Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    the biggest rivalry in football was al davis vs sanity before he died
    Not so. That biggest rivalry remains between simple human decency and ill-respect for a dead man. It lingers still.
    "The United States military doesn't DO pin pricks." ~ President Barack Obama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RaiderLakersA's View Post
    Not so. That biggest rivalry remains between simple human decency and ill-respect for a dead man. It lingers still.
    well i amd ethat joke when he was alive, so technically thats not the guess
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I think it's going to happen soon...

The problem is about who he has around him and whether or not these people have it in them to tell him no. It's the same thing when Michael Jordan ran the Bobcats until he stepped aside and decided to be an owner only.

Jerry Jones will be the first guy to tell you that he's made all the decisions but it's the people around him who give him his choices to make. Good talent evaluators around Jones giving him can't miss type talent...

Soon, age is a factor and Al Davis always wanted to do things his way and choose the players he wanted. But the league changed since back in the day and he got in trouble with picking players. Now, maybe Jones isn't close to that point yet, but sooner or later, he's going to be in that situation where the league changes in a way he can't adjust to. That's when he has to realize this and move aside to be just the owner...

vCash
    Does Jerry wear outfits that were last in style in 1972 and live by the motto "everybody's out to get us"?

Then no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Power View Post
    In stubborness, maybe. But Jerry is 1000x the businessman Al was. Just look at their stadiums.

I see Jerry being more like the Stienbrenner of football. Both bought iconic franchises, retuned them to glory in a real short period, and got full of themselves thinking they were the sole reason for the success.

Will Jerry wake up like George did and let football people run the show? We'll see.
    Totaly see the Steinbrenner comparisons. Where's you come up with that?

the biggest rivalry in football was al davis vs sanity before he died
    Classic. I'm gonna borrow that one.

vCash
    Jerry seems to go the opposite way with bad coaches. Instead of hiring a guy and only giving them a year or two, he sticks with his guy too long because he doesn't want to admit he made a mistake.

But other than that, I see a lot of Al Davis in him.

vCash
    He's terrible, and needs to hire a GM, however his EGO is too big for that, so he will continue to make boneheaded moves without any results

Being banned is like going to a correctional facility, it doesn't correct anything, in fact, it makes you worse

vCash
    lighten up man, its a joke
    it was a good joke at that...and im a raiders fan

vCash
    The "NFL Pioneer Al Davis"? No, not all all.

The "Bat **** crazy Al Davis"? Most definitely.

vCash
    They share some similar traits while there are huge differences IMO

Helping the NFL Grow

- Al Davis helped the NFL brand by creating a tough villian type team with a mystique which heightened awareness thoughout the NFL. They led the league in penalties, toughness and, for a long while, were the winningest team on Monday Night Football.

`Jerry Jones has help vault the NFL revenues to where they are today. A big picture kind of guy. Jones has helped build the NFL brand into a powerhouse while his team's brand in a fractured American's team (more like a recession American's team)

Football mind

- Al Davis was brilliant for a long while. Unlike Jones, it wasn't about him. It was about the Raiders and the Committment to Excellence. Davis loved his players. Fast receivers, solid drafting and giving guys a second chance. A lot of castoffs became Raiders which provided the perfect blend of youth, veterans and toughness.

- Jerry Jones was responsbile for the greatest heist in football history with the trade of Hershall Walker to the Vikings. Unlike Davis, it's about him first and Cowboys second. There is no sense of love between Owner and Player. It's about Jones, who, besides the Heist is a football moron. If not for the heist, the Cowboys may have only one playoff win since the early 1980's.

The back Nine

- Al Davis obviously had some mental struggles later in life. The brand became hollow and bizarre contract offerings, draft picks and a coaching carousel ended his legacy on a low note.

- Jerry Jones is Jerry Jones. Stay tuned but one thing is for sure, he will continue helping the NFL grow but he will never be respected, loved or reach legendary status like the true Raider, Al Davis.

"We have been watching and waiting, but I wouldn't say we intend to continue to do that. I think you watch and wait to try and assess a situation and act accordingly. It might involve more waiting. It might involve moving in one direction or another. We've done plenty of watching and waiting. If we can move in a particular direction, we might do that."

Sandy Alderson: 2011.

vCash
    Become? I think he already has become the next Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY3487 View Post
    He's getting close. His personnel moves make absolutely no sense. Last year he signs Carr to a $50 mil dollar contract, and trades a 2nd round pick to move up to take Claiborne, and now he wants to hire Monte Kiffin to play Tampa 2 .

The one thing I wish he would resemble Al more in is firing head coaches.
    He might have over-payed for Carr, but I was thinking the Carr and Claiborne pickups were one of his better moves. I think the Claiborne pick will definitely prove to be worth that 2nd rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by MHoover101709 View Post
    Become? I think he already has become the next Davis.
    I completely disagree. While JJ needs to step down as GM and get someone more capable, he's nowhere near as bad as Al Davis' final 10 or so years. JJ still has the Cowboys competing (though failing) every year, so at some point, you can't just blame the Cowboys problems on him. It's not his fault Tony Romo goes from playing like an elite QB to playing like a college QB when the game matters. It's not like the Cowboys are making terrible picks or pickups. Dez Bryant is finally starting to look like a decent draft pick, they've got play-makers on both sides of the ball, and they haven't hired blatantly obvious terrible coaches.

The sooner JJ steps down, the sooner the Cowboys will be real threats to win a SB, but he's not doing as bad as some actual GMs.

Also, JJ still isn't as predictable as Davis either. Come draft time, we always knew who would be the Raiders' wasted top 10 pick: whoever ran the fastest 40.

vCash
    Yes and it's a joy to watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.B View Post
    That kid is just a troll. He's just upset that the rockets have spent all this money trying to buy a championship and they're still not as good as the Mavs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Starks View Post
    I'd rather have Kawhi Leonard....T Ross.... Aaron Afflalo..... Lance Stephenson....Bradley Beal....Wes Matthews....*

All over Harden. Easy.

vCash
    Al Davis was once a tremendous football guy who thought he was a businessman. Jerry Jones is a businessman who thinks he's the best football guy on the face of the planet. Both of them should have stuck to what they were good at, when they were good at it. They are/were both egomaniacs, so I suppose that's a similarity.
    “A riot,” said Martin Luther King, “is the language of the unheard.”

vCash
    Jones has always been ********, he was just over shadowed by Al Davis, now with Al gone it is just way more apparent Jerry is ********, the guy hasn't changed at all.
    2011 Suck For Luck Campaign!
    Miami 0-3
    Colts 0-3
    Chiefs 0-3
    Seahawks 1-2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast