Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast
    vCash
    Andre Ethier appeared to slowly decline as the year wore on last season. Perhaps he had some nagging health related issues that didn't keep him out of the lineup, but, there is no question about the reduction in production. He has consistently been unable to hit left handed pitchers (last three year's splits are pretty dramatic) and there doesn't appear to be any reason to believe that will change. He is essentially an outfielder who may be better suited in a platoon situation such as with Jason Bay or Caspar Wells, Both of those players seem to hit lefties at a much better rate. For a $ 17MM/yr guy, that is beyond "pricey"

The Mariners should pass on any overtures for Ethier from the unless they are getting a significant portion of his salary paid (half or more), a veteran starting pitcher is included (Capuano or Harang?) and another promising prospect is added.. e.g. Alex Castellanos/Cory Seager/Garcia..

The Justin Upton/Giancarlo Stanton dreams for 2013 and beyond are now a hopefully soon forgotten nightmare...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Andre Ethier appeared to slowly decline as the year wore on last season. Perhaps he had some nagging health related issues that didn't keep him out of the lineup, but, there is no question about the reduction in production. He has consistently been unable to hit left handed pitchers (last three year's splits are pretty dramatic) and there doesn't appear to be any reason to believe that will change. He is essentially an outfielder who may be better suited in a platoon situation such as with Jason Bay or Caspar Wells, Both of those players seem to hit lefties at a much better rate. For a $ 17MM/yr guy, that is beyond "pricey"

The Mariners should pass on any overtures for Ethier from the unless they are getting a significant portion of his salary paid (half or more), a veteran starting pitcher is included (Capuano or Harang?) and another promising prospect is added.. e.g. Alex Castellanos/Cory Seager/Garcia..

The Justin Upton/Giancarlo Stanton dreams for 2013 and beyond are now a hopefully soon forgotten nightmare...
    He didnt drop off that much. His worth month was June.

His power went down a decent amount, but he didn't completely fall off or anything.

First half: .291/.357/.491
    Second half: .278/.345/.431

If we can get him for Maurer only, with the Dodgers eating a large portion of his contract, Id take that deal. Id want like $30M tho, so Ms only pay $11-12M a year.

vCash
    I have almost no idea what, if anything, the asking price is for Andre Ethierm but he wouldn't hurt the Mariners chances.. The Mariners other OF's are so ineffective, that Ethier, even with the splits, looks like an all star on the Mariners. None of Michael Saunders, Franklin Gutierrez or Casper Wells were able to crack the .260 mark in 2012, let alone some of the triple slash lines that have been posted FOR player like Saunders on other threads. With Ibanez, Bay, Eric Thames and Carlos Peguero as the outfield bench, who needs vets on minor league contacts in Tacoma or up and coming Low A ballers??? The Mariners outfield is, to put it mildly, a mess. Even if they can catch the ball.

Ethier would be a huge improvement for the Mariners outfield... that's undeniable and it would be at a cost.. The cost only matters if the return matters.. The Michael Morse sweepstakes seems to be the "next" episode for the Mariners. Episode One.. Josh Hamilton.. Episode Two, Justin Upton, Episode Three Michael Morse !!. FWIW, the quality is waning like Ethier's 2012 performance in the second half of 2012.. Even as bad as Morse is defensively in LF.. and hoping he's healthy enough to play LF.. he would vastly improve the Mariners offense from their outfield. Marc Normandin at SB Nation, had the following to say regarding the availability of Michael Morse & the Mariners:

....Then there are the Mariners, who are, in a way, loaded with first base/corner outfield/designated hitter types, but at the same time, have little to show in that regard. Justin Smoak hasn't done much of anything, at least not consistently, at the major-league level, and will be 26 in 2013. Mike Carp has been up-and-down his entire career, and will be 27 next season. Jesus Montero might be the only one of the bunch who is young enough, and with enough ceiling left over, that he should continue to get chances. Morse could fit in wherever needed, as the Mariners need bats, enough so that they could sacrifice defense for them. And while Safeco is awful for right-handed power, Morse's opposite-field approach would help alleviate some of that. Having both Morse and Kendrys Morales, acquired earlier this off-season, in the lineup, hitting well, could convince free agents that it is actually safe to play in Safeco now that the walls have been moved in...
    Mid January is upon us.. tick tock...

vCash

while i agree that the dodgers can't expect much back in return for ethier and your pretty much repeating what i said in the other thread, i don't see the dodgers giving up any of those prospects, your effectivly suggesting that the dodgers would need to pay someone in prospects to take him off their hands and not get any good prospects in return, i mean if they wanted Dee Gordon that would be one thing, but i wouldn't part with any one you mentioned even Castellanos to just move him and not get anything back.

FWIW LA couldn't trade Olneki Garcia or Seager until like July because they need to be in the system a full year.

vCash
    I want the younger Seager... not that we would be able to get him. But I like Corey's potential more than Kyle...

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    ...your effectivly suggesting that the dodgers would need to pay someone in prospects to take him off their hands and not get any good prospects in return..
    I didn't define what would be going back to the Dodgers in the trade "by design". The first step, imo, determines if interest exists.. The players FROM the Dodgers should have some appeal. I especially like Cory Seagar and Capuano as potential players for the Mariners, but, for different reasons..

The question that wasn't answered: what would the Mariners give up for a group of players that includes Andre Ethier, Chris Capuano and one of Onelki Garcia/Cory Seagar?..

**As far as the clarification for satisfying the CBA on new signees.. we've agreed on another thread to assume that is the case for any suggested trade proposal where a recent signee is involved.. It eliminates the requirement for the poster to exclaim that it would be done as a PTBNL, especially since everyone already knows this and the information being provided about the signing date is a given...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CamraMaan View Post
    I want the younger Seager... not that we would be able to get him. But I like Corey's potential more than Kyle...
    he is so young and at such a low level, i know a few dodger fans that are excited about him, but he is so far away he isn't really on the radar yet.
    I didn't define what would be going back to the Dodgers in the trade "by design". The first step, imo, determines if interest exists.. The players FROM the Dodgers should have some appeal. I especially like Cory Seagar and Capuano as potential players for the Mariners, but, for different reasons..

The question that wasn't answered: what would the Mariners give up for a group of players that includes Andre Ethier, Chris Capuano and one of Onelki Garcia/Cory Seagar?..

**As far as the clarification for satisfying the CBA on new signees.. we've agreed on another thread to assume that is the case for any suggested trade proposal where a recent signee is involved.. It eliminates the requirement for the poster to exclaim that it would be done as a PTBNL, especially since everyone already knows this and the information being provided about the signing date is a given...
    While i don't need to restate the CBA, i just don't see them trading either of those guys, not that Cap, Harang, Lilly are off limits, but i don't know why they would want to trade Garcia or Seager, depending on what was being sent to LA i wouldn't be against throwing in Joc Pederson or something, mostly because he is blocked, but still Seager is so young and there really is no telling what they have with him.

vCash
    Though I would want to know what the mariners could offer to get the dodgers to give up Garcia or seager

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Though I would want to know what the mariners could offer to get the dodgers to give up Garcia or seager
    Milton Bradley.

Playstation 3 handle: Ryde4Life

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    Try it this way.. Via a Comp: Onelki Garcia is a lot like Victor Sanchez in many ways.. Big, athletic, hard throwing FOR SP candidates.. Everything they do works off their plus fastballs. Both are under contract with several minor league options in hand. Both are moving up their respective farm systems heirarchy in pursuit of a ML gig. What is a guy like Victor Sanchez worth?.. That would pretty much answer what Onelki Garcia is worth..

Corey Seager is the brother of Kyle Seager.. some say the more talented.. the brother with the higher ceiling.. the more athletic.. etc.. What is Kyle worth?..

btw. you may be right about Cap Harang and Lilly..with the "rooki-ness" & health issues the Dodgers have, they may be mroe inclined to hold onto their veteran starting pitching depth until the have a better understanding of what they can expect from Billingsley and Ryu...
    Last edited by GeronimoSon; 01-15-2013 at 06:58 PM.

vCash
    Yeah, but you gotta be careful comparing brothers, especially at such a young age. Projections are often wrong, and you really have no idea how each will respond (mentally) to playing in the bigs. It gives Kyle a slight advantage in simply knowing what his MLB baseline likely is, both at the plate and with his glove. The more pertinent question, would you trade Kyle for Corey straight up? Which side might need spec-filler to even it out? How much filler?

"Better to remain silent and thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln

vCash
    I like Ethier and hope we explore a deal with Smoak in it to get him. That would be perfect. Ethier is better than anyone we have even with his not being able to hit lefties. Then you explore getting Morse. Morse can play 1B when Morales DH's, and can play LF when Montero DH's and Morales plays 1B. Ethier is your everyday RF, sign Bourn to play CF or play Saunders there everyday. Bay and Ibanez can ride the pine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    I like Ethier and hope we explore a deal with Smoak in it to get him. That would be perfect. Ethier is better than anyone we have even with his not being able to hit lefties. Then you explore getting Morse. Morse can play 1B when Morales DH's, and can play LF when Montero DH's and Morales plays 1B. Ethier is your everyday RF, sign Bourn to play CF or play Saunders there everyday. Bay and Ibanez can ride the pine.
    Im down with most, except for the bolded. I do not want to give up the pick for Bourn whatsoever. I think Saunders and that pick > Bourn personally.

I would also rather get a righty, but we cant get picky. If we can get Ethier and still be able to go get a bigger bat next year, then fine. Or even just Martin Prado for LF. I really want us to go hard after him in FA next year. We could use a RH 1/2 hitter to pair with Ackley up there. He doesnt have great speed, but he gets on base, and can hit 15 HR. Ideal 2 hitter IMO.

Also, the only way I want to trade Smoak for Ethier is if we feel confident about Morales re-signing after this year, and the Dodgers pay at least $25M.

vCash
    Would you guys do a trade for Headley if it took Seager, Franklin and Maurer? Do you think that's enough to get Headley?

If we brought Headley in then we don't need Seager, and Franklin and Maurer both come from areas of excessive depth, and tbh I don't know if I plan on either being a future Mariner starter with the other depth options...

vCash
    Probably, but I dont see him repeating last year. Plus he would only be here for 2 years.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast