Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

I believe Peterson will break Smith's record

If I'm not mistaken Peterson is less than a few hundred yards away from Smith's pace given what they both accomplished after 6 years. Emmitt Smith made the transition from elite player to compiling average player at age 27. For most of his career he was just a guy who racked up carries.

Can AP do that as well? Why not? The difference is Adrian Peterson is still an impact player and will probably be an impact player into his early 30s like Walter Payton because his skill is beyond that of maybe 2-3 backs in the history of the league.

Looking at the numbers longevity is more of a factor in accumulating rushing yards than actual sustained dominance. So Peterson may not have the mind boggling durability to lead the NFL in career carries by far. But I think he can offset that with being a highly productive, high ypc player.

It's rare to improve as a Running Back deep into your career. Barry Sanders did it. Walter Payton did it. Jim Browns back half was more impressive than his front half.

Peterson looks to be that rare back who gets better with age and mileage.

He will break the record one day in my opinion.

vCash
    No way. AP will break down too early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    No way. AP will break down too early.
    I don't know his production thus far in his career is more due to efficiency rather than touches. I'm not seeing a Terrell Davis, Ladainian Tomlinson workload here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    I don't know his production thus far in his career is more due to efficiency rather than touches. I'm not seeing a Terrell Davis, Ladainian Tomlinson workload here.
    Go look at his yards after contact percentage this year. Now think about how many hits he's taking. Now imagine him playing until he's as old as Emmitt. I don't see it.

vCash
    Smith hung around a long time, he played two meaningless years with the Cardinals. I think he'd do it easily if he played as many games as Smith, but his injury history and the league migrating to two-back systems will ultimately keep him from breaking Smith's record. He'll finish top 5 at least though and he's clearly the best RB of this era.

vCash
    In all honesty, Smith has too many yards I think for Peterson to catch. However, most yards does not mean best. I think Peterson is the best RB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFtw View Post
    In all honesty, Smith has too many yards I think for Peterson to catch. However, most yards does not mean best. I think Peterson is the best RB.
    OF ALL TIME?! Or just better than Smith?

vCash
    Go look at his yards after contact percentage this year. Now think about how many hits he's taking. Now imagine him playing until he's as old as Emmitt. I don't see it.
    His style is physical, but different than the prototypical power back. He's nowhere near the thickness and power of Campbell and Jamal Lewis type backs. He's more like O.J. Simpson or Walter Payton. Powerful, yet graceful and well rounded. He's not taking unnecessary contact anymore cuz he's wised up.

I wouldn't be worried about stiff arms and running through arm tackles. It's the Campbell/Lewis style of just being so damn big that would scare me. Which he is not.

vCash
    OF ALL TIME?! Or just better than Smith?
    Of all time. But it might just be me being a homer. But definitely better than Smith. I think Smith was just durable, and had great vision and ball handling.

vCash
    Peterson is the LeBron of the NFL. 6'1'' 225 lbs...and he runs a 4.38 forty-yard dash.

His physicality, strength, and speed are an unmatched combination in this league. But like LeBron, he definitely needs some help. He can prolong his career if Minnesota develops a passing game to ease the pressure up front.

If he keeps facing 8 guys in the box, he won't last nearly long enough to break Smith's record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    His style is physical, but different than the prototypical power back. He's nowhere near the thickness and power of Campbell and Jamal Lewis type backs. He's more like O.J. Simpson or Walter Payton. Powerful, yet graceful and well rounded. He's not taking unnecessary contact anymore cuz he's wised up.

I wouldn't be worried about stiff arms and running through arm tackles. It's the Campbell/Lewis style of just being so damn big that would scare me. Which he is not.
    8,849- AP's yards.

18,355 Smiths.

Right now AP IS 9,506 behind him. Peterson has been in the league for six years, and has averaged 1,475 yards a season. At this rate, AP would need 7 more seasons at this rate. In which he would be 34. So lets say he has 3 more at 1,475. He now is 30 and has 5,081 to go. Let's say he plays 5 more years. He needs 1,000+ a season after that. It's difficult. At his average of 5.0 YPC he needs 1,901 carries to catch him. Right now he has 1,754.

vCash
    He's not human, you'll saw it this year. I don't see him breaking down early, loves the game too much and is too determined of player to let age substantially factor in his game.

vCash
    No I doubt it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TC119 View Post
    Smith hung around a long time, he played two meaningless years with the Cardinals. I think he'd do it easily if he played as many games as Smith, but his injury history and the league migrating to two-back systems will ultimately keep him from breaking Smith's record. He'll finish top 5 at least though and he's clearly the best RB of this era.
    Really? He had over 1,000 total yards in his last season with Arizona.

Peterson needs almost 10,000 more yards to catch Emmitt. There is no way in hell he's getting that. He will never last that long.

NYK
    NYY
    STJ
    BIG D
    NYR
    JUVE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MinnesotaFtw View Post
    Of all time. But it might just be me being a homer. But definitely better than Smith. I think Smith was just durable, and had great vision and ball handling.
    You just pretty much named everything that makes you the best for a RB -_-...AP is nowhere NEAR the greatest of all time.. blasphemy!!!!... Barry Sander. Smith, Walter Payton and LT are all better then AP. he has only been playing for a number of years.. Hes one bad turn or hit on that leg from being out for his career so lets wait a few year before we start this Smith=AP talk. BOOBIE MILES!!!!!!!
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4ESkVmxCzCA/TJgFFqxdhmI/AAAAAAAAACQ/yEaxqznjzxc/s1600/anderson-silva-vs-chael-sonnen.jpg
    Diamondbacks
    Tampa Bucs
    PHX Suns
    Coyotes
    kyle MMA record 1-0

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast