Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who is the Mets #5 Prospect for 2013?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Luis Mateo

0 0%
  • Rafael Montero

1 3.57%
  • Cory Mazzoni

0 0%
  • Hansel Robles

0 0%
  • Wilmer Flores

19 67.86%
  • Brandon Nimmo

6 21.43%
  • Gavin Cecchini

0 0%
  • Jeurys Familia

0 0%
  • Michael Fulmer

2 7.14%
  • Domingo Tapia

0 0%
  • Amed Rosario

0 0%
  • Cesar Puello

0 0%
  • Aderlin Rodriguez

0 0%
  • Darin Gorski

0 0%
  • Collin McHugh

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Fulmer sits 92-93 and tops out at 95 mph.

Fernandez sits at 95-96 and tops out at 99 mph. Fernandez does not need to add more velocity.

...and Fulmer has a long ways to fit that definition, but again not one of his pitches is dominant or has the potential to be dominant or plus plus, while they could and may be above average when is all said and done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY_Heartbreak View Post
    I don't know, Sick. Even in the Mets prospects listing thread, most of the analyses have Fulmer in the top 10 or top 5 Mets prospects, and say he has top of the rotation make up and potential.
    They do have him on the top 10 prospects for sure and nobody is saying he should not be and while yes some guys do think he may be a front of the rotation guy, imo that is a pie in the sky dream.

Sickels also thinks he is a mid rotation guy, baseball america has him as a #3 at best, Jason Parks of baseball prospectus has him as a #3 guy as well.

vCash
    ...and yes I know some reports have him hitting 97 mph, but what I got from guys that saw him pitch numerous times is that he sits around 92-94 and I remember that as well from reports during the season when he pitched those days.

BTW I love Fulmer and have him as the Mets #3 best pitching prospect ahead of Tapia who I really love.

Tapia does have a dominant pitch btw, though obviously his secondaries and pitchability are not as good as Fulmer's.
    Last edited by Sick Of It All; 01-09-2013 at 10:57 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post

Fernandez sits at 95-96 and tops out at 99 mph. Fernandez does not need to add more velocity.

...and Fulmer has a long ways to fit that definition, but again not one of his pitches is dominant or has the potential to be dominant or plus plus, while they could and may be above average when is all said and done.
    Toby watches more games than anybody. I'll take his word for it that he's 93-95 MPH now. Toby did say when he saw him in 2011, he was sitting 92-94 MPH. With an off-season of professional instruction, it's not inconceivable that he gained that extra tick on his fastball. It's legit plus pitch.

He's got room to grow. He's turning 20 in March, he can continue to add strength to his frame and improve on his secondaries and command further.

I have no problems with Flores being ranked ahead, but there's no doubt in my mind that Fulmer is the next best prospect.

vCash
    I went with Flores. He's pretty close to the majors and has started to tap into his power potential.

I'm a big fan of Fulmer and I believe he can be a starting pitcher long term, but he still needs to work on his change up. I've always looked at Fulmer's ceiling as a number 2 or 3 and I stand by that. I was very impressed with his season last year as a teenager in a full season league.

vCash
    I wonder how many people look at the results before they vote? lol.

This isn't unanimous imo.

vCash
    Fulmer dominating A ball at 19 is impressive and he still has time to harness his stuff and develop it further.

Saying that, with a kid that young its really hard to evaluate where they will be in 3 years as you don't know how they will transition as they continue to progress.

The stuff is there and he looks like he has a future in the major leagues as a SP but i can't get too excited about him quite yet.

I think with Flores he just becomes our most valuable trade chip as he continues through the minor leagues.

Someone is gonna pay for a 3rd baseman who will put up crazy numbers in the PCL even if the prevailing thought is how hitter friendly those parks are.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-09-2013 at 11:30 PM.

vCash
    Flores is likely to be a legit major league bat at this point. He gets the nod here.

Everyone else in consideration is simply too far from the majors IMO, and there's no clearly elite prospect among them to trump a guy like Flores.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post

Toby watches more games than anybody. I'll take his word for it that he's 93-95 MPH now. Toby did say when he saw him in 2011, he was sitting 92-94 MPH. With an off-season of professional instruction, it's not inconceivable that he gained that extra tick on his fastball. It's legit plus pitch.

He's got room to grow. He's turning 20 in March, he can continue to add strength to his frame and improve on his secondaries and command further.

I have no problems with Flores being ranked ahead, but there's no doubt in my mind that Fulmer is the next best prospect.
    exactly Toby was one of the guys that tweeted how Fulmer was 92-94 when he pitched and hit 95 a couple I times. It was not like he hit 95 most of the time.

Also that is the thing with Fulmer he has very little if no room to grow, hence why he has very little projection is none left in him.

vCash
    exactly Toby was one of the guys that tweeted how Fulmer was 92-94 when he pitched and hit 95 a couple I times. It was not like he hit 95 most of the time.

Also that is the thing with Fulmer he has very little if no room to grow, hence why he has very little projection is none left in him.
    No. He said that about him in 2011 when he saw him briefly in the GCL.

When Toby was reviewing his list from last year he said Fulmer was 93-95 MPH with his fastball, and that is more than enough for a plus pitch.

Fulmer doesn't need to grow, he can continue to make his body stronger as he ages. His stuff is already very good, he just needs to continue improving his change and command.

vCash

2013 PSD Mets Forum #5 Mets Prospect

Do you even realize that the difference between 92-94 and 93-95 is basically nothing?

Like I said he hit 95, but it was not like he sat there most of the time. 93-94 is where he was mostly at.

And projection goes with a guys build and room to grow into his body, Fulmer at 6'2" and 200 pounds does not have room to grow into his frame that is why there is no projection left in him.

vCash
    I think there is a significant difference between averaging 93 and 94 MPH on your fastball.

Fulmer is 6'3" not 6'2" and he's still not fully developed. You don't max out physically at 19 years old. He certainly has less projection than others his age, but he doesn't have none at all.

vCash
    I'm struggling between Flores and Nimmo.

Flores on one hand has legit bat, and as a 3rd baseman it should be enough. He has the arm and hands to play there.

Nimmo is a Nick Markakis type of player, an above average ball player but right now not a star.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash

2013 PSD Mets Forum #5 Mets Prospect

Lol at significant difference between 93 and 94.

vCash
    Lol at significant difference between 93 and 94.
    I'm talking on average velocity. An extra average 1 MPH can make a difference in a game of milliseconds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast