Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Jays Sign Henry Blanco

The Blue Jays announced that they signed catcher Henry Blanco to a non-guaranteed deal for the 2013 season. The 41-year-old Elite Sports Group client would earn $750K at the MLB level.
    Depth at catcher who also caught Dickey. Blanco has never had a negative defensive WAR.

Dickey has also said that Blanco is the best at catching his knuckleball.

The stats prove that with Thole and Nickeas right behind him.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ear=Career&t=p

vCash
    Does it mean we need to cut someone out of the 40 list? I'm no expert but it seems odd as you already have 2 catchers just for him plus J.P is working at it as well. I guess AA is trying to insure his big investment.

vCash
    Never mind, just found this.

Left-hander Tommy Hottovy has been designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.

vCash
    I think he's better than both Thole and Nickeas so i'd rather have him on the ML roster

vCash
    Depth move...likely wont make it but never hurts to give a guy a non-guaranteed try...

vCash
    What does a non guarantee 750k mean?

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Didn't we get 2 catchers from the Mets for Dickey to catch? Now we have 3?

I really liked Hottovy.

Why does AA claim these guys if he gets rid of them a day later?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    Didn't we get 2 catchers from the Mets for Dickey to catch? Now we have 3?

I really liked Hottovy.

Why does AA claim these guys if he gets rid of them a day later?
    Trying to sneak them through waivers so they can add depth to our AAA teams which can give us depth in the pen if needed.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipmike View Post
    Trying to sneak them through waivers so they can add depth to our AAA teams which can give us depth in the pen if needed.
    Thanks. I got that.

My question is he's picked up 2 good players in the last 2 weeks and let's them go by signing others. I think every other ML team see what we see and will claim them.

It just...looking outside in...that there's no long term planning...just hoping. If you cliam someone that's good...put them on the 40 man. Good players are good players.
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    Who said Hottovy was any good though? If you squeeze him through waivers, cool, if not, he's really not worth burning your last 40 man spot on. Especially when you're a team that's still searching for the last guy to round out your major league bench.

vCash
    Thanks. I got that.

My question is he's picked up 2 good players in the last 2 weeks and let's them go by signing others. I think every other ML team see what we see and will claim them.

It just...looking outside in...that there's no long term planning...just hoping. If you cliam someone that's good...put them on the 40 man. Good players are good players.
    It isn't just AA and the Jays. If you've been following the waiver wire, you see that many teams have been doing the same thing. It seems (and maybe it's just my perception) that it's been more pervasive throughout baseball this off season. I wonder if the new CBA has affected the approach teams are taking with regards to catching players off waivers.
    Last edited by fmradioguy; 01-11-2013 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Thanks. I got that.

That's the plan... There is still a lot of time in the off-season so not a lot of players are willing to sign minor league contracts.... yet. AA wants to fill his AAA roster out especially if they expect Oliver to retire. If that's the case then guys like Cecil or even Loup may have to start in the majors leaving voids in the minors.

He is trying to find guys who fit the team's needs who can provide depth in the minors who can be effective with short stints in the majors. They are good players to have in the minors as depth guys but not good enough (yet) to hold a roster spot.

He is being creative trying to fill holes this 'early' in the off-season. There is nothing more to it; most of the time it is not going to work but sometimes it will.

The Rangers used their last 40 man roster spot on Berkman. They DFA'd Hottovy to make room; the Jays claimed him knowing that the Rangers are full in hopes to DFA him themselves to sneak him through to have him as depth in the minors. It likely wont work but its work a shot; the Jays lose absolutely nothing. There is a method to AA's 'madness' - A few of these DFAs will work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    I think he's better than both Thole and Nickeas so i'd rather have him on the ML roster
    I agree though i dont think Blanco can or should play more than 30 games. Nickeas will probably be DFA just before opening day to be sent to AAA. No one will claim him for their 25 man roster because he is pretty bad but no one will view him as a backup catcher or will use a spot on their roster to carry 3 catchers. AA only wanted him because he caught Dickey before just in case Thole gets hurt.

That being said Blanco's spot is not guaranteed. I think Blanco and Nickeas battle it out for the 3rd catchers spot where Thole will be the primary backup due to his familiarity with Dickey.

vCash
    I too was suprised when interviwed that Dickey said the best catcher he has ever had was Blanco.
    Would have been easy for him to just say it was Thole.

vCash
    Blanco only has 50 innings with Dickey if i'm not mistaken, Thole has around 1500. So even though in those 50 innings Blanco has better numbers, it doesn't really say much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast