Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast
    vCash
    You're definitely right about the defense and pitching part, but a major reason why the Giants come up short in homers is because they play in an extreme pitcher's park in AT&T.

However, people don't realize that the Giants were 5th in WAR from their batters, and 9th in wRC+ so it definitely wasn't all pitching and defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    They're not gonna get Upton. Who do they have to trade for him? The Mariners offered four players for Upton. What four players are we gonna trade?
    Alderson kicked the tires as he should have to assess how bad the D-backs want to move JU. Alderson should do that for most every player on the market. He kicked, and walked away. But that's what get deals started down the road. Frank Cashen kicked the tire on Gary Carter a year before a deal was made. Maybe in a year the Mets get Upton...but not in 2013, IMO, and not for some jacked up price tag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Alderson kicked the tires as he should have to assess how bad the D-backs want to move JU. Alderson should do that for most every player on the market. He kicked, and walked away. But that's what get deals started down the road. Frank Cashen kicked the tire on Gary Carter a year before a deal was made. Maybe in a year the Mets get Upton...but not in 2013, IMO, and not for some jacked up price tag.
    The price will go down as the get closer to the season and desperate to move an OFer. If not, no dice. Pretty simple really.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    The price will go down as the get closer to the season and desperate to move an OFer. If not, no dice. Pretty simple really.
    Why would they get desperate?, they have the player and the teams wanting to get a bat like Upton will likely get desperate and is not like Upton is a free agent at the end of the season either. They do not have to trade him now or get a smaller return in July.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    Who cares about HRs and why the love affair with HRs ? Do you know which team was dead last,last year in HRS in all of baseball ...ANSWER, The San Francisco Giants that's who !!!

Give me clutch hitting, excellent defense and pitching and I couldn't care less about HRs.
    Yes the San Francisco Giants were dead last.. But, 5 of the other 9 playoff teams were in the top 10 in home runs. And every team in the playoffs hit more home runs than the Mets. I'm not saying pitching and defense won't win, but why not have pitching, defense, and power if possible.

The Mets need to be more dimensional then just singles hitters. They need to be able to drive the ball and be able to hit home runs late in innings. Or they'll end up just like they were in 2012. When down 2 in the 8th or 9th we need 4 hits to tie, where a team that can hit home runs only needs a bloop and a blast.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Tell em Sick, when a player or two of the Mets gets near free agency like Niese or Ike, why not make them available for prospects or young talent. If we could secure a deal like for RA, why not offer him up. If someone bites, bingo. If we can't afford to lose Ike, Niese, or who ever then the alternative is to consider paying the piper. Sign them for bigger contract. But I think SA prefers to sign them to a contract which buys them out of arbitration and pushes back free agency and not get caught up in a Boras long term deal deeper into 30 age bracket.

In Upton, market and lets see what we can get. If the right package isn't forth coming today, then maybe we'll hold on to him a bit longer.
    " You seek Yoda!

Brooklyn to Denver to L.A. to Denver and back to L.A.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    Who cares about HRs and why the love affair with HRs ? Do you know which team was dead last,last year in HRS in all of baseball ...ANSWER, The San Francisco Giants that's who !!!

Give me clutch hitting, excellent defense and pitching and I couldn't care less about HRs.
    Any day, any time....

My Vote For 2014 Mets Starting SS.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87
    Denver Rockets/Nuggets Dieharder Since '73

ua you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rogue5 View Post
    I want dice. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKhHcTCDF5E

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    Reports saying Braves and D'backs resume talks.. Braves are real aggressive and the proposal is said to be strong.. Looks like he's gonna be a brave
    #oneatatime

vCash
    The Diamondbacks want to make a decision on trading Jason Kubel or Justin Upton by Friday, people involved in the process tell Olney. Arizona had an agreement with the Mariners on an Upton deal earlier this offseason but the 25-year-old used his limited veto power to shoot the trade down.

Meanwhile, Arizona's talks with the Braves on Upton have resumed (Twitter link). Atlanta is said to be aggressive about acquiring Upton and they're likely the frontrunner for the outfielder if he is dealt. The D'Backs have been reviewing the Braves' offer and some folks involved believe that it's a strong proposal, according to Olney.

The asking price for Kubel is dropping and Baltimore would be a logical landing spot for him, Olney tweets. Earlier today it was reported that the O's are pursuing Kubel but talks are not yet at an advanced stage.
    Secret source..

Honestly think there is a better chance Kubel gets dealt if its one or the other.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-23-2013 at 04:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...medium=twitter

Honestly think there is a better chance Kubel gets dealt if its one or the other.
    That article makes it seem like the Braves could have Upton by the end of the day. That outfield would be stacked for 5-10 years.. A move a true championship organization makes.. Instead we sit back and watch every division rival gather a core group of young players regardless of the asking prices both trade value and monetary wise.

Upton should have been a Met weeks ago. Embarrassing
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    That article makes it seem like the Braves could have Upton by the end of the day. That outfield would be stacked for 5-10 years.. A move a true championship organization makes.. Instead we sit back and watch every division rival gather a core group of young players regardless of the asking prices both trade value and monetary wise.

A deal for Upton would probably involve Zack Wheeler as the centerpiece though. I mean they did want Taijuan Walker from Seattle and he's a similarly rated prospect.

I don't think you can make a deal like that if that's the asking price.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-23-2013 at 04:37 PM.

vCash
    All we talk about is our pitching depth in the minors.. And how we should deal from position of strength for position of need.. WELL wake up people. We have zero outfielders on the mlb club and next to nothing in terms of OF prospects.. I'd say Upton is priority number 1 at this point.

I'm not saying I'd deal Wheeler for Upton.. But this whole "Can't give him up mentality" is a little too far.
    But I would strongly consider dealing Wheeler... and if it only cost Wheeler + a few decent prospects well then I'd do it. If it cost Flores and Wheeler than is too much and so is Wheeler and Syndergaard. But any other package is fair value for a player of Uptons caliber.
    #oneatatime

vCash

The Braves already had a foundation and they went out and added to it. Something we are in the process of doing. Sure Upton could have been a Met a week ago because we have the pieces. However we don't have the depth through out our entire organization to make the move like the Braves do.

vCash
    All we talk about is our pitching depth in the minors.. And how we should deal from position of strength for position of need.. WELL wake up people. We have zero outfielders on the mlb club and next to nothing in terms of OF prospects.. I'd say Upton is priority number 1 at this point.

I'm not saying I'd deal Wheeler for Upton.. But this whole "Can't give him up mentality" is a little too far.
    But I would strongly consider dealing Wheeler... and if it only cost Wheeler + a few decent prospects well then I'd do it. If it cost Flores and Wheeler than is too much and so is Wheeler and Syndergaard. But any other package is fair value for a player of Uptons caliber.
    Well we would have to give up Wheeler plus more prospects. Seattle was giving up a ton and the Braves package will be around the same caliber. There is no way we get Upton without Wheeler.

Page 28 of 30 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 LastLast