Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Q&A: Hal Steinbrenner Talks Free Agents, Payroll, Empty Seats

Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner doesn’t often talk to the media, but he stopped to take questions for several minutes on his way out of the Major League Baseball owners’ meetings Thursday in Paradise Valley, Ariz. Here’s what he had to say:

Question: On the state of the Yankees’ off-season

Steinbrenner: “We’ve signed three or four of the biggest free agents on the market. We’re pretty happy with that. It’s great to have Andy (Pettite) back and (Hiroki) Kuroda and Ichiro (Suzuki). (Kevin) Youkilis I’m excited about. I’ve always liked him as a player. We’ve got some work to do, still. We need another bat. We’re not done yet.”

Question: Is your plan to get your payroll under the $189 million luxury tax threshold by 2014 while maintaining a championship-caliber team looking more challenging than it did a year ago?

Steinbrenner: “It was looking challenging a year ago. But again, as I’ve said all along, the young players that have stepped up are going to have to continue to do so, and some of the ones that haven’t yet are going to have to. That’s always been part of the equation. But the commitment to field a championship team is paramount, and that won’t change. Our fans expect that.”

Question: Are you concerned about some of the things you saw in the playoffs last year – fan anger, empty seats, etc.?

Steinbrenner: “I’m surprised to hear that there’s anger if you see what we’ve done this off-season. Like I said, we’ve signed three or four of the top free agents on the market, because we’re going to continue to field a championship-caliber team. I’m a little surprised to hear that. The empty seats in the playoffs were due to a variety of reasons, quite frankly. The schedule, Stubhub, things like that. A lot of tickets being available shortly before the game. We didn’t know we were going to be in it. Obviously we went to Game 5 in the first series, you got the next game the day after, so it was challenging. … I’m a little surprised to hear about the anger. But look, all I can continue to tell everyone is our commitment to the fans is never going to change. We will always field a championship-caliber team. Is our goal 189 next year? Yes. But only if I’m convinced that the team I see we put together is a championship-caliber team.”

Question: Are you absolutely committed to getting the payroll under $189 million by next year, or could that change based on how the team performs in 2013?

Steinbrenner: “I’ve been resolute that that is our goal. And that is our goal. But I’ve also said, including at spring training a year ago, that in order to achieve that goal, these young players have to step up and get the job done. How many World Series winning teams the last 10 years had a payroll over 189? One. You don’t have to have a $200 million payroll to do that. And I’m a big believer in that. But you’ve got to have a good mix of veterans and young talent. … If the young players, the [David] Phelps of the world, who did step up continue to do that and some of the other guys like [Manny] Banuelos, [Michael] Pineda we’ve yet to see. If they get the job done, the math works.”

Question: Will $189 million be less of a goal in future years once you get under in 2014, since the luxury tax rate goes down once you’re no longer a repeat offender?

Steinbrenner: “I don’t see it being less of a goal. I believe that you don’t have to have a $220 million payroll to win a world championship, and you shouldn’t have to.”

Question: Is cutting payroll something you need to do to remain profitable or is this strictly about eliminating wasteful spending?

Steinbrenner: “It’s about, to me, being fiscally responsible. I know everybody looks at our attendance and our revenues and all that. But you also have to look at our expenses — $100 million a year in revenue sharing; we pay for every dollar of the debt service on the bonds that build the stadium, which doesn’t cost the taxpayers anything. We pay it every year. We have significant expenses along with those significant revenues, believe me.”

Question: Any chance you work out a contract extension with manager Joe Girardi, whose deal is up after this season?

Steinbrenner: “I’m not a big believer in extensions. There’s exceptions to every rule, but I’m just not a big believer in extensions. I’m worried about this year. He’s not the only guy who’s coming up, obviously. I’m focusing on 2013, as I should.”

Question: Are you pleased with Girardi’s performance?

Steinbrenner: “Last year, obviously nobody is happy with the end results, but we still had a hell of a record and a hell of a season, in my opinion, and I’m proud of that. I’m not proud about where we ended up, believe me.”

Question: Do you foresee reaching an extension with Robinson Cano before he hits free agency next winter?

Steinbrenner: “Again, I’m not a big believer in extensions, but there are exceptions to every rule. We’ll see what happens. There’s been no real significant dialogue as of yet.”

http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2013...l-empty-seats/
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    double post
    Friend: I think the NBA payed off the Heat in the first yr because of the politics. They threw game four and they payed Lebron because they were angry with what he did. So he had pay one way or another.

F:There is no one in the draft coming out and trading players isn't going to happen. The Lakers are in trouble.

F: Vogel doesn't run that team. Shaw does. If he leaves they are going to suck and Vogel will get fired.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Basically if the team is not championship caliber at $189 then Hal will increase the limit to get to that competitive level that he says he wants...We shall see...
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Basically if the team is not championship caliber at $189 then Hal will increase the limit to get to that competitive level that he says he wants...We shall see...
    We shall see is right. I think it's just talk

-Heat fan

vCash
    He sounds clueless when he talks of signing tree or four of the supposedly most in-demand free agents on the market.

Is he actually trying to convince himself that Youkilis still carries that type of value?

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Question: Will $189 million be less of a goal in future years once you get under in 2014, since the luxury tax rate goes down once you’re no longer a repeat offender?

Steinbrenner: “I don’t see it being less of a goal. I believe that you don’t have to have a $220 million payroll to win a world championship, and you shouldn’t have to.”

----------------------

For the ppl that think it's a one yr thing

-Heat fan

vCash
    Its kind of amazing to me how the whole organization is averse to extensions for any of their players. I mean maybe it comes from the top down and thats why Cashman doesn't do it but still. If you want to become like all the other teams in baseball spending wise you can't act like the Yankees of old and let all your players hit free agency and spend whatever you need to on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Its kind of amazing to me how the whole organization is averse to extensions for any of their players. I mean maybe it comes from the top down and thats why Cashman doesn't do it but still. If you want to become like all the other teams in baseball spending wise you can't act like the Yankees of old and let all your players hit free agency and spend whatever you need to on them.
    There is some logic to that.

vCash
    Also find it kind of funny that Hal is "surprised to hear theres anger after what they've done this offseason".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Also find it kind of funny that Hal is "surprised to hear theres anger after what they've done this offseason".
    Yeah, that Youkilis signing was designed to counteract the effects of banning stub hub from engaging in free market pricing I guess.

vCash
    Sounds to me like Girardi could find himself needing a job after this year depending on how we do.

Personally, I believe that he wants to win badly. He wants to live up to his fathers legacy, I would too. The only thing that bugs me about this is that he's seemingly blind about our offseason. Yes, it's great to have Pettitte, Kuroda and Ichiro back. But there were no additions aside from Youkilis that will seriously bolster this team. In fact, we lost power.

He can't feel happy about going into a season with a potentially worse ball club. Hopefully these young guys he speaks of do step up, we will definitely need it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    Sounds to me like Girardi could find himself needing a job after this year depending on how we do.

Personally, I believe that he wants to win badly. He wants to live up to his fathers legacy, I would too. The only thing that bugs me about this is that he's seemingly blind about our offseason. Yes, it's great to have Pettitte, Kuroda and Ichiro back. But there were no additions aside from Youkilis that will seriously bolster this team. In fact, we lost power.

He can't feel happy about going into a season with a potentially worse ball club. Hopefully these young guys he speaks of do step up, we will definitely need it.
    Yes, yes and yes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityofDreams View Post
    We shall see is right. I think it's just talk
    No, I believe him, he just wants younger cheaper players to be on the 25 man roster as he said you do not need a payroll of $220 million to win...and he is right!

the team has 1 Title in 10 years and were the top spenders each year and even Hal is embarrassed by it...
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    No, I believe him, he just wants younger cheaper players to be on the 25 man roster as he said you do not need a payroll of $220 million to win...and he is right!

the team has 1 Title in 10 years and were the top spenders each year and even Hal is embarrassed by it...
    You kinda do need that kind of money when the kids on the farm aren't ready and some of the guys on the team are past their prime. Their high payroll is a big reason why they have been a top team for this long.

-Heat fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCityofDreams View Post
    You kinda do need that kind of money when the kids on the farm aren't ready and some of the guys on the team are past their prime. Their high payroll is a big reason why they have been a top team for this long.
    Hal wants Championships......
    Nick

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast