Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

When the lead doesn't match the story

TORONTO (AP) New Toronto ace R.A. Dickey said Tuesday he's thrilled to join a team that's "all in" to win the World Series and thankful the New York Mets did not meet his contract demands.
    I read through this entire story and no where in it does Dickey ever come close to saying that he was "thankful the New York Mets did not meet his contract demands."

Dickey would NEVER say such a thing. Yes, he's glad to be with Toronto, a team that is heavily invested in the here and now. But that is MUCH different from saying he's glad the Mets didn't sign him.

I hate these f-ing writers!

http://stats.newyork.cbslocal.com/ml...f=hea&tm=&src=
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Yep. Just spices the story up to get some more readers and stir something up.

Whaddya gonna do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I read through this entire story and no where in it does Dickey ever come close to saying that he was "thankful the New York Mets did not meet his contract demands."

Dickey would NEVER say such a thing. Yes, he's glad to be with Toronto, a team that is heavily invested in the here and now. But that is MUCH different from saying he's glad the Mets didn't sign him.

The same f-ers who screwed deserving players from getting in the HOF. Like Bonds said, when these writers clean their closet out then go after somebody.

vCash
    I'm not sure if you saw the press conference but he did say something like that....I believe the question was are you angry at the mets that they didn't give better offer and he did say "No, I'm actually thankful" ..he went on to compliment the mets and thank for the opportunity but he did say that

I will look for link

vCash
    the problem is with todays media everyone has to be "Skip Bayless" and really stir controversy to make their careers. What they dont realize when they write some of these things is the way they are actually ruining careers and the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYMETS2889 View Post
    the problem is with todays media everyone has to be "Skip Bayless" and really stir controversy to make their careers. What they dont realize when they write some of these things is the way they are actually ruining careers and the game.
    Exactly. Like in Skip Bayless' case RG III, Tim Tebow & Michael Jordan can do no wrong and other talented athletes get picked on left and right so he can get recognized on TV more, just disgusting. That whole article about Dickey at the Mets charity around Christmas time was disgusting.

vCash
    Brendan Kennedy But Dickie says he's in no way a "self-made man," giving credit to previous managers, coaches and what he calls his "Jedi Council" of knuckleballers: Wakefield, Hough and Niekro.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    RAD says no acrimony with the Mets for not meeting contract demands.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Brendan Kennedy But Dickie says he's in no way a "self-made man," giving credit to previous managers, coaches and what he calls his "Jedi Council" of knuckleballers: Wakefield, Hough and Niekro.
    I loved that quote when I heard it.

vCash

I don't know the situation at that site, but quite often in journalism the writers don't write the headlines. The editor might write them, or someone else, who might not even read the story, and sensationalizes the content to attract attention and readers.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    I wish it were illegal for writers to make these outrageous stories
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash

Writers don't pick their headlines. I think the copy editors are the ones that come up with the actual headlines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I don't know the situation at that site, but quite often in journalism the writers don't write the headlines. The editor might write them, or someone else, who might not even read the story, and sensationalizes the content to attract attention and readers.
    Uh, the writer almost always writes his own lead which was what i was taking issue with. I wasn't talking about the headline.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    I first read this Associated Press article when it was posted on ESPN.COM a few days ago...

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...-join-new-team

the banner headline clearly differs from what other sources are posting and yet the text of the article is EXACTLY the same, so I went in search of the transcript of his Presser on the vague chance that there might be something omitted from the actual quotations of the story and found this..

http://metsblog.com/rumors/ra-dickey...the-blue-jays/

My take from it is while He's happy to be a Jay, he's disappointed in the Mets organization, just like all of us LOL, nowhere do i see a direct quote pertaining to the headline from the article link FoC posted...what we all know or have to realize is this was done for "Sensationalism" and to try and bring the reader around to the writer's point of view, nothing more.

vCash
    I have seen and read many stories like this. It almost seems like the writers go out of their way to convince fans that what the FO did has to be immediately justified in some fashion.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!