Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityofDreams View Post
    Most of that money is tied up in players nearing the end or past their prime. They could win with 189 if they were in a better position prospect and roster wise.

He also feels that 189 isn't a one yr thing. Does anyone honestly believe they will spend like normal if things don't go right.
    You just said it best. 189 million is more than enough to field a championship caliber team but not when most of that money is already invested into deteriorating players. And for Hal to say that he is pleased we signed some of the top free agents available this offseason, cut me a break.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post
    You just said it best. 189 million is more than enough to field a championship caliber team but not when most of that money is already invested into deteriorating players. And for Hal to say that he is pleased we signed some of the top free agents available this offseason, cut me a break.
    The Giants have won 2 of the last 3 WS with a payroll of 96M in 2010 and 131M in 2012 and Zito's dead weight is about 20M of that in each year, which means they could have won with 76M and 111M payrolls.

If we can't win because we "only" have 189M to spend, something is wrong.

vCash
    Slickified!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    The Giants also developed guys like Posey, Lincecum, Cain, Bumgardner, Panda, Wilson, etc
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Yes, I understand you are a rabid fan, which is great. As you get older, you tend to look at things from a business perspective as well.

As a business owner, I do this a lot.....maybe too much.

But it's reality that the only thing that matters I'm business is making money. Nothing else.

That's Hals number one goal. If he can do that while winning and making fans happy......great.
    Leo believe me I understand the financial constraints and Hal trying to clean up the detrudis of decades of financial carelessness.

What concerns me is that the market economics seem to be turning against us in terms of affordability (something you yourself were bemoaning a week ago), access, and strangling the secondary market.

Hal has to maintain a balance of credible competitiveness, and not just the show of signing Kevin Youkilis, in order to successfully maintain the premium market structure that he has established especially concerning ticket prices.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    The Giants have won 2 of the last 3 WS with a payroll of 96M in 2010 and 131M in 2012 and Zito's dead weight is about 20M of that in each year, which means they could have won with 76M and 111M payrolls.

If we can't win because we "only" have 189M to spend, something is wrong.
    The Yankees dont have 189 million to spend in 2014. Because of the money tied up to a few players, there is about 90 million left to fill about 18 spots on the roster. And that is assuming Cano leaves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Leo believe me I understand the financial constraints and Hal trying to clean up the detrudis of decades of financial carelessness.

What concerns me is that the market economics seem to be turning against us in terms of affordability (something you yourself were bemoaning a week ago), access, and strangling the secondary market.

Hal has to maintain a balance of credible competitiveness, and not just the show of signing Kevin Youkilis, in order to successfully maintain the premium market structure that he has established especially concerning ticket prices.
    Ehhhh......I'm completely fine with 2014 being a toss up.

We already have a good team for 13.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    If the young guys in the system can step up in 2014, Hal looks brilliant. But I think we have to many holes and not enough depth in the farm come 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityofDreams View Post
    The Giants also developed guys like Posey, Lincecum, Cain, Bumgardner, Panda, Wilson, etc
    I don't see the point. We've developed guys too.

The Giants spent 54M of their 131M payroll on Cain, Lincecum, and Zito and two of those three guys were wasted money in 2012. The other guys who won for them cost 77M. Even with A-Rod, Tex, and CC getting 75M in 2014, we still have over 100M to play with. That should be more than enough.

vCash
    You could actually field a team right now with available free agents. Plenty of useful humans to get on the cheap.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash

The Giants spent 54M of their 131M payroll on Cain, Lincecum, and Zito and two of those three guys were wasted money in 2012. The other guys who won for them cost 77M. Even with A-Rod, Tex, and CC getting 75M in 2014, we still have over 100M to play with. That should be more than enough.
    It really should be. Teams would kill to have a payroll like ours.

vCash

Though I have to argue that Lincecum was a driving force in building that franchise to this point these past few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Though I have to argue that Lincecum was a driving force in building that franchise to this point these past few years.
    Sure he was but they won in spite of him - not because of him - in 2012.

vCash
    Sure he was but they won in spite of him - not because of him - in 2012.
    True enough. Though I would argue that those dynasty franchises won in spite of the slumping of some key offensive elements not because of them. This is why I bring up the teamwork arguement.

By the way...........2 Live Crew.

C'mon man.

Really?

vCash

I'll give you Cano and Drob but that's about it when comparing it to the Giant group of players.

It's really not enough when you factor in bonuses, arbitration raises, and the real number being between 170-177.

Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Ehhhh......I'm completely fine with 2014 being a toss up.

We already have a good team for 13.
    Actually 14 will probably be more than a toss. We're talking about a team with roughly 80 something dollars tied up in a few players. The toss uo yr might be this season. I only say that because of age, injury, and the loss in the offense but of course things can go right and it would be a toss up.
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast