Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'd be far too worried to dish so many prospects in a deal for Upton, especially because we aren't built to win anytime soon. He has had two good seasons, two okay seasons, and a bad one.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    If we got Upton, I'd be so hype.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Honestly to match the package of Franklin/Walker the Mets would have to deal Wheeler/Flores, but Wheeler is untouchable unless the FO feels they can part with him with Syndergaard on board and a guy who has similar potential or they can flip Syndergaard instead of Wheeler.

...so a deal of Syndergaard/Flores as the main prospects and possibly Gee along with something else?
    I'd be hyped if we got Upton without giving up Wheeler or Harvey. I'd send them Niese+Flores as a centerpiece IF that was possible. It'd take more than that though.

If it was Syndergaard+Flores and lower level guys, I'd do that too.... but again, I still think it'd take more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I'd be hyped if we got Upton without giving up Wheeler or Harvey. I'd send them Niese+Flores as a centerpiece IF that was possible. It'd take more than that though.

If it was Syndergaard+Flores and lower level guys, I'd do that too.... but again, I still think it'd take more.
    I don't love the idea of dealing Niese when we just got rid of Dickey.

We can't afford to just deal away quality major league SP even with our minor league depth.

Syndegaard, Flores, and others make more sense but if the Dbacks wanted Walker i don't think they move away from a deal involving Wheeler.

If that's the case then no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Franklin = Flores
    Walker = Syndergaard
    Furbush = Familia
    Pryor = Mejia

Throw in Cory Vaughn as a parting gift.

I still make that deal.
    How does Walker = Syndergaard

Seriously, explain this. Maybe I'm missing something? The only explaination seems like it's just that you don't know how good other teams prospects are or haven't looked at overall prospect rankings. Looked at multiple prospect rankings, you'll see that all have Walker as a top 10 OVERALL MLB prospect, just ahead of Wheeler in most cases.

I've seen Walker ranked 5th with Wheeler 7th. Also Walker ranked 4th overall with Wheeler 6th.

So, Walker = Wheeler

Now do you do that trade?

vCash
    Makes no sense, Seattle offered 3 of their top six prospects, so we'll be giving up the same, they'd want MH or Wheeler to start, if not it's a 25 year lefty on a great contract. You can't call Wheeler and Syndergaard a wash because Wheeler is 3 baseball months away not two years minimum.

Who wants to part with TDA when top catching prospects are the rarest commodity in baseball?

Plus, a big soon to be $15M year deal?

Two bad seasons from three in a great hitters park?

Spend some money and get a good hitter.

vCash
    The Mets would never do that deal.

The D-Backs might have to settle for a lesser package if Seattle is the only suitor.

Murphy, Flores, Syndergaard, Familia, and Nimmo could work maybe.

Great thing about Upton is that he is still 25 years old, so he's a long term asset.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    The Mets would never do that.

The D-Backs might have to settle for a lesser package if Seattle is the only suitor.

Murphy, Flores, Syndergaard, Familia, and Nimmo could work maybe.

A 5 for 1 for Upton?

That's our 2 best hitting prospects for Upton and his huge deal, plus our 2B, who granted I'm not a big fan of, plus a good relief prospect plus a very good pitching prospect?

Insane.

We've just started building up a farm and now it's time to start draining it for less than sure thing player?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I don't love the idea of dealing Niese when we just got rid of Dickey.

We can't afford to just deal away quality major league SP even with our minor league depth.

Syndegaard, Flores, and others make more sense but if the Dbacks wanted Walker i don't think they move away from a deal involving Wheeler.

If that's the case then no.
    I see what you're saying here and agree to an extent. I agree that I wouldn't want to give up Wheeler, but that's what they will likely insist on since they were going to get Walker.

But also, I don't think Niese = Upton at all. Ignoring team needs and just based on the player alone, Upton is worth more than Niese, so if we can get him and we have to include Niese and will keep Wheeler, then I think we have to do it. I understand you don't wanna open another SP spot but at the same time, we literally have no OFers on this team. We barely have any 4th OFers. So it's give and take and I think right now for a rebuilding team, we need to keep adding the best possible players and Upton is the better player, regardless of position.

Hopefully because we include Niese, a good young lefty SP, that we could end up keeping Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, and Gee. Plus with Tapia and Montero in the lower levels, we still have good pitching prospects. I don't think we can walk away from this if it's just Niese as the centerpiece.

That's my opinion

vCash
    Trading Niese would be a huge mistake.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Trading Niese would be a huge mistake.
    I agree. Pitching wins and we've just lost an ace. No time to be losing a 25 year old establish quality SP.

vCash
    Seriously, all the people who have talking about not risking the future, this is exactly that.

A huge gamble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    I see what you're saying here and agree to an extent. I agree that I wouldn't want to give up Wheeler, but that's what they will likely insist on since they were going to get Walker.

But also, I don't think Niese = Upton at all. Ignoring team needs and just based on the player alone, Upton is worth more than Niese, so if we can get him and we have to include Niese and will keep Wheeler, then I think we have to do it. I understand you don't wanna open another SP spot but at the same time, we literally have no OFers on this team. We barely have any 4th OFers. So it's give and take and I think right now for a rebuilding team, we need to keep adding the best possible players and Upton is the better player, regardless of position.

Hopefully because we include Niese, a good young lefty SP, that we could end up keeping Harvey, Wheeler, Syndergaard, and Gee. Plus with Tapia and Montero in the lower levels, we still have good pitching prospects. I don't think we can walk away from this if it's just Niese as the centerpiece.

That's my opinion
    I understand your point and we certainly have more pitching depth than we do OF depth (can we even call it OF depth lol). It's just at that point they will have to find a quality pitcher to fill that spot.

There is a pretty good chance Niese will be our #1 this year (maybe not in title but certainly in performance) and even with Harvey and Wheelers upside Niese + other specs is a big price to pay for Upton.

It's hard not to fall in love with Upton's potential and his age but i am just really suspect of a guy that sees such huge disparities in his home and road splits. A career .307 hitter at Chase Field is not going to translate to that type of offensive production in Citi Field.

It just seems like the Mets are gonna overpay player wise if they look to acquire Upton and he to me is the wrong player to overpay for.

vCash
    Can't see them giving up a young and controllable arm in any deal. Maybe Syndergaard.

Eh, this deal has very little chance of happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Seriously, all the people who have talking about not risking the future, this is exactly that.

A huge gamble.
    Well to be fair Upton has proven he can succeed on the major league level already and still has plenty of upside.

Saying that, i don't think this trade matches up well for the Mets because of there reluctance to move Wheeler.

If Walker was the centerpiece of the Mariners deal they are gonna want Harvey or Wheeler.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-11-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast