Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    When did Cashman insist that Diaz was an in demand talent? I missed that.
    THAT was in reference to Hal not Cashman.

And let's just say that I was possibly stacking the deck in my favor, so to speak, when referencing that Hal said he didn't understand why the base was upset when in fact they had signed four of the most in demand talents available on the market.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Good history but George was not gone for 5 years. He was reinstated in 1993....When he returned the first move he made was to sign Wade Boggs.
    That is technically correct. But he left things alone until 1996 (I believe he found religion something weird) in 1996 the boss was back!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    A few points. On the system two years ago it was top 10 in the league. You can't always predict how your youngsters are going to come through. Sadly ours ended up all getting injured.

I think you have to take Hal with a grain of salt. He is responding irrationally to irrational fans. Look Hal can't say publicly look our people believed Greinke couldn't handle NY, and that Hamilton would be in rehab by June 1st, thus we weren't going to commit almost 300 million those players.

The truth is I think Youkliss and Ichiro are going to have good years. Ichiro has a Yankee Stadium swing. I believe Ichiro is going to hit .315 18HR 75RBI 90 Runs with 35SB. Yes that's not a typo Ichiro is going to puy up similar Johnney Damon numbers but with far better defense. Youkliss has been hurt the past few years. But this guy is a hard nose player. His injury history and age doesn't warrant a long term deal. I can see this guy having a swan song season. One of the thing I have noted is that Ex Redsox players tend to have bounce back years in NY.

If Youkliss returns to say .290/22HR/100RBI/80Runs with a .370 OBP. Anyone want to guess where he would rank among 3B in the AL?

The only guy I would have pursued was Francisco Liriano. I think the Pirates stole him. Hard throwing Lefty in NY. The guy had the stuff his control (mechanics) were a little messed up. To me a rotation of CC/Liriano/Pettite/Kuroda/Hughes would have been great if you ask me.
    Good points.

Liriano however has just been way too inconsistant career wise to justify that signing IMO. Given the Jose Contreras debacle concerning his mechanics adjustment through our staff I would be very skeptical that Liriano could be anything other than another Weaver here.

That is technically correct. But he left things alone until 1996 (I believe he found religion something weird) in 1996 the boss was back!
    Not to correct you but if i remember correctly i believe that it was George who was the architect of the Cone/Sierra moves in August '95.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 01-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.

vCash
    Then why did he say "There will be major changes!" after the Yankees lost in 1995 to the Mariners in the playoffs?

George started full control again back in 93....

3000 POST!
    Nick

vCash
    A few points. On the system two years ago it was top 10 in the league. You can't always predict how your youngsters are going to come through. Sadly ours ended up all getting injured.

I think you have to take Hal with a grain of salt. He is responding irrationally to irrational fans. Look Hal can't say publicly look our people believed Greinke couldn't handle NY, and that Hamilton would be in rehab by June 1st, thus we weren't going to commit almost 300 million those players.

The truth is I think Youkliss and Ichiro are going to have good years. Ichiro has a Yankee Stadium swing. I believe Ichiro is going to hit .315 18HR 75RBI 90 Runs with 35SB. Yes that's not a typo Ichiro is going to puy up similar Johnney Damon numbers but with far better defense. Youkliss has been hurt the past few years. But this guy is a hard nose player. His injury history and age doesn't warrant a long term deal. I can see this guy having a swan song season. One of the thing I have noted is that Ex Redsox players tend to have bounce back years in NY.

If Youkliss returns to say .290/22HR/100RBI/80Runs with a .370 OBP. Anyone want to guess where he would rank among 3B in the AL?

The only guy I would have pursued was Francisco Liriano. I think the Pirates stole him. Hard throwing Lefty in NY. The guy had the stuff his control (mechanics) were a little messed up. To me a rotation of CC/Liriano/Pettite/Kuroda/Hughes would have been great if you ask me.
    Ichiro has hit 18 HRs over the last 3 seasons combined....

vCash
    I predict 15 hr for Itchy.

8 of which are accidental YS pop ups.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    I predict 15 hr for Itchy.

8 of which are accidental YS pop ups.
    Also, his batting average will fall to .226 as he's trying to pull the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Also, his batting average will fall to .226 as he's trying to pull the ball.
    Welcome to group.

(Says Mark Texiera)
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Welcome to group.

(Says Mark Texiera)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Then why did he say "There will be major changes!" after the Yankees lost in 1995 to the Mariners in the playoffs?
    3000 POST!
    George started full control again back in 93...

Yes that's the year he came back (I considered it 96' but it was technically the 1995 off season). In 93,94 and 95 season George didn't do all that much. Someone mentioned David Cone trade, that was not a big dollar trade (Cone was a FA after 95). Also the guys they gave up weren't as highly regarded, the best of the bunch pitched to about a 5 ERA in 100 innings, when he was traded he just got promoted to AA. George probably gave the green light but it was a no brainer trade. In fact given how little was given up I would not be surprised if George was on the side-line when it happened. Throughout George's career he had a love fest for 80's Mets players and Jarred Wright.

Let me say I picked on George alot...But he made some good moves too. I think the suspension actually did him good as the post 1995 George was far more reasonable. For example (for one thing he had the same manager throughout). True at the end Torre was wearing on him...to be honest he was on me (I thought he single handed blew the Joba getting eaten alive by the nats game), I also thought Torre outrage over a performance based contract when the Yankees when the Yankees entered a playoff stretch where they went something like 4-13 (starting with blowing a 3-0 game lead versus Boston). Torre then wrote a book blasting former players (violating his own rule of what happens in the clubhouse stays there). So while I blast Steinbrenner, I also praise him.

With George it was good and bad. I think the son has done a good job. It a different team, different environment, and I think the moves have been for the most part the right ones (and I sit with hindsight).

vCash
    I think the plan is a good one, but as a Steinbrenner, he is expected to be a dynamic owner automatically.

We have to grasp as fans there will never be another George. I am disappointed that there isn't a little more smoke as to what were trying to do. I feel we would have more leverage in the trade/FA market without Hank constantly saying things that paint him as a penny pincher. Even with all the one year re-signings, opposing teams would still expect us to make another big splash, buying us time.

Our roster isn't bad, but the competition is fierce this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by vash9 View Post
    The Almighty God of all Knicks fans.

vCash
    By the way, anyone else think that the Yankees new stadium is influencing this thinking? The numbers as Hal said are huge.
    Quote Originally Posted by vash9 View Post
    The Almighty God of all Knicks fans.

vCash
    George started full control again back in 93...

Yes that's the year he came back (I considered it 96' but it was technically the 1995 off season). In 93,94 and 95 season George didn't do all that much. Someone mentioned David Cone trade, that was not a big dollar trade (Cone was a FA after 95). Also the guys they gave up weren't as highly regarded, the best of the bunch pitched to about a 5 ERA in 100 innings, when he was traded he just got promoted to AA. George probably gave the green light but it was a no brainer trade. In fact given how little was given up I would not be surprised if George was on the side-line when it happened. Throughout George's career he had a love fest for 80's Mets players and Jarred Wright.

Let me say I picked on George alot...But he made some good moves too. I think the suspension actually did him good as the post 1995 George was far more reasonable. For example (for one thing he had the same manager throughout). True at the end Torre was wearing on him...to be honest he was on me (I thought he single handed blew the Joba getting eaten alive by the nats game), I also thought Torre outrage over a performance based contract when the Yankees when the Yankees entered a playoff stretch where they went something like 4-13 (starting with blowing a 3-0 game lead versus Boston). Torre then wrote a book blasting former players (violating his own rule of what happens in the clubhouse stays there). So while I blast Steinbrenner, I also praise him.

With George it was good and bad. I think the son has done a good job. It a different team, different environment, and I think the moves have been for the most part the right ones (and I sit with hindsight).
    Cone was huge as a piece of the talent puzzle though I agree monetarily with your assertation.

That signing, coupled w Sierra, really put the pedal down towards combining the ascension of the farm system core and the necessary counterparts at the big league level to break the momentum of the Stump Merrill years. IMO Fielder became the final piece of that puzzle that began the dynasty run.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Cone was huge as a piece of the talent puzzle though I agree monetarily with your assertation.

That signing, coupled w Sierra, really put the pedal down towards combining the ascension of the farm system core and the necessary counterparts at the big league level to break the momentum of the Stump Merrill years. IMO Fielder became the final piece of that puzzle that began the dynasty run.
    The Cecil trade was a big one. Yet in 97' we did not break the bank for him as he had only one year left on his deal and the Sierra offset knocked out 90 percent. Depending on who you believed, Fielder claimed George promised him a three year extension...for 21 million...thankfully it never happend as fielder had at best one year left. Fielder in 97 was a pain in the rear end. Trading Sierra was getting rid of another player who didn't fit in the clubhouse.

In 97 the Yankees, George in particular would once again bring about his old feelings about Bernie Williams, who he wanted to trade when he was suspended, the story goes that Stick Michael would lie to George that no one was interested. Well Bernie was entering his last Arbitration year, Bernie wanted a 6 year deal and would have cost about 48 million. Yankees offered about 6/36. George insisted that Bernie was not star caliber, and wouldn't be paid. In the end Bernie would get over 8 million in arbitration then get an 84 million dollar 7 year contract. Basically instead of paying 48 million for 6 years Yankees paid 92 million for 8, where the last two years were not all that productive.

And let me say the Yankees are darn lucky...In 98 Torre and George wanted Albert Belle and had a 60 million dollar deal that was turned down. Bernie who hired Boras had an 82 million dollar deal ready to go, at the last minute Bernie called George and said he really wanted to be in NY, Bernie was signed. Fact remains George is darn lucky Belle didn't accept their offer! This would be the first Bullet Torre and George would dodge. In 2003 another bullet would be a direct hit and this one was more Torre: but we would trade a promising Lefty Ted Lilly for Jeff Wae et who would lose the 2003 World Series for us, then we would trade him to La for Kevin Brown who would lose the 2004 ALCS.
    Last edited by Bobshirleyrules; 01-20-2013 at 02:42 AM.

vCash
    Oh and that team who offered 82 million...The Boston Red Sox! Belle's career would fall off a cliff because of a degenerate hip injury would make 2000 his last year in the sport...and Bernie would have 5 productive years including finishing in the top 12 in MVP voting three of those years. Had the Yankees moved on Bernie after the 97 season they would have saved a bundle on payroll, moreover, 1999 ALCS probably would have gone to Boston without Bernie!
    Last edited by Bobshirleyrules; 01-20-2013 at 02:39 AM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast