Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Cool Is there life in Portland again?

Portland has been a gutsy team so far this season, showing great effort and winning multiple comeback games. Players appear to be loving it, crowd loves it. Lillard is a stud, Batum makes big shots, and Aldridge has been good.

So, could they be talking championship in the next 3 or so years?

What are they missing? Great comeback against Miami last night, too.

She can turn my "Paige" anytime!

vCash
    Not much really. Meyers Leonard is currently out with an ankle injury and the bench is non existent, however the blazers do have 13 mil to spend next year + hickson is expiring..

Assuming JJ Hickson tests FA, he should get about 9 mil, which leaves between 7 & 10 mil to bring in a guard to spell the backcourt.

vCash
    you can't buy chemestry... or a stud point guard

but if we could add some firepower in the second unit and get Meyers healthy I like our squad... alot

vCash
    I kind of am hoping the team falls back a little before the season is over and goes into the 11-13 spot for the draft so they can keep their pick. Not that I wouldn't love to see the Blazers make the playoffs, and I would not be mad if that happened. Just saying, the team could use that first round pick on a guy to put on the bench, but they lost it if it is outside of the top 13. I would rather the team get close and get experience, resign Hickson, draft a guy, and sign a bench guy than get an 8 seed, lose in the first round, and not get to draft anybody without a trade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Rogers View Post
    Not much really. Meyers Leonard is currently out with an ankle injury and the bench is non existent, however the blazers do have 13 mil to spend next year + hickson is expiring..

Assuming JJ Hickson tests FA, he should get about 9 mil, which leaves between 7 & 10 mil to bring in a guard to spell the backcourt.
    we have 13.5 which include the expiring hickson. if we resigned him we have like 3.5 left.

we need a defensive center and a scorer off the bench.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC27 View Post
    we have 13.5 which include the expiring hickson. if we resigned him we have like 3.5 left.

we need a defensive center and a scorer off the bench.
    I agreed with this plus one. I think we need a defensive center (Leonard hasn't proven this yet), a scorer off the bench (Rip, Mayo, Evan, etc---This will cost us), and a veteran point off the bench (Would Miller come back for mid-level?)
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kao Sorn View Post
    I agreed with this plus one. I think we need a defensive center (Leonard hasn't proven this yet), a scorer off the bench (Rip, Mayo, Evan, etc---This will cost us), and a veteran point off the bench (Would Miller come back for mid-level?)
    Sorry but no to Miller, strike that, Hell ****ing No!

Aside from not wanting him near this team he happens to be exact opposite of what we need. We a defensive guard. and a sg/sf who can score. Miller can't guard anyone other then Fisher.

vCash
    I'm convinced that there isn't such a thing as a defensive point guard (All speedy point guards get there points). Rather have the craftiness that helped Aldridge and Matthews so much. Would think the Leonard would excel with that type of point guard...Lillard is a different point guard and will be asked to score himself----Miller is always looking to get that easy bucket. We don't have any crafty players. All our points come from speed, strength and good rotation. When all else fails sometimes you need that veteran know how to get a bucket.

Miller is just an example but any veteran like Kidd, Billups, Miller, Nash, Grant Hill, etc will do. Something we lack but could use. If we can get it in the form of a scorer like Allen, Rip, or Terry that would be great also.
    Last edited by Kao Sorn; 01-11-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    So Say We All!!!

vCash
    i believe i am in the minority in saying miller was extremely underrated on our team. He was the glue, the quarterback. But i think if we want to be contenders, a vet PG would be a must. Miami has done it with bibby (even though he was awful), Mavs did it with kidd, OKC did it with fisher, Lakers did it with fisher, etc etc.

and there are defensive guards. Fisher use to be, westbrook, chris paul etc. it is possible.

i believe leonard is couple years away from being good, and even further from being a defensive big. he has killed us on the defensive end this season, he looks lost. yes it will come, i believe this, but not for a while. thats why i Love the idea of a big banger, or shot blocker, robin lopez for example would be a great sign in the offseason, and pair him with a scorer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjaymes23 View Post
    I kind of am hoping the team falls back a little before the season is over and goes into the 11-13 spot for the draft so they can keep their pick. Not that I wouldn't love to see the Blazers make the playoffs, and I would not be mad if that happened. Just saying, the team could use that first round pick on a guy to put on the bench, but they lost it if it is outside of the top 13. I would rather the team get close and get experience, resign Hickson, draft a guy, and sign a bench guy than get an 8 seed, lose in the first round, and not get to draft anybody without a trade.
    You would turn down a playoff bid for a player that may or may not stick? In most drafts, picking in that range doesn't usually result in a huge return..
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    sorry but we do not need to sign a defensive center, if you do that you might as well get rid of leonard cuz who ever they sign is going to take his minutes thus hurting his development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    You would turn down a playoff bid for a player that may or may not stick? In most drafts, picking in that range doesn't usually result in a huge return..
    Yes I'd rather get a guy like Cauley or Goodwin to add a bench player to this team than make the playoffs as a 8 seed, get swept in the first round by the Thunder, annd only get to draft Second round guys to compete for a backups spot. I'm not rooting against the team, whatever happens happens and I'll be happy. Just saying this team needs more pieces through the draft. It is not ready yet and can probably only add an average C and another bench guy through free agency.

I could honestly see this team as a top tier contender if they get a first round guy this year and sign two guys in free agency. The core is there with Lillard, Aldridge, Batum, and Matthews. This team could be really, really good

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel View Post
    sorry but we do not need to sign a defensive center, if you do that you might as well get rid of leonard cuz who ever they sign is going to take his minutes thus hurting his development.
    you are saying that next year leonard is going to be a starting center for a playoff team? this must be a joke...

leonard, if he develops, is 3 years away from being a starting center for a contender. and if we dont sign anyone we will have ONE center on our team. is he going to play 48 min? no...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    i would rather the 11th pick than 8th or 7th seed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kingjaymes23 View Post
    Yes I'd rather get a guy like Cauley or Goodwin to add a bench player to this team than make the playoffs as a 8 seed, get swept in the first round by the Thunder, annd only get to draft Second round guys to compete for a backups spot. I'm not rooting against the team, whatever happens happens and I'll be happy. Just saying this team needs more pieces through the draft. It is not ready yet and can probably only add an average C and another bench guy through free agency.

I could honestly see this team as a top tier contender if they get a first round guy this year and sign two guys in free agency. The core is there with Lillard, Aldridge, Batum, and Matthews. This team could be really, really good
    I'll never understand the concept of wanting your team to struggle to get a certain player. Getting to the playoffs builds a mindset of expecting to achieve great things, and this team is young and needs that. Getting a dime-a-dozen player isn't going to be the difference between Portland winning a title or not, and this team is going to be built through more important avenues.

Now, if you said that you didn't want to sacrifice our cap flexibility for a bench player during the trade deadline, then I'd understand that. Portland is much more likely to find an impact player through a trade after the season than with a draft pick. This draft isn't particularly strong either...
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast