Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: who is currently the over all better player.

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • CALDERON

15 28.85%
  • LOWRY

33 63.46%
  • after weighing pro's and con's I find them to be equal.

4 7.69%
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Calderon is the better point guard.

Lowry is the better player.

Can't we all just get along?
    Pretty much this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    You know that Casey is choosing Jose over Lowry most of the time right?
    I think he's just riding the hot hand. We're something like 9-4 since Jose took the starting reins, right?

Once our next 4 game slide comes about (I'm assuming of course), you can bet that Lowry will be re-inserted into the starting line-up. Personally, I'm glad Casey has continued to go with what is CURRENTLY working.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    There are a lot of reasons a player may or may not get a chance and a lot of it has little to do with talent. Time to get the memo, if you want a good team the pg is one of the last things to worry about. If Bayless was starting on this team they really wouldn't be any worse then they are with either Lowry or Calderon.
    don't forget that Memphis try to upgrade their backup pg... they are not happy with bayless performance. your ifs are just ifs and cannot be used as stats.

lowry was spectacular in the first three games of the season. bayless is not even close to lowry as talent.
    Last edited by the life; 01-11-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Champs will be champs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GodsSon View Post
    I think he's just riding the hot hand. We're something like 9-4 since Jose took the starting reins, right?

Once our next 4 game slide comes about (I'm assuming of course), you can bet that Lowry will be re-inserted into the starting line-up. Personally, I'm glad Casey has continued to go with what is CURRENTLY working.
    This.

All these threads of who we keep and whos is better is just stupid. Everyone on these forums know the Lowry is the better player. Most people also know that Calderon is excelling with the team right now.

As a person who wants to win, and has that winning mentality, you ride the hot hand until it fades out (regardless if your best player is playing or not).

On a side note, will threads like Ed or Andrea come up in the future? I mean Andrea is the better player, but Ed is playing great right now and we are winning. Does that mean we start Andrea, because he is better?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    don't forget that Memphis try to upgrade their backup pg... they are not happy with bayless performance. your ifs are just ifs and cannot be used as stats.

lowry was spectacular in the first three games of the season. bayless is not even close to lowry as talent.
    The scenario I provided was an 'if', so what. If stats are what you want then there is more to back up my point then yours. In the two years with Bayless the Raps had a better record with him starting then with Calderon starting (and thats with a lesser backup pg in comparison to what Jose had). And what really makes Lowry's 'talent' so much above Bayless's? His sparkling fg%? No. His 3pt shooting? No. His passing ability? No. His durability? No. His ball handling? No. His defense? Maybe, but I have seen Bayless play just as good defensively (and arguably better positional defense). The biggest difference between them is that Lowry got an opportunity which Bayless really hasn't had yet. I also think Bayless has shown more in terms of team play and character.

Anyhow, people are getting hung up on me saying Bayless instead of the two we have but thats not the point. I don't care if its Bayless or somebody like Hinrich or some other pg.

vCash
    Both are such different players, and both are elite. The problem right now is that when Lowry is playing his natural "Attack" game, he doesn't fit well with the supporting cast on this team. Jose, while not athletic or flashy, plays more of a patient let the offense flow game, which fits better with the supporting cast - both on the offensive and defensive end. I find Lowry's style and pace creates panic to the supporting cast because he is so erradic. Jose's style creates calm because he includes everyone, isn't forcing the game and he has confidence in everyone in the floor.

I think they are equal in the end, but Jose is a better match for the supporting cast on the team TODAY. Lowry is the better overall talent, but Jose is the superior PG right now for this team. I'm not sure how he would fair on another team who's supporting cast is able to play around the eratic style of a Lowry type pg.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ink View Post
    I just haven't seen much that justifies the pick we gave up. Very ordinary play IMO.
    We've had a small sample size and don't even know what the pick may have netted us at this point. I don't think it's really too fair to assume he's not worth it yet.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    I'm on board with what Ink, Bramaca, Smith have been saying. We need to stop looking so hard for a point guard when that's never been our issue. Frankly we just need to pick one and continue to build a team around them instead of ignoring other problem areas. We seem to be trying to "change our identity" year in and year out starting with the only position on the team that's actually established.

I've been a Bargnani apologist for some time now, but I think that him being on the Raptors has wasted a half decade of this team's development. Lowry, Ford, Calderon, Jack, Bayless..... if any of these guys had a traditional team around them they'd have the tools to succeed (see Golden State...). The whole idea of the Raps trying to be different is the issue, not the PG.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    I'm on board with what Ink, Bramaca, Smith have been saying. We need to stop looking so hard for a point guard when that's never been our issue. Frankly we just need to pick one and continue to build a team around them instead of ignoring other problem areas. We seem to be trying to "change our identity" year in and year out starting with the only position on the team that's actually established.

I've been a Bargnani apologist for some time now, but I think that him being on the Raptors has wasted a half decade of this team's development. Lowry, Ford, Calderon, Jack, Bayless..... if any of these guys had a traditional team around them they'd have the tools to succeed (see Golden State...). The whole idea of the Raps trying to be different is the issue, not the PG.
    WOW. 100% agree
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    Mercedes is a make of a vehicle. a mustang is a model of a vehicle. Mustang is made by ford. But we're not comparing apples or oranges here were comparing pg to pg.

I think Lowry is better because he plays both ends of the floor can score in various ways and is a decent facilitator where as Calderon is simply a great facilitator. Calderon can also score but he is almost unselfish to a fault passing up on great looks when he is open. I like Calderon for his mentality as well but in terms of overall skill I'd take Lowry.
    tell me.
    Who would you preffer.
    Rodman or Lamar Odom

One does a pair of things great, the other makes things all around and all of them except two better than the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    Calderon is the better point guard.

Lowry is the better player.

Can't we all just get along?
    This...

But when Calderon's job is in jeporady we always must make drama of the situation... LOL.

Just ask T.J Ford and J.J

Quote Originally Posted by knicksfan42 View Post
    ...For me a large part of it is that they were rivals. LeBron vs Wade was a great rivalry and for them to team up just doesn't sit right with me. It would've been cool if LeBron had gone to the Bulls.....
    and Bosh to the Heat to join Wade. That would've been awesome... I would've respected LeBron way more if he went there.
    Why have great rivals when you can join them and have none.... Lebron James where losing the spirit of competition happens!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    tell me.
    Who would you preffer.
    Rodman or Lamar Odom

One does a pair of things great, the other makes things all around and all of them except two better than the other.
    i don't know where you are going with this. absolutely 100% Rodman. the problem is i can't tell which one of the two PG's you are calling Rodman.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 01-11-2013 at 12:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hellcrooner View Post
    tell me.
    Who would you preffer.
    Rodman or Lamar Odom

That's a terrible comparison. Rodman is a hall of famer and has helped several teams win championships with his strong defence and rebounding. Two things Calderon has never been too good at at all. If anything Lowry is a much better rebounder and defender so I guess he is rodman in the scenario ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    The scenario I provided was an 'if', so what. If stats are what you want then there is more to back up my point then yours. In the two years with Bayless the Raps had a better record with him starting then with Calderon starting (and thats with a lesser backup pg in comparison to what Jose had). And what really makes Lowry's 'talent' so much above Bayless's? His sparkling fg%? No. His 3pt shooting? No. His passing ability? No. His durability? No. His ball handling? No. His defense? Maybe, but I have seen Bayless play just as good defensively (and arguably better positional defense). The biggest difference between them is that Lowry got an opportunity which Bayless really hasn't had yet. I also think Bayless has shown more in terms of team play and character.

Anyhow, people are getting hung up on me saying Bayless instead of the two we have but thats not the point. I don't care if its Bayless or somebody like Hinrich or some other pg.
    I used bayless as an example too. But really there are a lot of options for much cheaper then Lowry we could have attained to be calderon's back up.

And I agree Bayless def would have sufficed. Kid averaged 20-8 in the last 8 games or so as a raptor..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smith&wesson View Post
    I used bayless as an example too. But really there are a lot of options for much cheaper then Lowry we could have attained to be calderon's back up.

And I agree Bayless def would have sufficed. Kid averaged 20-8 in the last 8 games or so as a raptor..
    I would prefer Calderon not being the starter.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast