Giants salary cap projection
January, 11, 2013
By Ohm Youngmisuk | ESPNNewYork.com
Jerry Reese says the Giants will look different next season.
He doesn’t intend to start a massive overhaul, but he will need to add a few new pieces. And the GM might have to say goodbye to some familiar old faces with the Giants projected to be $4.7 million over the cap in 2013 according to John Clayton’s cap numbers. Clayton says the Giants will carry over $1 million.
According to Clayton, the cap is “growing at only $300,000 a year.” So with last year's cap at $120.6 million, the cap could be around $121 million this coming season.
So if the Giants have to shed close to $5 million, Reese will have some tinkering to do. The Giants have a lot of free agents and restricted free agents to take care of such as Victor Cruz, Will Beatty, Osi Umenyiora, Kevin Boothe, Stevie Brown and Martellus Bennett.
So the Giants will have to do what they have done in the past couple of seasons and that’s some cap maneuvering. Here’s a list of a few veterans who could be impacted by the cap and may be candidates to restructure their contracts:
• RT David Diehl: The veteran, who has helped the team win two Super Bowls, will make $4.1 million in base salary in the final year of his deal. The Giants have to re-sign Beatty and Boothe and have T James Brewer waiting in wings.
• CB Corey Webster: Struggled this past season and is entering final year of deal worth $7 million in base salary.
• LB Michael Boley: Set to make $4.25 in base salary in final year of deal. Saw snaps reduced dramatically in final couple of games.
• RB Ahmad Bradshaw: Sounded very nostalgic and unsure about his own future toward the end of the season. But Tom Coughlin wants multiple running backs and loves Bradshaw, who will make $3.75 in base salary next season.
• DE Justin Tuck: Reese and Coughlin said he’s likely returning for final year, worth $4.5 million in base salary.
• DT Chris Canty: Veteran is due $6.25 million in base next season, could be candidate to restructure.
Other Giants veterans who aren’t going anywhere but will make a sizeable amount in 2013 include RG Chris Snee ($6.45 million), S Antrel Rolle ($7 million), C David Baas (4.25 million) and QB Eli Manning ($13 million).