Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

It's Nash's Team

I've been waiting all season for someone to assume effective leadership of this roster. Not emotional leadership, not figurative leadership, but actual leadership. Mike Brown ultimately got fired because he didn't know how to lead. Dwight Howard got brought in, in part, because he was expected to learn how to lead the team in the future, but that's clearly going to be a work in progress. Kobe Bryant staked out the title during the preseason, but has failed to back it up with anything other than volume shooting. (Has Kobe ever looked more exposed as a player than he did last night, or than he has this season when other key players have gone down to injury?)

Last night, in the loss to San Antonio I think I saw the short-term leadership solution for the Lakers, and it's Steve Nash.

As you saw when SA finally had a technical called on them, Nash has already supplanted Kobe as the team's go-to free-throw shooter, and for damn good reason:

Steve Nash (14 points, nine assists) went 2-for-2 from the foul line, inching him further past Mark Price for the best free throw percentage in league history at 2,946-of-3,259 (.90451). Nash surpassed Price (.90351) on Tuesday against Houston. Nash is now a perfect 15-for-15 on free throws this season.

http://espn.go.com/blog/los-angeles/...108-lakers-105
    Yes, you read that right. Steve Nash is the all-time league leader in free-throw percentage in NBA history. The man is steady, gutty and clutch.

But what the Lakers need more than anything is smart play. And in the fourth quarter yesterday we saw a prime example of how important that kind of cerebral approach to the game can be. On successive possessions in which Nash did and did not touch the ball the Lakers scored and whiffed respectively. And I'm guessing almost nobody can forgot the horrible shot that Metta and Kobe engineered in the baseline corner, which was bad about twenty different ways.

Defense is and will remain our most important problem. But even on that score I've been impressed with Nash's ability on defense. Relative to our younger players, he's as good or better. Against some of the best point guards in the league he's at least giving as good as he gets. And just as importantly, Nash's skills and leadership help support our defense indirectly by getting us better shots and limiting transition baskets for the other team.

Perhaps most importantly, however, Steve Nash has both a long-standing relationship with Mike D'Antoni and is respected by D'Antoni as well. If there's anyone who can communicate and negotiate with the coaching staff about what the team really needs, I think it's Steve Nash. And I think we would all agree that this team needs everyone to get on the same page pronto.

I'll be very interested to see how Nash plays on Friday, how the team responds to him, and whether or not the ball goes to him when it matters. Because I honestly don't think there's anybody on the team who should be making critical decisions for this roster. Taking critical shots is another matter all together, and there are plenty of players that I'd trust with a clean open look. But right now there's only one player I trust to find or manufacture that look.

vCash
    I wish Kobe would buckle down and play defense first and lead this team defensively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jsthornton7 View Post
    I wish Kobe would buckle down and play defense first and lead this team defensively.
    i agree, he only plays d when he feels like it. pulling his shorts up acting like he's a defensive stopper.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LAKobeBryant View Post
    i agree, he only plays d when he feels like it. pulling his shorts up acting like he's a defensive stopper.
    When he does pull his shorts up he is a defensive stopper, obviously he will get scored on sometimes, but it makes a much bigger difference when he plays committed defense.

Kobe branded himself as the defensive stopper for the "Redeem Team", focused on defense and let the other guys on Team USA do most of the scoring. He needs to take up that role again.

vCash
    SO NAsh is a better defender than Kobe? Can NAsh play 40 + minutes every night from now on? Can NAsh score 30 points and carry the team? Or is Nash job to distribute the ball and along with the rest of the team including Kobe play better defense? I think that Nash can not play more than 25 minutes at the pace needed to become his team. I think that the question is When do we get Phil back and stop the disgraceful season? The Problem is the coach and the guy who hire him. Yes NAsh need to score more and stop setting players like Meeks or Sacre when he can take over or have a better player taking the pass. He is too old to be the man!

vCash
    Well, he sure isn't leading us to wins

vCash
    When he does pull his shorts up he is a defensive stopper, obviously he will get scored on sometimes, but it makes a much bigger difference when he plays committed defense.

Kobe branded himself as the defensive stopper for the "Redeem Team", focused on defense and let the other guys on Team USA do most of the scoring. He needs to take up that role again.
    SO this team is comparable to the Olympic team? If Kobe plays only defense and aloud the "others to score" the Lakers will be even worst than they are now! Meeks,Sacre,Morris,Duhon,Blake,Gasoft,and Jamison are inconsistent as hell to say the least. NAsh too lod and to friendly. Howard out of shape by his own admission. Meta and Hill maybe just because they actually fight! Yes,let Kobe just play defense then what?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by New Power House View Post
    SO NAsh is a better defender than Kobe? Can NAsh play 40 + minutes every night from now on? Can NAsh score 30 points and carry the team? Or is Nash job to distribute the ball and along with the rest of the team including Kobe play better defense? I think that Nash can not play more than 25 minutes at the pace needed to become his team. I think that the question is When do we get Phil back and stop the disgraceful season? The Problem is the coach and the guy who hire him. Yes NAsh need to score more and stop setting players like Meeks or Sacre when he can take over or have a better player taking the pass. He is too old to be the man!
    I know you think Kobe can do no wrong, but even in your perpetually deluded state about the Lakers you know I didn't say Nash was a better defender than Kobe. If Kobe wants to play defense then yes, he's obviously better.

Having said that, if you only look at last night, I think it's an open question whether Nash or Kobe did a better job of keeping their own man from getting to the hole with ease. How many times did Kobe literally lose his man for an easy score? Three times? Four? Five?

The Lakers clearly have to be careful about Nash's minutes. I think Nash could score plenty if he was the main option, but he's a point guard and doesn't think the way your average selfish shooter thinks. Which brings me back to the gist of my post. If the Lakers want to win consistently they have to play smarter. Harder, yes, particularly on the defensive end, but smarter in every way.

Steve Nash is the only guy on the team that can make that happen. And I don't really see any way to argue against that premise.

As for being "The Man," a little Laker history lesson. When Magic Johnson joined the Lakers, Kareem was The Man. His nickname on the team was "Cap" because he was the captain. But if you ask anyone who was the leader of the Lakers from the moment Earvin joined the league, the answer is that Magic was the leader. Kobe is and probably always will be The Man unless or until Dwight really does begin to dominate. But neither of them has shown the ability to be the leader of the team when he's on the floor. And again I don't see any way to argue against that conclusion. We tried everything else, we're still playing like idiots, and Nash has the tools -- albeit at an advanced age.

I don't see any downside to giving him authority to match his talent level. If we can slow the other teams down, we shouldn't need more than 25-30 minutes from Nash each night, as long as he's on the floor to close the game.

vCash

my point was he only plays "committed defence" 5% of the time. rest he gets lazy let his corner man open and don't even contest

vCash
    Nash needs to be more assertive. That is not Kobe's fault or D'antoni's. That is on Nash. He needs to shoot when open and know when to hold onto the ball.

We can't continue to give up double digit runs. Nash needs to read game situations better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by New Power House View Post
    SO this team is comparable to the Olympic team? If Kobe plays only defense and aloud the "others to score" the Lakers will be even worst than they are now! Meeks,Sacre,Morris,Duhon,Blake,Gasoft,and Jamison are inconsistent as hell to say the least. NAsh too lod and to friendly. Howard out of shape by his own admission. Meta and Hill maybe just because they actually fight! Yes,let Kobe just play defense then what?
    First off, you are a poor reader. Did I say ONLY play defense and not score? NO

I said he needs to focus on playing defense instead of neglecting it. We are playing with 3 perimeter players who do not defend. Nash, Morris and Kobe Then people want to blame Howard for not being a defensive beast.

Let Nash run the offense. He gets people easy shots. The guy is returning from a broken leg, he needs some time.

Second, you are a poor speller. ALLOWED ~ Not ALOUD. WORSE ~ Not Worst.

I would respond to the rest but it is pretty incoherent from there on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GailGoodrich View Post
    I know you think Kobe can do no wrong, but even in your perpetually deluded state about the Lakers you know I didn't say Nash was a better defender than Kobe. If Kobe wants to play defense then yes, he's obviously better.

Having said that, if you only look at last night, I think it's an open question whether Nash or Kobe did a better job of keeping their own man from getting to the hole with ease. How many times did Kobe literally lose his man for an easy score? Three times? Four? Five?

The Lakers clearly have to be careful about Nash's minutes. I think Nash could score plenty if he was the main option, but he's a point guard and doesn't think the way your average selfish shooter thinks. Which brings me back to the gist of my post. If the Lakers want to win consistently they have to play smarter. Harder, yes, particularly on the defensive end, but smarter in every way.

Steve Nash is the only guy on the team that can make that happen. And I don't really see any way to argue against that premise.

As for being "The Man," a little Laker history lesson. When Magic Johnson joined the Lakers, Kareem was The Man. His nickname on the team was "Cap" because he was the captain. But if you ask anyone who was the leader of the Lakers from the moment Earvin joined the league, the answer is that Magic was the leader. Kobe is and probably always will be The Man unless or until Dwight really does begin to dominate. But neither of them has shown the ability to be the leader of the team when he's on the floor. And again I don't see any way to argue against that conclusion. We tried everything else, we're still playing like idiots, and Nash has the tools -- albeit at an advanced age.

I don't see any downside to giving him authority to match his talent level. If we can slow the other teams down, we shouldn't need more than 25-30 minutes from Nash each night, as long as he's on the floor to close the game.

I also think Nash is the one that should have have taken final 3 point shot.... you could clearly see Kobe was losing his legs... his last 4 or 5 shots were all short... he didn't have lift in his shot anymore, but he kept chucking... while you have arguably the greatest shooter in NBA history not taking a shot.
    ... You know you got a good DVR... whenever you hit pause on your remote during the action and it displays its favorite player....

vCash
    Great. Nash is leading this team to encouraging losses.

Free As Seagull.

vCash
    ^ llullz
    #FreeCrooner!!!!

vCash
    If Kobe gets reduced minutes he might play defense
    Oggi pensu iu, dumani pensa Diu

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast