Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Offseason / Training camp thread

Koivu / Parise / Heatley are all at camp now, and have been skating together, more players are expected to com today.

Wild signed D Paul Mara to an AHL contract. I don't know much about Maura, other than he is a former #7 overall pick, which is irrelevant now that he is 32 years old. He last played in the NHL for the Ducks in 2011-2012. Some people seem to expect him to get some playing time with the Wild this year.

vCash
    Current training camp roster, via Russo

Forwards (15)

Zach Parise-Mikko Koivu-Dany Heatley

Matt Cullen-Mikael Granlund-Devin Setoguchi

Cal Clutterbuck-Kyle Brodziak-Pierre-Marc Bouchard

Darroll Powe-Zenon Konopka-Torrey Mitchell

Matt Kassian-Jake Dowell-Stephane Veilleux

Defensemen (8)

Ryan Suter-Jared Spurgeon

Clayton Stoner-Tom Gilbert

Justin Falk-Nate Prosser

Matt Dumba (coming in from WHL Red Deer)

Marco Scandella (groin injury, status uncertain)

Goalies (2)

Niklas Backstrom

Josh Harding

vCash
    Training camp doesnt start until Sunday, and more players are expected to be added. Right now, I am a little surprised that Zucker is not on the training camp squad, and that Dumba is. I expect Dumba is there just for the staff to tell him what to work on, and to work on those things with him. I don't think he has a real chance at making the squad.

vCash
    so deep in the forward department

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Killerjug View Post
    so deep in the forward department
    Yeah, which makes me think we swing a couple forwards for defense.

vCash
    ya i wouldnt be shocked either although idk what of those guys would have value we would probably have to trade a young guy not named granlund

vCash
    ^^^and hopefully not Coyle.

Also, I am not looking for a stud defenseman, meaning I think we could exchange some of our lower quality forwards for a 5 or 6 defender.

vCash
    What about trading away a forward and signing some like Campoli? (I believe he is still a UFA) or Brett Clark? They should come cheap and are pretty solid 5 or 6th D man.

Dumba is invited for the exact reason you put and probably because of injuries and we are short of D men. Also the coaches kind of promised him an invite to TC atleast when he was drafted just to see what he was made of. Confidence booster. I dont know if there will be different rules but he could play 9 games and then be returned to Red Deer to cover the time until Scandella or Brodin are injury free.

Coyle still is a main part of the wild moving forward (and has a higher ceiling then Zucker although Zucker is better now) we dont have to worry about him being moved.

Mara is also a solid 5 or 6. Big defensive D man who could eat 16-18 mins a night.

vCash
    I would like if Dumba played the 6 games he can play without ruining his rookie eligibility (it is 6 games in this shortened season, not 9), much like what we did with Bulmer a couple years ago. Brett sure did a good job in those 9 games a couple years ago to show the coaching staff what he was made of. Hopefully Dumba could make the most of the opportunity as well.

vCash
    Ok so it is 6 that was the I didnt know if there was different rules part. Still Scandella should be back soon (thats what I have heard) so most we would need Dumba would be what a couple games? Then we return him to Red Deer. Nothing wrong with that. But also with Mara it wont be needed. This is purely a learning thing for him.

vCash
    Connely, or oconnely...not really sure what his name is, but he was supposed to be the first dman called up, and he got injured in AHL just a couple games ago.

vCash
    we are really going to need scandella back I'm not a fan of Falk personally not bad necessarily but scandella would be a better option

vCash
    Scandella is a better option then Falk, but there were times last year Falk played really well. I like him as a 4-6 shut down big defender. Guys with his size and able to play on the blueline dont grow on trees, and his offensive game is better then you would think but he wont put up many points, he just doesnt kill our puck movement.

vCash
    isn't that exactly what stoner is though?

vCash
    Stoner is smaller, but right now tougher. Falk needs to learn to use his body better. Stoner is a shut down guy and the play usually, and very quickly, dies when he has the puck at the point. He cant cycle the puck well either and has no outlet pass. There were times last year that Falk was put out when we were down with 1-2 mins left in the third because he actually cycles the puck and creates pretty well. He also knows when to pinch and has a good hard (albeit not very accurate) shot from the point. I can remember a game, one of his first but I dont know which one, last year that he was put out there with Spurgeon with about a minute left and he was the one who stepped up and made the play that led to the tying goal.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast