Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Chud interviewing for Cleveland Browns HC job

http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/...-position.html

As inconsistent as Chud was this year, I'd hate to see him leave. That being said, he's probably going to have a legit shot at the job, since he coached there for a few years and the last time the Browns scared anyone was when he was the OC. If he leaves, I imagine that Derick Anderson goes with him.

I wonder if Norv Turner would be an option as replacement OC if Chud goes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    http://blogs.charlotte.com/panthers/...-position.html

As inconsistent as Chud was this year, I'd hate to see him leave. That being said, he's probably going to have a legit shot at the job, since he coached there for a few years and the last time the Browns scared anyone was when he was the OC. If he leaves, I imagine that Derick Anderson goes with him.

I wonder if Norv Turner would be an option as replacement OC if Chud goes.
    I find that assessment probable on all accounts. I'd think Norv would have to be a front-runner for OC if Chud gets the job. Whis might be another one.

vCash
    I won't cry if he goes. He's too football-smart for his own good, sometimes. If we hired Norv, I would forget all about him. Don't forget Norv's son is our OQC assistant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    I won't cry if he goes. He's too football-smart for his own good, sometimes. If we hired Norv, I would forget all about him. Don't forget Norv's son is our OQC assistant.
    So true. Rivera's job to keep him reigned in.

vCash
    Chud's A-game is as good as any other OC, but he just doesn't know when to stop with the 'innovation'. I think it was against the Cowboys (or one of the games played around that time that we lost by a small margin), we just had a nice pass on 2nd and 10 to set up 3rd and 2 or something, but he chose to do a trick play where Cam ran to the right side and then threw the ball across his chest to the far left to Olsen. It was an interesting play, but on 3rd and 2, stick to the stuff that works.

vCash
    Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport
    Panthers OC Rob Chudzinski will be the next head coach of the Cleveland Browns, per league source. Browns have not confirmed yet.
    Chud is certainly better than OCs we've had in years past, but he's replaceable. Not as horrible as a loss as it seemed like last season. He's a great football mind, but I don't think he's a great play-caller.

vCash
    If we promote Mike Shula though, Rivera's fate is sealed. He'll be gone after next year.

vCash
    Mort said on ESPN that although the Browns would like to bring in Norv, connecting the dots, he said that Norv to Carolina to call plays here would be a strong possibility. We shall see.

vCash
    Disheartening but not devastating. It's probably the right move for Chud, so best of luck to him. This team will survive without him. I don't think Shula gets the nod for OC, but I think he'll go through the interview process. Norv Turner wouldn't be bad, but he prioritizes the type of big WRs that we don't really have here. Not the end of the world, but I don't think Armanti Edwards or Kealoha Pilares develop to their full potential with Norv. Would like to see Whisenhunt get an interview.

vCash
    Whiz would be a great hire, but it might be tough to pull him into an unstable staff, considering he doesn't have any prior experience coaching with Rivera (I don't think).

vCash
    I'm somewhat disappointed to see this happen this year. I don't think any of us know how close Cam is with Chud, or what impact it will have on Cam. I think what we've seen of Cam is mostly Cam's talents, but Derick Anderson plays like a Pro Bowler in Chud's systems, so I'd be lying if I didn't say that was bothering me a bit.

I wonder how this will change our system. I've read where people have said we should get Martz, and I think that's the stupidest move we could ever make. I hope the new coordinator (possibly Turner) will run a similar offense, only better running plays. I'm also not really ready to see the team completely drop the option run. The amount we ran the option over the last few games was almost the perfect dosage to be successful in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Disheartening but not devastating. It's probably the right move for Chud, so best of luck to him. This team will survive without him. I don't think Shula gets the nod for OC, but I think he'll go through the interview process. Norv Turner wouldn't be bad, but he prioritizes the type of big WRs that we don't really have here. Not the end of the world, but I don't think Armanti Edwards or Kealoha Pilares develop to their full potential with Norv. Would like to see Whisenhunt get an interview.
    I'd love to see Pilares become a big threat in the slot, but I really would prefer Carolina to get a big, physical WR when Smitty's ready to be replaced. During the 2010 season, I was pretty excited about the possibility of having a declining Smitty in the slot, 6'2" LaFell as the #2, and 6'3" Gettis as our #1 WR at some point down the road. Obviously one of those things (Gettis) doesn't appear to be looking so likely.

Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Whiz would be a great hire, but it might be tough to pull him into an unstable staff, considering he doesn't have any prior experience coaching with Rivera (I don't think).
    I don't think I'd want Whiz unless we're expecting RR to fail. I fully expect Whiz to have another HC job very soon, considering he did a pretty decent job in ARZ with a garbage offense (minus the Warner years). He'd just end up leaving in a year or so. At least with Norv we'd probably have him as long as he's performing given his short-comings with SD.

Is the SD offense that they've ran since he's been HC basically what he'd try to run with us, or would he try to use some of the athletic plays in our playbook with Cam as well? Also, would he be likely to use the 2TE set like we did in 2011? And would we be a pass-first team, balanced, or run-heavy?

vCash
    I'd love to see Pilares become a big threat in the slot, but I really would prefer Carolina to get a big, physical WR when Smitty's ready to be replaced. During the 2010 season, I was pretty excited about the possibility of having a declining Smitty in the slot, 6'2" LaFell as the #2, and 6'3" Gettis as our #1 WR at some point down the road. Obviously one of those things (Gettis) doesn't appear to be looking so likely.
    Yes.

I don't think I'd want Whiz unless we're expecting RR to fail. I fully expect Whiz to have another HC job very soon, considering he did a pretty decent job in ARZ with a garbage offense (minus the Warner years). He'd just end up leaving in a year or so. At least with Norv we'd probably have him as long as he's performing given his short-comings with SD.

Is the SD offense that they've ran since he's been HC basically what he'd try to run with us, or would he try to use some of the athletic plays in our playbook with Cam as well? Also, would he be likely to use the 2TE set like we did in 2011? And would we be a pass-first team, balanced, or run-heavy?
    I don't think Whiz would be bad. The tricky situation with him is if you want him to be an option for next year (HC or OC), you basically have to hire him now. Of course, if you do hire him now and he leaves next year, you're right back in the same boat. But that's going to be a risk with any OC that has HC experience.

I'm not terribly familiar with the SD playbook, but their offense was typically a downfield kind of system that, again, emphasizes big WRs and the TE. I would expect him to run more traditional running plays than Chud did earlier in the year, for whatever that's worth. I think it'd be a solid hire, but you're looking at a risk that he gets hired away as a HC next year.

The most satisfying way of looking at it is if our OC (or DC) is being looked at for HC positions, it means we're doing something right. So that's a positive, I guess.

vCash
    I wonder how this will change our system. I've read where people have said we should get Martz, and I think that's the stupidest move we could ever make. I hope the new coordinator (possibly Turner) will run a similar offense, only better running plays. I'm also not really ready to see the team completely drop the option run. The amount we ran the option over the last few games was almost the perfect dosage to be successful in the NFL.

After looking through San Diego's offenses history since Brees was their QB, I think he would run a balance offenses with the personnel we have. While Tomlinson was in his prime their offense was pretty balanced and even favored running some of those years. While I get the feels he may prefer to air it out, I'm confident that he'll be smart enough to play to the strengths of his personnel.

I also hope that whoever is the new OC keeps the option run, and uses it similarly to how Chud did in the last few games of last season. Turner is my first choice, but in the end I think it will probably come down to his personal relationships with Chud and Rivera, as well as his family.

I also think the Panthers should take a good look at Mike Mularkey for OC.
    Last edited by Puck017; 01-11-2013 at 12:16 PM.

vCash
    I'm somewhat disappointed to see this happen this year. I don't think any of us know how close Cam is with Chud, or what impact it will have on Cam. I think what we've seen of Cam is mostly Cam's talents, but Derick Anderson plays like a Pro Bowler in Chud's systems, so I'd be lying if I didn't say that was bothering me a bit.

Well, I do expect Rivera to fail, so...I'll take Whiz if we can get him. But I don't think we can with so much instability unless he's interested in keeping that spot warm for a year and getting a HC interview here next season.

With Norv, you would probably see a lot of the same principles. Downfield passing game, good usage of TEs downfield and RBs out of the backfield. It might be a little more of a traditional NFL offense (and it might not be), but I think it would look very similar regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Puck017 View Post
    After looking through San Diego's offenses history since Brees was their QB, I think he would run a balance offenses with the personnel we have. While Tomlinson was in his prime their offense was pretty balanced and even favored running some of those years. While I get the feels he may prefer to air it out, I'm confident that he'll be smart enough to play to the strengths of his personnel.

I also hope that whoever is the new OC keeps the option run, and uses it similarly to how Chud did in the last few games of last season. Turner is my first choice, but in the end I think it will probably come down to his personal relationships with Chud and Rivera, as well as his family.

I also think the Panthers should take a good look at Mike Mularkey for OC.
    Mularkey would be a disaster. Way too conservative for Cam. He got too conservative for Matt Ryan even.

vCash
    Yeah, I definitely don't want Mularkey. Maybe if we had a rookie who needed help, but I don't think that's the case. I think we have good enough personnel that if we fix the OL it might not matter who the OC is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast