Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Post Mike Gonzalez thinks Brewers can win

Gonzalez thinks Brewers can win
    By Tom Haudricourt of the Journal Sentinel
    Jan. 8, 2013

Michael Gonzalez faced the Brewers only three times last season but they made an impression on him.

"They had a good-looking ball club and it seemed like a great group of guys," said the veteran left-handed reliever. "I'm excited about playing with them. I'm confident we'll have a chance to get it done. That was a big reason I signed with the Brewers."

Gonzalez will get the chance to see what the Brewers can do after signing a free-agent deal for $2.25 million for 2013. Gonzalez pitched last year for Washington, as did previous Brewers free-agent signee Tom Gorzelanny, another lefty reliever.

"That's great to be back with 'Gorzo,'" said Gonzalez, who had a 3.03 ERA in 47 appearances with the Nationals last year, holding left-handed hitters to a .179 batting average. "He's a good dude and when he's out there on the mound, he's going to do what it takes to win. And he's a great clubhouse guy."

When Gonzalez was talking with Brewers general manager Doug Melvin, he learned that Melvin tried to sign him as a free agent three years earlier. Instead, Gonzalez signed a two-year deal with Baltimore.

"I can tell you one thing. He was aggressive with me this time," said Gonzalez. "That's a great feeling when somebody really wants you."

Gonzalez, who was a closer earlier in his career, was set back in recent years by shoulder and knee injuries but overcame them and made an impact with Washington, in a good bullpen. He said he's completely healthy now and at age 34 still excited about getting the ball in late innings when games are on the line.

"There's no greater rush than being out there in those situations," he said. "I love being out there. And I always seem to do well in those situations.

"When I'm healthy, I've always pitched well. I've gained experience over the years and learned how to pitch. When I was younger, I was more of a thrower out there. I feel like I've evolved since then."

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    I feel like If Gonzalez and Gorzo can both pitch like they did last year we are going to have a good bullpen. I'm still nervous about Axford regaining his composure and Henderson repeating what he did, but overall Melvin has done a good job. Now if Escobar can play at an above average level and one or two young guys (maybe Bradley) can make the club we are going to have a very good bullpen. I would like to see one more middle relief guy brought in though.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    I'm hoping Axford pitching in the WBC gets him in the right state of mind.

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behnke2017 View Post
    I'm hoping Axford pitching in the WBC gets him in the right state of mind.
    Or the five million that he got in arbitration today.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.