Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 109
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,429
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    Look, the guy isn't completely wrong. Had Alex thrown that TD to Crabs at the end of the Pats game, most everyone would have been doing nothing but heaping praise on LMJ for the return, and Crabs for turning a 4 yrd pass into a long YAC TD... and would have likely been *****ing about Alex throwing a short check down pass again.
    Oh I didn't say the play wasn't more Crabtree than Kaepernick. I was more getting at the fact that not only was it not a 4 yard pass...it wasn't even a slant. Kaep threw a 10 yard hitch and Crabtree made it a 40 yard TD. There are times when the play is made by the WR and times where it's made by the QB. The TDs to Moss, earlier to Crabtree and to Walker were great plays made by Kaep. The difference to me is Smith didn't do those things enough. For the most part...plays were going to be made after the catch by the WR...or they weren't going to be made. Smith put them in position by getting them the ball, but sometimes the QB has to be the one to make it happen. He didn't do that enough in my opinion.

    I think it's 50/50 that Smith even throws the pass to Moss. About 80/20 that the TD to Walker would have actually be thrown to Davis. Although it still may have worked...Walker was definitely the right guy to throw to on the play. And 0% chance he even attempts the 1st TD to Crabtree.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,429
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Aside from GB his stat line against playoff level teams this year is pretty bland and basically what I said "safe, but not going to win it for you". I will give him week 1, great game against the Packers, but you look at Seattle game 1, Minnesota and the Giants (181 yards per game, 2/5 TD/INT ratio, comp % always over 60 tho), not a great stretch against good teams, lost 2 won 1. The rest of the teams he played against had a combined 21-33 record. So he had one good game against top level competition this year, then was average against other good teams, and was good in games he should be good in, just doesn't stand out to me as impressive as some think he was being.
    As much as I think GB is a dangerous team...one thing they are not is a top level defense. They're pretty middle of the road and last season they were pretty close to dead last. Smith played very efficiently and the Niners thuroughly dominated both sides of the LOS.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    9,734
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastSportz View Post
    Its not like VD was wide open in the endzone. Alex made a fantastic throw, threaded 2 defenders to a spot where VD was suppose to be and he was. Not sure you take anything away from that play.
    It was the play before that when the Saints blitzed and VD got all the yards.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post

    The Seattle game shows me all I need to see. The confused, lost, deer in headlights look we saw that game was all I need to see in our Colin reacts to adversity.
    Oh, you mean the same look Alex had during all of his losses also?

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,429
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    Oh, you mean the same look Alex had during all of his losses also?
    I can agree with his AND your statements here. I'm concerned that the coaches have lapeses where they don't prepare the team well. The biggest concern to me was the fact that Kaepernick seemed completely unaware of the play-clock. Understandable that the O be a little late coming out of the huddle due to crowd noise...but that's something the coaching staff needs to be aware of in pregame prep.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    troy, ny
    Posts
    296
    vCash
    1500
    Honestly this whole ordeal with the way Smith has been treated by the coaches and the fans has put a sour taste in my mouth and has made even enjoying a playoff difficult in a lot of ways.

    I just don't like how we as fans fixated on what Alex can't or won't do instead of what he can and did do. To say he didn't win games for us in disingenuous just because he didn't win them the same way that Peyton or Brees does. He was on pace to throw 25 td's and less than 8 ints with a ridiculously high completion %, which I think is great. I also took great pride in him discovering his own game, sticking with the team, working hard and playing a fantastic brand of mistake free football that I personally found extremely fun to watch and even easier to route for. It had been up until he was benched the most fun I had watching the 49ers since 1998 (though I did enjoy Jeff Garcia almost as much as Smith) and I feel cheated right now (I can't imagine how he feels).

    Kap is cool and all but I have no real attachment to him yet. Couple that with that fact that he is replacing one of my all time favorite 49ers in an ugly manner --he has a bit of an uphill climb to go with me. That is not his fault and it isn't that I dislike him, I just like the team led by Alex much more, win or lose.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nothern Colorado
    Posts
    1,811
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NinerHomer49 View Post
    Oh I didn't say the play wasn't more Crabtree than Kaepernick. I was more getting at the fact that not only was it not a 4 yard pass...it wasn't even a slant. Kaep threw a 10 yard hitch and Crabtree made it a 40 yard TD. There are times when the play is made by the WR and times where it's made by the QB. The TDs to Moss, earlier to Crabtree and to Walker were great plays made by Kaep. The difference to me is Smith didn't do those things enough. For the most part...plays were going to be made after the catch by the WR...or they weren't going to be made. Smith put them in position by getting them the ball, but sometimes the QB has to be the one to make it happen. He didn't do that enough in my opinion.

    I think it's 50/50 that Smith even throws the pass to Moss. About 80/20 that the TD to Walker would have actually be thrown to Davis. Although it still may have worked...Walker was definitely the right guy to throw to on the play. And 0% chance he even attempts the 1st TD to Crabtree.
    Technically it was a 6 yard pass (really about 5 1/2, he under threw it a bit) - I just watched the play. But to me the only thing that mattered on that play (besides Crabs is a stud), is Kaep made an off the script read of the defense and executed it. But I still say if Alex had done the same thing, many would have referred to him as just still Capt. Check Down/Mr Game Manager and it was all on Crabs. But with Kaep making it, it was a great read and play by Kaep followed by a great run from Crabs.

    I do also agree that for the most part Alex counted on his receivers to make YAC, which is really a typical West Coast Offense style of play. So I personally never saw a problem with it, and enjoyed it. I will also agree that Alex missed shots down the field, but I'm not always sure why - could it have been him progressing through his reads faster than Kaep does because Alex has a tendency to want to throw a safer throw and Kaep goes through his reads slower as he has a tendency to want to make a bigger throw?
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Nothern Colorado
    Posts
    1,811
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    Honestly this whole ordeal with the way Smith has been treated by the coaches and the fans has put a sour taste in my mouth and has made even enjoying a playoff difficult in a lot of ways.

    I just don't like how we as fans fixated on what Alex can't or won't do instead of what he can and did do. To say he didn't win games for us in disingenuous just because he didn't win them the same way that Peyton or Brees does. He was on pace to throw 25 td's and less than 8 ints with a ridiculously high completion %, which I think is great. I also took great pride in him discovering his own game, sticking with the team, working hard and playing a fantastic brand of mistake free football that I personally found extremely fun to watch and even easier to route for. It had been up until he was benched the most fun I had watching the 49ers since 1998 (though I did enjoy Jeff Garcia almost as much as Smith) and I feel cheated right now (I can't imagine how he feels).

    Kap is cool and all but I have no real attachment to him yet. Couple that with that fact that he is replacing one of my all time favorite 49ers in an ugly manner --he has a bit of an uphill climb to go with me. That is not his fault and it isn't that I dislike him, I just like the team led by Alex much more, win or lose.


    (channeling my inner lolPhill)

    But not sure I'd call Alex one of my all time favorite 49ers, he definitely has a place in my fan heart.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    169
    vCash
    1500
    I don't blindly root for an organization that treats their players like trash. If you wants to say the ends justifies the means, we better get to the end.

    I can see this end up being a Rex Ryan situation all over again in SF. It's going to the the Jim Harbaugh's way or the highway.

    Jim Harbaugh made this move, and the results better show.

    Surprisingly, Alex is only 28, after all the BS he's been through in SF, you would have thunk he was 34 on his last leg in SF.

    He's only 3 years older than Kaepernick.

    Alex Smith will win a Superbowl before Colin, mark my words.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    I'm glad you brought up that New England game fella.

    We were up some outrageous amount, like 31-3 at half?

    Tom Brady turns into a beast and scores, and scores, and scores?

    Colin's response? 3 back to back to back 3 and out drives.

    How did we win? LMJ huge return. A defender falls versus Crabtree on a 4 yard slant pass and we get an easy touchdown.

    I haven't seen anything from Colin that points to him being able to overcome adversity, and despite what many think, the New England game, if you really look at it, shows that.

    He's good when you get a huge lead, but he hasn't shown one good licking of being able to battle back from a deficit.

    How many times this season has Colin been in a deficit and won?

    Playoffs are a different beast. You have lead changes constantly.

    This rookie QB is a pretender.

    Better hope we never trail, because if we do, we're done.

    And you can quote me on that.

    If you can't see what Kaepernick does for this team as opposed to Smith, ur opinion doesnt matter because clearly your not watching.
    I truly cannot believe how people on here, who are 49er fans and watch the games think that Alex Smith is a better option, its mind blowing start watching.
    Last edited by miller74; 01-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.


    “Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    I don't blindly root for an organization that treats their players like trash. If you wants to say the ends justifies the means, we better get to the end.

    I can see this end up being a Rex Ryan situation all over again in SF. It's going to the the Jim Harbaugh's way or the highway.

    Jim Harbaugh made this move, and the results better show.

    Surprisingly, Alex is only 28, after all the BS he's been through in SF, you would have thunk he was 34 on his last leg in SF.

    He's only 3 years older than Kaepernick.

    Alex Smith will win a Superbowl before Colin, mark my words.
    So being nice to Alex Smith is more important doing whats best for the other 52 guys??


    “Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    169
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by miller74 View Post
    So being nice to Alex Smith is more important doing whats best for the other 52 guys??
    How is letting a QB with the highest completion % in the NFL finish a season being nice?

    So because Jimmy boy thinks Colin > Smith, Colin must be the superior QB?

    O baby, look at those guns, those biceps, those legs, O YES BABY!!!

    Coaches never get it wrong right?

    Rex Ryan was pretty idolized his first two years in New York too, nothing he did could be wrong. Now he's the most hated guy in New York and everything he touches turns to poop.

    I'm not drinking the JH kool-aid.

    Once the tape gets out on CK, he'll be nothing more than a Cam Newton racking up stats and not winning. Just u wait n see.


    You treat your players right, if they're producing and excelling, you let them play.

    This notion that you can lose your job to an injury is going to manifest itself into a huge problem in San Francisco.
    Last edited by Rotation; 01-11-2013 at 01:15 PM.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Donating blood: Red and Gold+
    Posts
    31,763
    vCash
    6419
    Quote Originally Posted by dulcetpine View Post
    Honestly this whole ordeal with the way Smith has been treated by the coaches and the fans has put a sour taste in my mouth and has made even enjoying a playoff difficult in a lot of ways.

    I just don't like how we as fans fixated on what Alex can't or won't do instead of what he can and did do. To say he didn't win games for us in disingenuous just because he didn't win them the same way that Peyton or Brees does. He was on pace to throw 25 td's and less than 8 ints with a ridiculously high completion %, which I think is great. I also took great pride in him discovering his own game, sticking with the team, working hard and playing a fantastic brand of mistake free football that I personally found extremely fun to watch and even easier to route for. It had been up until he was benched the most fun I had watching the 49ers since 1998 (though I did enjoy Jeff Garcia almost as much as Smith) and I feel cheated right now (I can't imagine how he feels).

    Kap is cool and all but I have no real attachment to him yet. Couple that with that fact that he is replacing one of my all time favorite 49ers in an ugly manner --he has a bit of an uphill climb to go with me. That is not his fault and it isn't that I dislike him, I just like the team led by Alex much more, win or lose.
    Ultimately it's just your opinion. You like Alex as a person and as an athlete, fine. They don't pay you to be a nice guy when it comes to an NFL franchise. Execution is the most important thing, because winning is the only goal. You don't have to like it, just like I don't have to feel sorry for a guy making millions regardless of where he plays.

    You carry on like it was some great disservice to him, and if the only reason for giving you the most memorable games since 98 is Alex and not everything else the Niners are then you aren't a fan of the Niners at all, you are just an Alex fan. I don't claim to know you and I hate judging people in any way, but all the signs show that you aren't a true fan of the red and gold, because I can't possibly fathom how the loss of one player overwhelms the joy and drive of a playoff run. It's inconceivable to me.

    Do you not understand how professional sports, or even life itself for that matter work? The way you act about the switch makes it seem like life was always fair until that point.

    People make such a big deal out of this, it's not like they benched some great player for no reason. Just because you wanted Alex to play for the Niners forever doesn't mean everyone else did, or that it would even be logical, or in some way the best for the team.

    The bottom line is you have cried (metaphorically) about the switch since it happened, and I have yet to read any real reason to why it was the wrong decision, all I see from you are attachment issues.


    Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana


    Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Donating blood: Red and Gold+
    Posts
    31,763
    vCash
    6419
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    I don't blindly root for an organization that treats their players like trash. If you wants to say the ends justifies the means, we better get to the end.

    I can see this end up being a Rex Ryan situation all over again in SF. It's going to the the Jim Harbaugh's way or the highway.

    Jim Harbaugh made this move, and the results better show.

    Surprisingly, Alex is only 28, after all the BS he's been through in SF, you would have thunk he was 34 on his last leg in SF.

    He's only 3 years older than Kaepernick.

    Alex Smith will win a Superbowl before Colin, mark my words.
    Then don't.

    Jim Harbaugh also made the decision to gamble keeping alex before the 2011 season. How did that work out?

    Words are marked. Hope you eat your crow as vigorously as you rip Kaepernick and Harbaugh.


    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    How is letting a QB with the highest completion % in the NFL finish a season being nice?

    So because Jimmy boy thinks Colin > Smith, Colin must be the superior QB?

    O baby, look at those guns, those biceps, those legs, O YES BABY!!!

    Coaches never get it wrong right?

    Rex Ryan was pretty idolized his first two years in New York too, nothing he did could be wrong. Now he's the most hated guy in New York and everything he touches turns to poop.

    I'm not drinking the JH kool-aid.

    Once the tape gets out on CK, he'll be nothing more than a Cam Newton racking up stats and not winning. Just u wait n see.


    You treat your players right, if they're producing and excelling, you let them play.

    This notion that you can lose your job to an injury is going to manifest itself into a huge problem in San Francisco
    .
    I didn't know football was about being the nicest.

    Essentially, yes.

    Fans never get it wrong, do they?

    Waiting and watching.

    Alex didn't lose his job because he was injured, he was replaced by a better option at his position, because a team gets better, got better, and will continue to get better through improvement. It would be a problem if it were remotely true. Alex is owed nothing, in fact, he owes Harbaugh everything for making him attractive in any way shape or form before he moves on, because you can bet your butt had Harbaugh not picked him up before 2011, Alex would continue to be the laughing stock he was just prior to the 2011 season. My how minds are quick to forget.


    Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

    lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana


    Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

  14. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    4,634
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    How is letting a QB with the highest completion % in the NFL finish a season being nice?

    So because Jimmy boy thinks Colin > Smith, Colin must be the superior QB?

    O baby, look at those guns, those biceps, those legs, O YES BABY!!!

    Coaches never get it wrong right?

    Rex Ryan was pretty idolized his first two years in New York too, nothing he did could be wrong. Now he's the most hated guy in New York and everything he touches turns to poop.

    I'm not drinking the JH kool-aid.

    Once the tape gets out on CK, he'll be nothing more than a Cam Newton racking up stats and not winning. Just u wait n see.


    You treat your players right, if they're producing and excelling, you let them play.

    This notion that you can lose your job to an injury is going to manifest itself into a huge problem in San Francisco.
    You want to bring up stories from the past, how about Drew Bledsoe, top pick played EXCELLENT for years, brought his team to a super bowl, he got hurt and a guy named Tom Brady took over for good, how did that work out for Belichick and the Pats?? 3 SB bowls later, ya that really effect the moral of the team and the locker room.

    Your not drinking the JH koolaide? well good for you, notice this basically the same team that singletary had?? Must be a coincidence right? Alex Smith was one of the worst QB's of all time until JH got a hold of him and made him average, another coincidence i guess? Alex is average, his pocket presence is pathetic. He leads the league in comp% big f-ing deal most of his completions are dump offs because hes too scared in the pocket to go through his reads and rushes the ball out of his hands before WR deep routes develop. kaepernick has nothing in common with cam newton outside of his race and that they run. If you cant see the accuracy, accuracy on the run and the poise that Kaep has, i feel for you, because i dont know what F you've been watching every sunday.

    And finally because JH thinks Colin is the better QB he must be? ya absolutely, are you really trying to say you know more about these QBs than a former NFL QB and exceptional coach at every level hes been at?

    Get a clue or get lost


    “Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    troy, ny
    Posts
    296
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post
    Ultimately it's just your opinion. You like Alex as a person and as an athlete, fine. They don't pay you to be a nice guy when it comes to an NFL franchise. Execution is the most important thing, because winning is the only goal. You don't have to like it, just like I don't have to feel sorry for a guy making millions regardless of where he plays.

    You carry on like it was some great disservice to him, and if the only reason for giving you the most memorable games since 98 is Alex and not everything else the Niners are then you aren't a fan of the Niners at all, you are just an Alex fan. I don't claim to know you and I hate judging people in any way, but all the signs show that you aren't a true fan of the red and gold, because I can't possibly fathom how the loss of one player overwhelms the joy and drive of a playoff run. It's inconceivable to me.

    Do you not understand how professional sports, or even life itself for that matter work? The way you act about the switch makes it seem like life was always fair until that point.

    People make such a big deal out of this, it's not like they benched some great player for no reason. Just because you wanted Alex to play for the Niners forever doesn't mean everyone else did, or that it would even be logical, or in some way the best for the team.

    The bottom line is you have cried (metaphorically) about the switch since it happened, and I have yet to read any real reason to why it was the wrong decision, all I see from you are attachment issues.
    I don’t know Alex as a person but he seems cool. Clearly it was a disservice to him to bench him and to claim otherwise is foolish. If he doesn’t get a concussion he doesn’t lose his job because was playing very well before getting injured and getting better each week, that is a fact. It is also childish to claim that just because I pull for a player (on my favorite team) that I am not a Niners fan, but a fan of that player only which is not the case at all. Simply being a fan of a team is fine, but there are some players transcend attachment to a team based on their overcoming of challenges or other personal stories that you can relate to on a human level, how does that make me less of a fan exactly? I felt that way with Young (the monkey on the back), Garcia (obscurity), Hearst (horrific ankle injury), Rice (just being awesome) the list goes on. Also, why don’t we aspire to loyalty? There is something to be said for that. You stick with your guys through thick and thin, which is just what I believe. Apparently you don’t think an athlete deserves this courtesy however I guarantee you in whatever job you hold you believe different. Would you think you got screwed over if your boss gave your job away to someone when you got a hangnail just because they had slightly better handwriting? That is hypocritical.

    I also think that it is okay to call out your own team on what you believe was a poor personnel decision, or if they do something that runs contrary to your ethical standards. How the 49ers handled Alex Smith makes me cross on both of those levels. I am not crying about it like you say, but I am logically disappointed in them, which is a completely fair reaction.

    Facts matter and what I have seen of 49ers football the past two years is this: The Kaepernick-led Niners are the most complete team in the NFC. Here's another fact: The Smith-led Niners would also be the most complete team in the NFC. I would rather have the player who earned his job keep his job instead of the kid and that is my right.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •