Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdlr52192 View Post
    Interesting stat I saw on ESPN, Kaep was 20th in the league in completion percentage when facing 5+ rushing defenders (blitz), and it's funny considering who's first, Alex. I just thought it's funny because it seems like blitzing Kaep would be ideal for us since I figure he'd be more able to escape pressure and actually get the ball to someone...whether this be due to people maybe not blitzing Kaep as much to avoid him getting outside the pocket and ripping a big run or w/e, I just wanted to kinda gauge why this would be the case. Maybe the crap playcalling in between the Bears game and Pats game had something to do with it, idk...just wanted to ask
    Wow.

We'll see if he has ice in his veins this weekend.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    If you're not knocking the coaching staff, then what do you believe is the cause for the offense basically being **** in between Week 11 and Week 15? Or what about the Seahawks game, where Frank Gore didn't get touches even given the sloppy weather?

I like the staff we have, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they've shown to put the team in poor position to win some games they should've won this season, which I don't think was the case at all last season
    I hold the staff responsible, but also the players. Sure the playcalling can be questionable, but only so far do I question it really. Who knows why they choose what they choose or what CK sees or what the coaches see, and what gets audibled etc. It's easy to point a finger at one or two people, but things don't work out for a number of ways. Gore has been getting stopped alot lately and run team or not, our passing game is far from mediocre, so I don't understand the validity regarding that rationale. Harbaugh is too competitive a person for me to believe he doesn't put his best effort to put his team in the best possible position to win. Sometimes we are just going to be beat, and beat ugly. There is no perfect team in the NFL but to be honest if I had to put money on one team going undefeated in 2013-14 it would be the Niners without question, heck it was widely accepted we had the most talent and most complete team a year ago with alex and he was our weakness, we can only get better and more complete and more perfect, and the only reason I bring that up is because more than anything you just seem upset that we have lost those games, in the manner we lost them. Do you forget I was one of the only people preseason that predicted us doing the same or better as last season? I know you didn't rationally think we were going to go undefeated this year yet you seem so shocked and unsure because we dropped a couple games late into the season.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the goal going into the season was a title, and Harbaugh and co. will do their best at achieving that goal for us all, and we wouldn't be were we are as a team if they weren't doing a darn good job of that already. Another reason for my optimism is that I firmly believe they don't reveal a large portion of the playbook and defensive schemes until the playoffs anyway, Harbaugh is known to have a binder full of plays and info he always wanted to use in the SB long before he started coaching, I find it hard to believe someone like that would do otherwise. That's a big reason the playcalling discrepancies don't bother me too much.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    Interesting stat I saw on ESPN, Kaep was 20th in the league in completion percentage when facing 5+ rushing defenders (blitz), and it's funny considering who's first, Alex. I just thought it's funny because it seems like blitzing Kaep would be ideal for us since I figure he'd be more able to escape pressure and actually get the ball to someone...whether this be due to people maybe not blitzing Kaep as much to avoid him getting outside the pocket and ripping a big run or w/e, I just wanted to kinda gauge why this would be the case. Maybe the crap playcalling in between the Bears game and Pats game had something to do with it, idk...just wanted to ask
    Let's not forget the Oline has to execute.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post
    Agreed.

I agree on most here, except the score differing much with Alex, and your knocks on the coaching, nor do I believe in the hot team.

Alex won that game because the rest of the team put us in a position to lose the game in the first place. It was one of the best games in Niner history and one of his best performances ever - but it's still the exception and not the rule. Alex fans keep pointing at that game like it erases the rest of his career, there is only so much weight you can put on one game - any game.

What he did in one game does not change who he is as a QB, period.
    in most cases, i would agree with you on that. However, it almost seems like Smith can't be really held accountable for the first 6 years of his career. Why? It's a night and day comparison of coaching: Harbaugh compared to Nolan/Singletary.

So that one great game shouldn't be compared to the rest of his career in terms of trumping the rest of his career. What that game says is that the question should be HOW MANY of those great games would Smith have had in 7 years if he had Harbaugh and a great team around him like that since 2005. What he did in that one game shows what he could have been if he was blessed like Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers were blessed coming out of college. Sitting the bench for over a year, learning from a quality veteran, inheriting a great o-line/receivers/defense, proper coaching and tutelage, etc. That one game doesn't make me say "this game cancels out the rest of his career" because of the drastic difference between the 2007 49ers and the 2011 49ers. It makes me say "damn, i wonder how good Smith could have been if he was blessed to be in a great situation to grow and develop coming out of college the way Kaepernick and Aaron Rodgers were blessed"
    Last edited by tapajafri; 01-10-2013 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    For one, I have always said no QB could survive the coordinator debacle Alex went through, but it would still be irresponsible to say that Alex is who he is not, or can do what he could not before ,because of the Saints game. It still doesn't change who he is as a QB, and who he is as a QB is who Harbaugh intended to replace eventually. That's what some people don't understand, Alex wasn't going to win his job in a long term way in the eyes of Harbaugh ever, I guess in a way he was just never good enough, despite his brief flash of greatness in the Saints game, and his overall outstanding execution day in and day out. We got the best out of him, that's what Harbaugh wanted, and everyone's happy.

Second, I agree that I think of what could have been, been those are just hypotheticals and we can woulda-coulda ourselves to death, it ultimately changes nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post
    I hold the staff responsible, but also the players. Sure the playcalling can be questionable, but only so far do I question it really. Who knows why they choose what they choose or what CK sees or what the coaches see, and what gets audibled etc. It's easy to point a finger at one or two people, but things don't work out for a number of ways. Gore has been getting stopped alot lately and run team or not, our passing game is far from mediocre, so I don't understand the validity regarding that rationale. Harbaugh is too competitive a person for me to believe he doesn't put his best effort to put his team in the best possible position to win. Sometimes we are just going to be beat, and beat ugly. There is no perfect team in the NFL but to be honest if I had to put money on one team going undefeated in 2013-14 it would be the Niners without question, heck it was widely accepted we had the most talent and most complete team a year ago with alex and he was our weakness, we can only get better and more complete and more perfect, and the only reason I bring that up is because more than anything you just seem upset that we have lost those games, in the manner we lost them. Do you forget I was one of the only people preseason that predicted us doing the same or better as last season? I know you didn't rationally think we were going to go undefeated this year yet you seem so shocked and unsure because we dropped a couple games late into the season.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that the goal going into the season was a title, and Harbaugh and co. will do their best at achieving that goal for us all, and we wouldn't be were we are as a team if they weren't doing a darn good job of that already. Another reason for my optimism is that I firmly believe they don't reveal a large portion of the playbook and defensive schemes until the playoffs anyway, Harbaugh is known to have a binder full of plays and info he always wanted to use in the SB long before he started coaching, I find it hard to believe someone like that would do otherwise. That's a big reason the playcalling discrepancies don't bother me too much.
    I always kinda had that thought in the back of my mind, but I was always about as cautiously optimistic with that as I possibly could haha...I really hope so because I know that when they want, this offense can do so many things formation wise and it's awesome to see some of the really creative playcalls, it's more or less just getting away from the run and not utilizing Kaep for the deep ball, since that's part of the reason the switch was made I think...I have some concern at this point, but I know if they do what they can do as a coaching staff, then I have zero worry. I understand and am grateful for what they've done to revive the franchise, but they're still not beyond criticism lol

Soon...

vCash
    You know what you're getting with Alex Smith? I doubt it, Smith was poised to have a 3500 yard season and 25+ TD before he got stripped of the job.

Just because he's been in the league for a while doesn't mean he's hit his stride and what we see is the best we're going to get. Because he's not a rookie he must have hit his potential? Please, you're an idiot if you believe that. The constant progression we've seen from Alex Smith since JH took over indicates NOTHING of Smith hitting his "ceiling". He was getting better in every aspect of his game, culminating with a record setting game versus ARZ, continuing into his last game versus STL before the concussion.

Everyone says they know what they're getting with Alex Smith. But I beg to differ. Every statistical fact points to an increasing trend since JH took over. You obviously never watch sports, because believe me, players get better as they age. If not physically, at the very least mentally.

Here's another food for thought.

Alex Smith has 8 years of video tapes against him. He had a 20-5 record despite this.

Colin has no tapes of him. I would personally attribute some of his early success to the fact that teams such as the Bears, Saints, and Patriots game planned COMPLETELY wrong versus Colin.

Everyone thought Colin? Wildcat, Pistol. Stop the scramble, stop the run, we win. Teams were too busy stacking the box stuffing Frank, devoting an extra defender to "spy" on the Colin scramble that he was able to burn them with the long balls.

Teams have caught on (good teams at least). This was rather evident in the Seattle game. They took away his deep routes and forced Colin to play smart "dink n dive, Alex Smith style football", and he looked like a complete joke out there.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again. Colin, as of now, is nothing more than a shot in the arm for this team. He's doing decent because nobody has the book on him. They were expecting a Pistol, Read Option, Run first; and all the teams that game planned like this got burned. The teams that made Colin play smart football (not street football) totally rendered him useless.

He lost a game in STL, when our defense allowed 3 points in regulation.

He looked like a complete fool in Seattle.

Call it beginners luck if you will, but once the book gets out on Colin (take away the deep balls), he's finished. There's evidence of this happening in Seattle; and you betcha Green Bay is looking at the film.

Make Colin beat you by constantly moving the chains, and you have a ticket to the NCFCG, Green Bay.

vCash
    @ mdlr Fair enough lol. It just gets frustrating when it seems people take for granted or don't realize just how much potential this team has.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nutty View Post
    Saints fans could probably say "if we didn't blitz on that one play" then the big VD play doesn't happen. Therefore the Saints could have lost that game as much as you think Alex won it.
    Its not like VD was wide open in the endzone. Alex made a fantastic throw, threaded 2 defenders to a spot where VD was suppose to be and he was. Not sure you take anything away from that play.

vCash
    Potential? How do you quantify potential? Who has the bigger biceps and arm strength?

To succeed in the NFL as a QB, you need to play from the shoulders up; not the shoulders down.

What separates the top flight QBs from the middle of the pack QBs isn't arm strength, the ability to scramble. It's how they mentally approach the game.

Colin throwing back to back deep side interceptions in the end zone? Mental mistakes.

Dig this guy in a hole, and he'll unrattle like a monkey. He looks very comfortable playing with the lead (and he's able to get it with unsuspecting defenses); but put him in a 7 point deficit and he's rattled.

I'd love for the 49ers to win on Saturday.

But I promise you this, if any anytime the lead is Green Bay over 7, we're finished.

Better hope to get out in front. This guy hasn't seen any adversity in his NFL career; the first sign of trouble and he's done.

Everything goes well when we're smooth sailing. But when we're down, the ship is going to sink.

At least with Alex Smith, you know you have someone back there who can bring you back from a deficit.

With CK, if he's behind by 7+ points; he'll start to unrattle. Just look at Seattle, pounding his helmet and looking like a 12 year old girl who's boyfriend dumped her in 2nd period English.

vCash
    Exactly what I think of the situation. Look, I'm not saying that Kaepernick is going to suck in 2 years. Nobody knows. I concede that he's the future at the position and I'll be on the bandwagon when he does take over, but I just don't think that time is now. Not in a year where people had the Niners are Super Bowl favorites WITH Alex Smith. Kaep has the ability to win more games with his arm than Alex. I'd agree with that, but he also has the ability to lose games with his arm, which is something Alex hasn't done often since JH took over, if at all. Last season, there was a big hype around Cam Newton during his rookie year. With a season's worth of tape and planning, Newton struggled in his sophomore season and I can see that happening with Kaepernick. Its whether he's possesses the football smarts to overcome it, which I don't think Cam has and I'm not sure Colin does either.

vCash
    I can see the real positive fans are coming out in anticipation of a loss
    Loading up on "I was right and JH was wrong" ammo now while they can.

Brandon Coleman Watch
    WR Rutgers University 6'6" 220 lbs
    2011: Rec: 17 Yards: 552 Avg: 32.5 TD: 6
    2012: Rec: 43 Yards: 718 Avg: 16.7 TD: 10
    2013: Rec: 28 Yards: 403 Avg: 14.4 TD: 3
    Plays with one of the worst QBs in college football...SMH

vCash
    This season was Superbowl appearance or bust with Alex Smith under center.

How did that suddenly change with Colin under center?

This change was the wrong move at the wrong time.

You plan for the future in the off season, not in the middle of one.

There should be one goal in the middle of the season (unless you're below .500) and that is to win, and win now.

It wasn't like Colin was going to high tail his peruvian butt on the next bus to Arizona if he didn't get the job this year.

I'm just saying, if the season was Superbowl appearance or bust with Alex Smith, then the season should be Superbowl appearance or bust with Colin Kaepernick.

In the words in Jim Harbaugh, "You're either getting better, or you're getting worse. You never stay the same."

Superbowl appearance or bust.

vCash
    There's no easy ride to the Superbowl.

You're going to face adversity trying to get there. Playoffs and Superbowls are won with heart, determination, and the ability to make overcome adversity.

Colin never trailed in a game in his life and won.

I sincerely doubt he won't get just a "little bit antsy" and look for those deep balls if we're down by 7+.

I can game plan for Green Bay right now.

Keys to the Game for Green Bay:
    1. Shut down the deep ball
    2. Get one early touchdown
    3. Shut down the deep ball (even more effective now that it's the only thing Colin's rookie eyes are going to be looking for)

I just don't see us winning a nail biter close game. It's either we take a big lead early, or we lose.

Colin doesn't have the mental make-up as of now to lead this team in a tight game and pull out a victory.

The Seattle game shows me all I need to see. The confused, lost, deer in headlights look we saw that game was all I need to see in our Colin reacts to adversity.

Playoffs are full of adversities. Nobody is going to sail through and coast. Every team still in it is a good football team that knows how to keep it close.

Who do you feel more confident in running a 2 minute no huddle with the game on the line? Because more often than not, playoff games come down to the wire, and we're going to need someone with poise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotation View Post
    This season was Superbowl appearance or bust with Alex Smith under center.

How did that suddenly change with Colin under center?

This change was the wrong move at the wrong time.

You plan for the future in the off season, not in the middle of one.

There should be one goal in the middle of the season (unless you're below .500) and that is to win, and win now.

It wasn't like Colin was going to high tail his peruvian butt on the next bus to Arizona if he didn't get the job this year.

I'm just saying, if the season was Superbowl appearance or bust with Alex Smith, then the season should be Superbowl appearance or bust with Colin Kaepernick.

In the words in Jim Harbaugh, "You're either getting better, or you're getting worse. You never stay the same."

Superbowl appearance or bust.
    It didn't change. With either QB its SB or nothing. The change being right is debatable. If the coaching staff believed that Smith was the better option, he would have been reinserted into the lineup the day he was healthy. Perhaps Harbaugh is living by his words that you quoted, as he believes Kap is the option to "get better" now, mid season. The fact that a team is willing to make an unheard of switch like this has to say something about the player, that we as fans just can't understand, else we'd be team employees somewhere.

Brandon Coleman Watch
    WR Rutgers University 6'6" 220 lbs
    2011: Rec: 17 Yards: 552 Avg: 32.5 TD: 6
    2012: Rec: 43 Yards: 718 Avg: 16.7 TD: 10
    2013: Rec: 28 Yards: 403 Avg: 14.4 TD: 3
    Plays with one of the worst QBs in college football...SMH

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast