Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 30 of 30
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,715
    vCash
    1500
    Agree 100%. He at least deserves a fair chance. The Yanks might be pleasantly surprised.
    'Real' Yankee fans tell the truth about the team whether it is nice or not.

    "Well, that kind of puts a damper on even a Yankee win."
    -- Yankees announcer Phil Rizzuto after reading a bulletin that Pope Paul VI had died

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    I've been saying this for a while too. This isn't Jorge Vazquez we're talking about here. He doesn't strike out, he walks a decent amount, and he can play multiple positions. I think he and Adonis Garcia are both guys who should get a chance to show what they can do in the majors. I'm sure they'll both be invited to major league camp for spring training. I say make it a tryout with those two whoever else is around.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Barren, Desolate Wastes of Angband
    Posts
    3,516
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Just bring up one of the stud kids.......just one.

    What's the big fkn deal.?
    Bring up Montero!


    And so, a new era begins.....

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,581
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Bring up Montero!
    I know u hate that trade, my man.......but ummmm.....he stinks.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


    Bummer. The Core Be No More.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Aspen
    Posts
    1,782
    vCash
    1500
    In think this is Cashman's biggest weakness. It's not that he is terrible at developing guys. It's that he doesn't know how to pick his spots on when to actually bring them to the big league level.

    It doesn't have much to do with Ronnie Mselier but i was thinking about this the other day. I cannot bash the Granderson trade because i was in full support of it when it went down. I'm not bringing this up because of the kind of year Jackson had or because of the miserable performance Granderson put on the last part of the season. But the fact is 2010 was the perfect time to bring up an Austin Jackson. They just came off a championship and their lineup was still stacked. that's what you want to bring a young guy into. putting a young player in a position to succeed is pretty much the biggest factor in whether or not he translates into the player you want him to be. That's why i always say if they want to really develop a young pitcher, it helps when you have a solid anchor. That's why I am completely against the idea that they can just bite the bullet with these bad contacts and throw a bunch of kids in the deep end and see if they can swim or not.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Northport Long Island NY
    Posts
    24,810
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    In think this is Cashman's biggest weakness. It's not that he is terrible at developing guys. It's that he doesn't know how to pick his spots on when to actually bring them to the big league level.
    EXACTLY

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,581
    vCash
    1500
    Agree with Harry.

    This babying of specs is ridiculous.

    Let them pitch. Let them hit.

    We always seem to wait until its too late or their spot is filled.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day


    Bummer. The Core Be No More.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,655
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Agree with Harry.

    This babying of specs is ridiculous.

    Let them pitch. Let them hit.

    We always seem to wait until its too late or their spot is filled.
    Nope, I'd rather sign a geriatric who will hit .230 because he used to be an all-star. Why use a cheap prospect who can do that and be called a failure, even if he has the chance to do much more.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

    [Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    East Northport Long Island NY
    Posts
    24,810
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Nope, I'd rather sign a geriatric who will hit .230 because he used to be an all-star. Why use a cheap prospect who can do that and be called a failure, even if he has the chance to do much more.
    because it makes too much sense

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    21,309
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Agree with Harry.

    This babying of specs is ridiculous.

    Let them pitch. Let them hit.

    We always seem to wait until its too late or their spot is filled.
    not true

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Posts
    8,407
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    Bring up Montero!
    Trade Cano for him!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    In think this is Cashman's biggest weakness. It's not that he is terrible at developing guys. It's that he doesn't know how to pick his spots on when to actually bring them to the big league level.

    It doesn't have much to do with Ronnie Mselier but i was thinking about this the other day. I cannot bash the Granderson trade because i was in full support of it when it went down. I'm not bringing this up because of the kind of year Jackson had or because of the miserable performance Granderson put on the last part of the season. But the fact is 2010 was the perfect time to bring up an Austin Jackson. They just came off a championship and their lineup was still stacked. that's what you want to bring a young guy into. putting a young player in a position to succeed is pretty much the biggest factor in whether or not he translates into the player you want him to be. That's why i always say if they want to really develop a young pitcher, it helps when you have a solid anchor. That's why I am completely against the idea that they can just bite the bullet with these bad contacts and throw a bunch of kids in the deep end and see if they can swim or not.
    Great post and excellent points. This team would be in a very different position if Austin Jackson were the CF right now. Getting under 189 for 2014 would be a lot easier. If you have a successful farm, one position player and one pitcher should be phased in every year. At most 3 total. This 2014 deadline doesn't work. You're sending a group of kids out there to sink or swim. If and when 2 to 3 of them sink, then you're in serious trouble.

    On the other hand, if you're only phasing in a couple of guys per year, if one of them fails you replace them on the trade market or someone else from within, and the team's production doesn't suffer as much.

    I am one of the bigger proponents of prospect development and giving guys a chance, but I agree that it has to be done in the proper way. Hopefully this doesn't burn the Yanks like it has so many teams before.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    2,655
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Chughes View Post
    Great post and excellent points. This team would be in a very different position if Austin Jackson were the CF right now. Getting under 189 for 2014 would be a lot easier. If you have a successful farm, one position player and one pitcher should be phased in every year. At most 3 total. This 2014 deadline doesn't work. You're sending a group of kids out there to sink or swim. If and when 2 to 3 of them sink, then you're in serious trouble.

    On the other hand, if you're only phasing in a couple of guys per year, if one of them fails you replace them on the trade market or someone else from within, and the team's production doesn't suffer as much.

    I am one of the bigger proponents of prospect development and giving guys a chance, but I agree that it has to be done in the proper way. Hopefully this doesn't burn the Yanks like it has so many teams before.
    To add to this, you need to play them when they have a chance to be inconsistent and grow. No one does what Trout did and becomes an MVP right away.

    Example, if you have 4 solid starters, let a kid fill the 5th spot and have reclamation projects as back ups, not the opposite. And if you have a solid lineup, and a one position with a hole, let a kid fill it.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

    [Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    1,982
    vCash
    1500
    I laugh at all of you. You think it is just an arbitrary decision, but there are other factors at work here.

    first, Yes when they would have wanted to bring him up, he was tearing up AA ball. Oooo, that qualifies to join the majors... NOT.
    Second, Yes, he showed that he can hit AAA, but it was late in the season, and he's NOT on the 40 man roster... Putting him on the 40 man roster starts clocks that the Yanks may not be ready to start... If you tears up at the MLB level, nobody cares (well, other than he could qualify as a super 2 type for arbitration.. big deal though), but if he falls on his face, those clocks could wreck his chances later.

    don't kid yourself into thinking that those things don't or shouldn't matter. They do and do for a reason... Now, he will probably get a MLB camp invite, and if he tears up ST, he very well could be going north with the big club. ST games are the best time to evaluate someone like this because they don't start any of those clocks that use up options and get closer to arbitration years.

    Not to mention, you don't bring up a guy who started in AA ball, unless you absolutely have no other choices (see Romine issue late in 2011 when the Yanks were out of healthy catchers.) without him having gone through a good ST with the big club.

    So, fall off your self-appointed know-it-all thrones and wake up and realize that bringing a guy up for a "chance" does have some other issues. This is not your computer game, these are real people, with a real CBA to deal with, where you can't find game "holes" to abuse and make players play just the way you want.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    123
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    I laugh at all of you. You think it is just an arbitrary decision, but there are other factors at work here.

    first, Yes when they would have wanted to bring him up, he was tearing up AA ball. Oooo, that qualifies to join the majors... NOT.
    Second, Yes, he showed that he can hit AAA, but it was late in the season, and he's NOT on the 40 man roster... Putting him on the 40 man roster starts clocks that the Yanks may not be ready to start... If you tears up at the MLB level, nobody cares (well, other than he could qualify as a super 2 type for arbitration.. big deal though), but if he falls on his face, those clocks could wreck his chances later.

    don't kid yourself into thinking that those things don't or shouldn't matter. They do and do for a reason... Now, he will probably get a MLB camp invite, and if he tears up ST, he very well could be going north with the big club. ST games are the best time to evaluate someone like this because they don't start any of those clocks that use up options and get closer to arbitration years.

    Not to mention, you don't bring up a guy who started in AA ball, unless you absolutely have no other choices (see Romine issue late in 2011 when the Yanks were out of healthy catchers.) without him having gone through a good ST with the big club.

    So, fall off your self-appointed know-it-all thrones and wake up and realize that bringing a guy up for a "chance" does have some other issues. This is not your computer game, these are real people, with a real CBA to deal with, where you can't find game "holes" to abuse and make players play just the way you want.
    Thank you Mr. Steinbrenner

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •