco’s with the Diamondbacks.

“All of a sudden I hear ‘Johnny Mac, Johnny Mac, what’s going on? Is something wrong? Are you ok?’”

McDonald answered that he was fine.

“And Henry would say ‘well why aren’t you cheering for your teammates?”
    http://www.torontosun.com/2013/01/16...blue-jays-need

vCash
    AA says Thole is likely to start the year in AAA and Blanco has an opportunity to win the backup position.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/201...ays_new_deals/

At the time of the Dickey trade, it was presumed that Thole would catch the majority of Dickey's starts, but for 2013 at least, the Blue Jays are envisioning an Arencibia-Blanco catching duo, with Thole on standby in Buffalo a short drive away down the QEW.

"(Thole's) caught R.A. with great success in the past," said Anthopoulos. "We have R.A. for the next three or four years. [Thole] has been an everyday player.

"Right now he's competing to be a backup, but the fact that he's shown enough durability to catch 100 games or more a few years, there's certainly some value there as well. If something was to happen to J.P., Henry Blanco just cannot play every day."

vCash
    Blanco only has 50 innings with Dickey if i'm not mistaken, Thole has around 1500. So even though in those 50 innings Blanco has better numbers, it doesn't really say much.
    Dickey has just over 1000 IP....

vCash
    Thole has 424 IP, doesn't change my picture much.
    Funny part, Nickeas has 82 IP which is also more than Blanco.

vCash
    Thole has 424 IP, doesn't change my picture much.
    Funny part, Nickeas has 82 IP which is also more than Blanco.
    I can agree with you there. But I also give you kudos for not inflating the numbers by over 300% to try and make a point.

But the reality is that Blanco has to earn his spot. He is on a non-guaranteed deal so if he gets outplayed we cut him without losing a thing. This move makes total sense because there is basically no chance it goes bad for us.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12