Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Post 2013 Salary Cap (Giants Cap Space As of 3/27 - $4.5m)

Giants salary cap projection

January, 11, 2013
    By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com

Jerry Reese says the Giants will look different next season.

He doesn’t intend to start a massive overhaul, but he will need to add a few new pieces. And the GM might have to say goodbye to some familiar old faces with the Giants projected to be $4.7 million over the cap in 2013 according to John Clayton’s cap numbers. Clayton says the Giants will carry over $1 million.

According to Clayton, the cap is “growing at only $300,000 a year.” So with last year's cap at $120.6 million, the cap could be around $121 million this coming season.

So if the Giants have to shed close to $5 million, Reese will have some tinkering to do. The Giants have a lot of free agents and restricted free agents to take care of such as Victor Cruz, Will Beatty, Osi Umenyiora, Kevin Boothe, Stevie Brown and Martellus Bennett.

So the Giants will have to do what they have done in the past couple of seasons and that’s some cap maneuvering. Here’s a list of a few veterans who could be impacted by the cap and may be candidates to restructure their contracts:

• RT David Diehl: The veteran, who has helped the team win two Super Bowls, will make $4.1 million in base salary in the final year of his deal. The Giants have to re-sign Beatty and Boothe and have T James Brewer waiting in wings.

• CB Corey Webster: Struggled this past season and is entering final year of deal worth $7 million in base salary.

• LB Michael Boley: Set to make $4.25 in base salary in final year of deal. Saw snaps reduced dramatically in final couple of games.

• RB Ahmad Bradshaw: Sounded very nostalgic and unsure about his own future toward the end of the season. But Tom Coughlin wants multiple running backs and loves Bradshaw, who will make $3.75 in base salary next season.

• DE Justin Tuck: Reese and Coughlin said he’s likely returning for final year, worth $4.5 million in base salary.

• DT Chris Canty: Veteran is due $6.25 million in base next season, could be candidate to restructure.

Other Giants veterans who aren’t going anywhere but will make a sizeable amount in 2013 include RG Chris Snee ($6.45 million), S Antrel Rolle ($7 million), C David Baas (4.25 million) and QB Eli Manning ($13 million).
    ESPN

vCash
    Damn looking at those numbers we have a bad habit of either overpaying or structuring contracts so that their big numbers wind up in the same year.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by .Sean. View Post
    Damn looking at those numbers we have a bad habit of either overpaying or structuring contracts so that their big numbers wind up in the same year.
    Too much restructuring. End up with too many backloaded deals at the same time. We overpaid Boley and Canty, not even based on worth, but based on what we really could afford at the time. They never should have gave that contract to Bradshaw. Webster, Tuck, Diehl, etc restructuring all caught up.....it's the perfect storm.

Now they gotta get out of some contracts.

vCash
    the giants are gonna have to cut some players.

vCash
    Anyone else see Cruz or Nicks moved this offseason? Lets be honest, when you have a 20 million dollar QB (which he will be come next contract), you can't afford to have to WR's making 9+ million per year. I say we move one this offseason, and part ways with some vets.

KP and Osi would make sense for Dallas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    Anyone else see Cruz or Nicks moved this offseason? Lets be honest, when you have a 20 million dollar QB (which he will be come next contract), you can't afford to have to WR's making 9+ million per year. I say we move one this offseason, and part ways with some vets.

KP and Osi would make sense for Dallas.
    The new CBA structure will threatenen the middle class. It will be a league of very rich and very not so rich. More and more veterans, whoose initial salaries were high, getting replaced by draft picks which get paid a minimum for four years. A raise off a minimum isn't going to be as significant as years past unless you're special.

A lucrative 3 yr deal for Cruz would have his contract expire just when Randle's deal is up. Nicks will get his too. Add in JPP and the Giants, like everybody, just need to continue drafting well.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 01-12-2013 at 10:12 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    The new CBA structure will threatenen the middle class. It will be a league of very rich and very not so rich. More and more veterans, whoose initial salaries were high, getting replaced by draft picks which get paid a minimum for four years. A raise off a minimum isn't going to be as significant as years past unless you're special.

A lucrative 3 yr deal for Cruz would have his contract expire just when Randle's deal is up. Nicks will get his too. Add in JPP and the Giants, like everybody, just need to continue drafting well.
    Yeah you are making sense, however when you start looking at the numbers, we're looking at:

Cruz: 10 mil (if 3 years only)
    Nicks - 8-9 Mil - Longterm
    JPP - Dear god, if he continues to develop, 12-16 mil (likely starting next year)
    Eli - 15-17 million until 2015, 18-20 mil after that.

That's not really how the Giants build their teams. That's 52 million on 4 players per year.

I personally see Eli, JPP (pending he continues to improve), and Cruz or Nicks being the cornerstones. The rest Eli can make work on offense which is what Elite QB's do. You don't need 2 standout WR's making top dollar when you have a QB that can make WR's into very good players (manningham, Cruz, Nicks, Steve Smith).

vCash
    I would prefer a 3-5 year contract for Bennett at 3 mil per if possible. Sign Bear to an extension, he's serviceable and would be near league minimum (protects against a hynoski injury which is key). Beckum walks, get a vet as #3 (schiancoe/shockey type) if none of the kids are ready (Robinson, etc...).

Bradshaw to be left to walk next year and a vet to come in as #3. Role with Wilson on the cheap, Andre Brown on the cheap, and the vet. 4th being an inactive young kid to groom.

Extend Beatty, promote Brewer, get a solid Vet to backup (a la locklear and draft a kid mid rounds).

I'd personally just extend Booth for another 2 years and draft a kid mid rounds for guard/center to develop (hopefully works out better than Petrus).

That's that for offense, biggest money hits are Eli (15-17 mil), Cruz/Nicks (around 10), Beatty/Snee/Baas/Bradshaw.

I want to keep Linval on defense so he will need to be extended soon, JPP of course (unless completely unrealistic in which we tag him), Prince is around for a while cheap, Webster gone or reduced price as of this year, Rolle hopefully extend and get him down to around 6-7 mil per year and then invest in a solid LB or draft high. Kiwi back to the line dominating 1 on 1's.

I see us needing to use our high draft picks on Tackle (only if Beatty doesn't resign), DE and DT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GMenFanSince90 View Post
    I would prefer a 3-5 year contract for Bennett at 3 mil per if possible. Sign Bear to an extension, he's serviceable and would be near league minimum (protects against a hynoski injury which is key). Beckum walks, get a vet as #3 (schiancoe/shockey type) if none of the kids are ready (Robinson, etc...).

Bradshaw to be left to walk next year and a vet to come in as #3. Role with Wilson on the cheap, Andre Brown on the cheap, and the vet. 4th being an inactive young kid to groom.

Extend Beatty, promote Brewer, get a solid Vet to backup (a la locklear and draft a kid mid rounds).

I'd personally just extend Booth for another 2 years and draft a kid mid rounds for guard/center to develop (hopefully works out better than Petrus).

That's that for offense, biggest money hits are Eli (15-17 mil), Cruz/Nicks (around 10), Beatty/Snee/Baas/Bradshaw.

I want to keep Linval on defense so he will need to be extended soon, JPP of course (unless completely unrealistic in which we tag him), Prince is around for a while cheap, Webster gone or reduced price as of this year, Rolle hopefully extend and get him down to around 6-7 mil per year and then invest in a solid LB or draft high. Kiwi back to the line dominating 1 on 1's.

I see us needing to use our high draft picks on Tackle (only if Beatty doesn't resign), DE and DT.
    I don't think Brewer is ready, not even close and I don't think the coaching staff likes his work ethic and toughness.. There's been a few quotes that indicate that..

vCash
    I think Brewer sucks
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    I think Brewer sucks
    Yea, he was a project guy who just isn't getting it..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    Yea, he was a project guy who just isn't getting it..
    what about McCants or Mosley? I'm sure they're going to get their opportunity to fight for some playing time....
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    [B][COLOR="Blue"]13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

"How come Eli don't feed me the ball no more?"
    Don't know Larry. Don't know.

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    what about McCants or Mosley? I'm sure they're going to get their opportunity to fight for some playing time....
    They released Mccants..

Mosley who knows.. Neither showed anything..

vCash
    How about moving tuck? He's 30 and shows signs of declining . boley could be moved if we trust our draft or a cheaper f/a as they're both older and we probably want to get a lot younger over all . (JPP being young , prince , RR, DW most ppl are young and Eli can stay lol).

There's players to draft this year to replace everyone if we can get the picks we might be able to pull off signing vets just incase/mentor type thing with some cap relief?

vCash

Superbowl winning teams usually end up costing more. The only team that appears to manage it well are the Pats. Then again, Eli kinda wrecked their Superbowl's.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast