Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Get in line, I'm dying to know how its done.
    You get in line. I'm a former Man of the Cloth! (MotC)
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    You get in line. I'm a former Man of the Cloth! (MotC)

vCash

Prospect d’Arnaud plans on making Mets this spring and staying

You can request a minor change ie. a capitalization or a spelling error. You can not get an entirely new name.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    You can request a minor change ie. a capitalization or a spelling error. You can not get an entirely new name.
    That'd be me. I want to go from KingZoFkWeeNz to KingsOfQueens. Nothing drastic.

Can you help a brotha out!? It's just changing the "Z" to "S" and "Kw" to "Qu".

vCash
    It'd be nice to see d'Arnaud make the team out of spring. It would only show that he had impressed management and the fans a lot and prove how talented of a player we really have in him.
    #oneatatime

vCash
    Who can I ask to take that extra "n" out of my SN for me?

On second thought, nah.

I think i like it this way.
    "Mr. Martin Tanner, Baritone, of Dayton, Ohio made his Town Hall debut last night. He came well prepared, but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistently interesting. Full time consideration of another endeavor might be in order."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    It'd be nice to see d'Arnaud make the team out of spring. It would only show that he had impressed management and the fans a lot and prove how talented of a player we really have in him.
    For a minor league catching prospect looking to start on a Big League Team, there can be no better place to be in February than Port St. Lucie, Fla.

vCash
    Don't even start to talk about immature/crappy names, stuck with this crap for 5 years now
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    I'm glad you noticed.

I'm free and unfettered...I feel like a naked-innocent boy roaming the countryside.
    I just threw up my oatmeal. The orderlies in the dining room are pissed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    I just threw up my oatmeal. The orderlies in the dining room are pissed.
    What if he said naked-guilty?
    There are no men like me, only me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangers&MetsFTW View Post
    What if he said naked-guilty?
    Same-same

vCash
    If you want to change your name, here's how it goes....

First of all, it can't be drastic. For example, I just had my name changed from "yankees90." to "Yankees90." Just a simple capitalization. People still have to be able to tell who you are/were even after the name change.

If you want to capitalize, add/remove a letter, or maybe even spell a word correctly, you can request it. But you can't completely change your name.

The admin "Sports Illustrated" did it for me, so try asking him. But it seems like he gets bombed with these requests, so go easy on him lol
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    71-66

G: 123 | AVG: .261| HR: 3| RBI: 37| OBP: .309 | SLG: .311 | wOBA: .281 | wRC: 74

vCash
    Can't wait to see this kid play.

vCash
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_nym&c_id=nym
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. -- Sometimes Travis d'Arnaud plays guitar, a remnant of teenage afternoons as a string virtuoso. "I was first chair," the catcher says proudly of his middle school career, reflecting on a hobby he still indulges every so often.

Music, for d'Arnaud, is like baseball in a way. Even these days, when he plays simply to pass the hours, he wants to be great.

"But for, like, a less amount of time," he laughed, his speech exposing a certain measure of California cool. "For five minutes I'll really try, and then my mind will start wandering and I'll just do something else."

It was that skittish attention span that led d'Arnaud to volunteer for catching when he was 14 years old, quickly falling in love with the position because it allowed him to engage in every play. Behind the plate he developed into a high school star, a top 40 Draft pick, trade bait for a Cy Young Award winner, a top-10 prospect, trade bait for another Cy Young Award winner, and now, at age 24, the next great hope for a Mets franchise panning the infield dirt for any sort of optimism.

d'Arnaud still wants to be great.

"This has been his goal forever," d'Arnaud's high school coach, Spud O'Neil, said. "He always knew that he wanted to be a professional baseball player."

Sometimes d'Arnaud plays videogames, the only activity that keeps him still. He sits in his Port St. Lucie apartment with his favorite game, challenging random opponents online.

Those opponents have no idea they are playing against, and often losing to, the No. 6 prospect in baseball.

"He's very competitive," said teammate Robert Carson, whose blossoming friendship included a recent trip to see d'Arnaud's beloved NBA Lakers lose to the Heat in Miami. "He beat me once, but I'm up on him right now. But he's actually real good."

d'Arnaud may not say much in general, but he grows expressive, even impish, when the situation allows it.

Here's an example: when a former teammate began yelling "Oppo Taco" every time d'Arnaud hit an opposite-field home run, he embraced the chant. He and his teammates emblazoned T-shirts with the phrase, and d'Arnaud began "prancing" -- his word -- around the dugout come Oppo Taco time.

He remembers a different game around the same time period, squatting behind the plate in 2011 for Double-A New Hampshire, when a New Britain hitter smashed what appeared to be a late game-tying single. Two years earlier, the Phillies had traded d'Arnaud, their former supplemental-round Draft pick, to the Jays as part of a package for all-everything pitcher Roy Halladay.

d'Arnaud's name was an afterthought in that deal, which included pitchers Cliff Lee and Kyle Drabek -- the latter a better-regarded prospect at the time. But he was on every scout's radar by the time he reached New Britain, where right fielder Moises Sierra fielded the ball and fired to d'Arnaud. In one motion, he received it and fell on the runner just before he crossed home plate.

"I was fired up," d'Arnaud said, revealing a glimpse of that brimstone as he recounted the story. "It was good. The crowd was really loud, because I was probably saying some stuff I shouldn't have been saying."

Sometimes d'Arnaud studies. That's not uncommon for catchers, whose position demands more time in the video room than any other.

But it is somewhat rare for a 24-year-old catcher, who could easily skate by on his offense alone, to immerse himself so fully in the file cabinets of Major League scouts. When bench coach Bob Geren showed d'Arnaud the Mets' video room for the first time this spring, he was, in Geren's words, "kind of blown away."

"He soaked that in and he was asking questions as we were going," Geren said. "I said, 'This is good. This is a good sign.'"

Geren, who doubles as the team's catching instructor, showed d'Arnaud video of Johan Santana pitching to a particular veteran big league hitter. When Geren displayed the hitter's tendencies on inside fastballs, d'Arnaud wanted to know about low-and-inside heaters. When Geren called up tendencies on low-and-inside fastballs, d'Arnaud asked about offspeed pitches.

At Lakewood High in Southern California, O'Neil tells his players that "defense wins championships," a quote that d'Arnaud likes to recite. It's not just politics. O'Neil recalls d'Arnaud beating him to the mound during routine in-game visits.

"He wasn't always a catcher, and when I'd go out to the mound, he'd be out there, right in on it and learning," O'Neil said. "We didn't have to do much with him as far as the teaching process."

Most often d'Arnaud plays baseball, which is why the Mets traded away one of the most likeable, relatable, successful pitchers in franchise history to acquire him. His reputation proceeded him to Flushing. In online polls, thousands of local fans lauded the deal, even though it stripped the Mets of their first Cy Young Award winner in more than a quarter-century.

d'Arnaud hit 16 home runs last year at Triple-A Las Vegas with a .380 on-base percentage in 67 games, numbers that should have vaulted him to the big leagues by the All-Star break. As it was, d'Arnaud tore a ligament in his left knee in June, prematurely ending his season.

He worked and rehabbed and was fine by the holidays, hiking around Lake Tahoe with his girlfriend, Britney, in November. Less than a month later, the Jays made him the centerpiece of a deal to bring R.A. Dickey to Toronto, ending one era in New York while establishing another.

The Mets also acquired a top-flight pitching prospect in the seven-player deal, a veteran catcher and one other prospect. But it was d'Arnaud whom they coveted, d'Arnaud who represented the key to everything.

The Mets wanted this guitar-playing, video-game-beating, defense-loving catcher in blue and orange, knowing he was the type of "difference-maker" that general manager Sandy Alderson sought. The last time the Mets employed a superstar behind the plate, Mike Piazza led them to the World Series. Most teams that travel deep into the postseason these days boast a conspicuous catcher of their own.

"Recognize, we could have kept R.A. here," Mets principal owner Fred Wilpon said Wednesday. "We could have signed him or we could have kept him here -- he was under contract -- or we could have gotten exactly what we wanted.

Like d'Arnaud, Wilpon grew animated as he spoke.

"We got a fit that is exactly what we wanted."

vCash
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/15/sp...&emc=rss&_r=1&
    PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. — Travis d’Arnaud began his professional baseball career straight out of high school, so for him, working through the first couple of days at the Mets’ spring training center has felt as if he were suddenly in college.

As he has shuttled from field to field and meeting to meeting, as he has tried to learn names and faces and get to places on time, he is, in effect, the college freshman he never was.

“It’s almost like going to classes, trying to learn all these things at once,” he said.

D’Arnaud, who turned 24 this month, became a big man on the Mets’ campus when he emerged as the centerpiece of a package that the Toronto Blue Jays sent to the Mets this winter in exchange for R. A. Dickey, the knuckleballer and 2012 Cy Young Award winner.

If things work out as d’Arnaud and the Mets hope, he could be a standout behind the plate for the next decade.

But first he has to establish himself on the major league level — where he has yet to play a single inning — and even before that, he has to learn his way around the Mets.

The team’s catchers, for instance, met this week to discuss each Mets pitcher’s key — a term used to describe a reliable way to solve a pitcher’s problem, a mental shortcut to keep his delivery in sync. One pitcher’s key might be the positioning of his front foot; another’s could be the plane of his elbow. D’Arnaud has to learn them all.

So far, said the bench coach Bob Geren, who works closely with the team’s catchers, d’Arnaud has been a solid pupil.

“He’s taken to anything and everything I’ve shown him,” Geren said, “and he’s taken to it well. He’s got a real good work ethic, and the talent is there.”

Geren said he sensed he could “speed up the learning curve” with d’Arnaud, so he took him aside to show him the various resources and materials available for big league catchers — such as intricately sortable video databases — that d’Arnaud had never seen.

“He soaked it all in, and was right there with me,” Geren said.

On Wednesday, the first official day of workouts for pitchers, d’Arnaud caught bullpen sessions for LaTroy Hawkins, a 40-year-old right-hander who was drafted when d’Arnaud was 2 years old, and Jon Niese, a 26-year-old left-handed starter whose continued development will be a story line to watch this season.

Such moments, d’Arnaud said — when a catcher can see a pitcher from behind the plate for the first time, when subtleties that do not exist on video become clear — are among his favorite aspects of the game.

“They all have their set routines, and you learn so much just by going through it with them,” d’Arnaud said. “You follow them, and you see what pitches they like to throw, and when and how they through them.”

While catching Hawkins, d’Arnaud noticed the consistency of his movements, honed over nearly two decades as a major leaguer. Catching Niese, d’Arnaud noticed his large hands and sturdy frame, traits the Mets hope will translate to continued durability.

D’Arnaud said he would take his bullpen observations and log them by hand into notebooks.

“The way I learn, I like to write it down,” he said. “When I write it down, I remember it.”

The process will continue for every Mets pitcher, and d’Arnaud said he was particularly looking forward to catching the right-hander Zach Wheeler, who, like d’Arnaud, is one of the Mets’ top prospects.

At the moment, it appears the two players will begin the season together at Class AAA Las Vegas, forming a pitcher-catcher combination that could easily make it to Queens by midseason.

In the Dickey trade, the Mets also acquired John Buck, a veteran catcher who occupies the locker next to d’Arnaud, and who will probably start in the regular season until d’Arnaud is deemed ready.

Manager Terry Collins has said that d’Arnaud would not make the major league team as a backup.

Paul DePodesta, the team’s vice president for player development, said d’Arnaud’s appeal to the Mets’ front office had a lot to do with the scarcity of capable hitters who happen to play one of the key defensive positions on the field — shortstop and catcher being two of them.

“We really believe he can be an above-average defender and an above-average offensive player at the same time, while playing a position where that sort of player can be really, really hard to find,” DePodesta said. “He’s always been a highly touted guy, and there’s no doubt that his abilities for his age exceed his peer group.”

Having always been ahead of the curve, d’Arnaud will try to stay there, catching, hitting and, of course, studying.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast