Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Prospect d’Arnaud plans on making Mets this spring and staying

The confident — but not boastful — d’Arnaud plans on winning a job with the Mets in spring training.

“I believe in myself, that’s pretty much it,’’ d’Arnaud told me in his no-nonsense way after his impressive batting practice at his alma mater, Lakewood High School. “I can’t wait. I am going to play as hard as I can every day, do everything I can to help the team win.

“Hopefully, I can make it.’’
    Listen to what his legendary high school coach Spud O’Neil told me: “Travis is one of the brightest kids we’ve ever had. He is a big-time natural leader who helped all the younger kids. He always knew [the majors] is where he wanted to be. ... The Mets have a great find. They don’t even know what they have in Travis.’’

The Mets will most likely have d’Arnaud begin the season at Triple-A Las Vegas to form the battery of the future with pitcher Zack Wheeler. Having d’Arnaud spend the first 20 days in the minors will start the free-agent clock one year later as well.

Make no mistake, d’Arnaud (pronounced Dar-No) is here to help the Mets now. He turns 24 next month. When he does arrive, he plans on staying a long, long time.

Immediately after he was acquired from the Blue Jays in last month’s R.A. Dickey trade, d’Arnaud received a congratulatory call from Wright.

“He was actually out of the country at a wedding and I was honored that he even thought about calling me,” Travis said. “He’s such a great guy in New York. I can’t wait to meet him face to face.’’
    If he must start the season at Triple-A, where he was dominating last season with the Blue Jays before injuring his knee June 25, d’Arnaud will take the same competitive, mature, intelligent mind set to the minors.

“I don’t think about expectations,’’ he said. “I concentrate on what I can control.’’

Asked what kind of player the Mets will be getting, d’Arnaud offered this scouting report: “A smart player, who knows the game really well, understands team chemistry and how important it is.’’

There are so many reasons why d’Arnaud is built for success.

“Travis is kind of this quiet Goliath,’’ his dad explained. “He likes to move forward in kind of a confident way. He’s not very boastful, but he’s got more confidence than any player that I’ve ever coached.

“Most every team he’s played on, he’s wound up being a leader, even though he is not a verbal leader, just the way he conducts himself on the field.’’
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...muY4AqHN1UrK/1

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Does anyone want to venture a guess at maybe a 2nd position and when? I know we finally get a good catching prospect and someone wants to move him to a new position to preserve him.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    No thank you.

I would him to be part of the lineage of solid catchers this franchise has had.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”

vCash
    Fun Fact:
    The Mets catchers have had 20 All-Star appearance.

More than any other position besides right handed pitching.

vCash

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    Fun Fact:
    The Mets catchers have had 20 All-Star appearance.

More than any other position besides right handed pitching.
    Was a fun fact. Looking forward to watching him play. June 1st (ETA) can't come quick enough.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    But d’Arnaud’s drive to his local Ralph’s, a grocery store near where he lives in Southern California, wasn’t about to be interrupted by someone looking to sign him up for a credit card. This was David Wright calling to welcome him to the Mets, the day d’Arnaud was traded by the Blue Jays as the centerpiece of the deal for R.A. Dickey.

D’Arnaud took Wright’s call in a lefthand turn lane and finished the conversation while sitting in the store parking lot. He is laughing as he recounts the story Wednesday afternoon over lunch — he’s just finished a plate of salmon and a bowl of Edamame — in part because his friend in the passenger seat was amazed when he said who it was.

But it’s also clear the call meant something to him. “I was so pumped,” d’Arnaud says. “He was at a wedding and he took the time to call. I don’t know how to describe it. It shows he’s big on team chemistry.”

As it happens, so is d’Arnaud, who grew up in what he calls a “huge baseball community” in this city of about 80,000 near Long Beach. D’Arnaud decided to go to Lakewood High instead of the rival school his older brother, Chase — now an infielder for the Pittsburgh Pirates — attended, so he could play baseball with many of the same kids he won a youth World Series with at the age of 14, a thrill the guy who has been part of two separate trades for Cy Young winners — Roy Halladay is the other one — still calls his favorite baseball memory.

He revels in retelling how while in the minors he helped forge a team rallying cry by yelling “Oppo Taco” whenever he hit an opposite-field home run, cracking up teammates and sparking handshakes and T-shirts.

He goes to his old high school during the offseason to hit and throw, and even though the players are used to seeing the solidly-built 23-year-old sporting a Chicago Bulls cap, some watch him out of the corners of their eyes as he passes.
    Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...#ixzz2HaSdsTDA

vCash
    I can't wait to see him and Wheeler. They shouldn't take too long if they don't start on the team.

vCash

Prospect d’Arnaud plans on making Mets this spring and staying

June is when I think both will be up, Mets will be well out of it by then.

vCash
    He's had 5 years in the minors. Now is the time to start him in the majors. No half-way into the season stuff. Start him now and let him learn. It's all about 2014, and 2015 and beyond. Let him get to know the league. Let him make his mistakes NOW in a worthless season so that he's ready.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bootleg42 View Post
    He's had 5 years in the minors. Now is the time to start him in the majors. No half-way into the season stuff. Start him now and let him learn. It's all about 2014, and 2015 and beyond. Let him get to know the league. Let him make his mistakes NOW in a worthless season so that he's ready.
    And lose a year to Free Agency?

vCash
    Hopefully he will be up sometime in May. Watching him, Harvey, and Wheeler should definitely add some excitement to this season. And if Ike and Niese keep maturing, it could make for a nice young core for years to come.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

vCash
    He should come up the day he is eligible, not a day sooner and not a day later.

Minute Rice: Put him in the bullpen, warm him up, and he's ready to serve.

vCash
    So refreshing to have a positive thread going.

vCash
    yeah he'll come up with Wheeler once Santana is down this year

vCash
    Yeah it's pretty obvious they are going to wait till May or June or if they desperately need him due to injury after those first 3 weeks of the season.

They aren't losing a year of FA from the kid..

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast