Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Would be worth the look, but other teams are going to be able to pay more than we would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    Would be worth the look, but other teams are going to be able to pay more than we would.
    I don't know, we'll see. I have a feeling that the guaranteed money won't be very high, after all, this guy comes along with some serious medical risk seeing how he's already had a heart attack at his very young age.

vCash
    Looks like the Pats signed Armond Armstead. His deal was very reasonable and I am disappointed we didnt try to get him at that price when we need help at DT.

Updating an earlier item, DT Armond Armstead's deal with the Patriots is for three years and $1.49 million, and includes $655,000 guaranteed.
    It's a strong sign the Patriots expect the former CFL and USC product to crack their 53-man roster. Just 22 years old, Armstead spent 2012 in the CFL after suffering a heart attack and missing USC's 2011 season. An imposing 6-foot-5, 290 pounds, Armstead was a two-year starter for the Trojans before his health scare. He has experience at both tackle and end.
    Source: ESPN Boston
    Jan 23 - 6:23 PM

vCash
    I won't say I don't care who we draft but we never get who I want so I am just going to sit back and let it unfold and hope we get a good player.

vCash
    As much as I hate to say it, this is the year we need to take a WR in round 1/2. Smitty's got twoish seasons as a #1 option if we're lucky, and that is around the time it would take this year's prospects to get the hang of things. If Smitty were to retire today we'd be screwed in the receiver's department, because LaFell is not ready to be a #1 option and we have no other reliable WR.

Based on the Giants draft history, it looks even more probably given that they took several WRs with their top picks over the years. The only problem with it this year is our lack of a 3rd rounder and our need for RT and NT.

My ideal scenario: We trade back to 25ish in the first and pick up another 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder and take (hopefully) Corderelle Patterson with the 1st, then take BPA OT and DT with our two second rounders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, this is the year we need to take a WR in round 1/2. Smitty's got twoish seasons as a #1 option if we're lucky, and that is around the time it would take this year's prospects to get the hang of things. If Smitty were to retire today we'd be screwed in the receiver's department, because LaFell is not ready to be a #1 option and we have no other reliable WR.

Based on the Giants draft history, it looks even more probably given that they took several WRs with their top picks over the years. The only problem with it this year is our lack of a 3rd rounder and our need for RT and NT.

My ideal scenario: We trade back to 25ish in the first and pick up another 2nd rounder/early 3rd rounder and take (hopefully) Corderelle Patterson with the 1st, then take BPA OT and DT with our two second rounders.
    A few problems with this:

1. As you noted, we have bigger needs (OT, NT).
    2. We have some promising young WRs (5+ to be exact). There are those who think Pilares could fill in for Smith in a year or two. (I may or may not be among them.)
    3. I wouldn't assume that we're going to draft like the Giants; Gettleman had little to no role in their drafts.
    4. In two years, I would expect Newton to make any WR he's throwing to look good.
    5. We also need to find a S in the draft (I don't think we'll have enough cap room for free agency).
    6. CB could also be a need, unless you're sold on Josh Thomas.
    7. Getting a solid, contributing WR in later rounds is doable (not so much with OTs and NTs).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N.E.PanthersFan View Post
    A few problems with this:

1. As you noted, we have bigger needs (OT, NT).
    2. We have some promising young WRs (5+ to be exact). There are those who think Pilares could fill in for Smith in a year or two. (I may or may not be among them.)
    3. I wouldn't assume that we're going to draft like the Giants; Gettleman had little to no role in their drafts.
    4. In two years, I would expect Newton to make any WR he's throwing to look good.
    5. We also need to find a S in the draft (I don't think we'll have enough cap room for free agency).
    6. CB could also be a need, unless you're sold on Josh Thomas.
    7. Getting a solid, contributing WR in later rounds is doable (not so much with OTs and NTs).
    1. I agree with this, but I'm also a fan of taking BPA that fits any need, which could very well be a WR. I don't want to see us reach for a prospect that isn't worth our pick.
    2. We do have some young WRs, but none of them are as promising as a potential #1 WR. LaFell is doing well, but doesn't look to be anything more than a good #2, Gettis can't get on the field and might be cut, Murphey hasn't shown consistency, Adams (while only a second year player) doesn't look to be anything more than a slot receiver, and while I really like Pilaris, he also looks like he'll be a slot receiver. As much as I'd love to think we could find another Steve Smith situation (everyone thinks he'll only be a slot/KR guy and he turns to be one of the best), it's hard to say I've seen anything that would make me think it.
    3. True. They're different teams, but it is a need and would help Newton (thought not as much as an OT).
    4. That would be awesome, but it's not something to take to the bank. Newton already does this to some degree (mostly with his dual-threat ability), but not in a Peyton Manning/Tom Brady kind of way.
    5. S can be found very late as well. Or we could opt to get a S with our first two picks, just like WR. But I think WR is a better pick with round 1 than S if a worthy OT/NT/CB isn't there.
    6. I think CB needs to be addressed some how, but considering how the team was performing without Gamble and with young players last season, I'm not that concerned.
    7. Yeah, it's possible to find a 'contributing' WR, but it's not likely you'll find a real difference maker, whereas the potential of the top WRs in the draft could be the next awesome WR.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't draft a WR high this year, but if we plan to do it, this year would make a lot of sense. The unfortunate facts are we probably aren't in position to get Joeckel, Fisher, Milliner, or Banks, and our best possibility is Hankins who also isn't expected to fall to us without a miracle. Assuming all of those players are gone, I'd much rather see us trade back than reach on a player at 14. If we trade back and a worthy OT/NT/CB isn't at that pick either, but a WR like Cordarelle Patterson is, then I think we take him. We'd have picked up 2nd or 3rd rounder in the trade back anyway, so we'd have an extra pick.

Of course, this will all change after the combine, whether that means a player falls to us, or a potential later player surges towards us. And we still have the off-season to figure out if we'll obtain more picks via trades, and also what players we'll have after restructures/cuts.

vCash
    havent heard much but how is beason doing? what is his situation with the team with kuechly looking like a staple at middle linebacker for the next 10+ years?

NFL: Denver Broncos
    MLB: St. Louis Cardinals
    NHL: St. Louis Blues
    NBA: Chicago Bulls
    NCAAF: Iowa Hawkeyes
    NCAAB: Iowa Hawkeyes
    EPL: Chelsea Football Club
    FIFA: Deutschland and USA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    havent heard much but how is beason doing? what is his situation with the team with kuechly looking like a staple at middle linebacker for the next 10+ years?
    Not sure how his rehab is coming along, but he's expected to play OLB next year if he agrees to restructure his contract. It sounds like this is something he is willing to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Not sure how his rehab is coming along, but he's expected to play OLB next year if he agrees to restructure his contract. It sounds like this is something he is willing to do.
    i am really hoping my broncos make a run at him and reunite him with john fox. he could do some damage for us at mike.

NFL: Denver Broncos
    MLB: St. Louis Cardinals
    NHL: St. Louis Blues
    NBA: Chicago Bulls
    NCAAF: Iowa Hawkeyes
    NCAAB: Iowa Hawkeyes
    EPL: Chelsea Football Club
    FIFA: Deutschland and USA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Cyanide 28 View Post
    i am really hoping my broncos make a run at him and reunite him with john fox. he could do some damage for us at mike.
    If Beason opts to not restructure, then I'd love to see him go elsewhere for a 2nd. What would you (hypothetically obviously) give for Beason if you were in the Broncos FO's shoes? Being a long time fan may have my opinion of him skewed, but when healthy he plays like a top 5-10 MLB/ILB.

vCash
    I'd love to trade Beason for a 2nd.

On a LB note: Jarvis Jones might fall into the 2nd round at the rate he's going. Despite our needs if he was there at our 2nd (let alone our 1st) i would have serious trouble not taking him. He's an absolute freak. If we got Fisher, Lane or especially Hankins with our 1st and Jones was there at 2nd I'd snatch him up. Our front 7 would be amazing.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Draft Warmack if he is there. Get a WR in the second

vCash
    Wouldn't hate Warmack, would be pissed at a WR with either pick.

LaFell has done everything he needs to, Smitty is still a top receiver and has shown ZERO signs of decline, and we have several other young options that have shown good promise at times.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatMustachio1 View Post
    Draft Warmack if he is there. Get a WR in the second
    Warmack will be an immediate starter and would give us a solid interior OL for years to come, but the only way I want Warmack is if we trade back in round 1 to get him and pick up a 2nd or 3rd rounder, plus pick up an OT with one of those other picks. Having a solid LG-C-RG would be great, but having an aging Gross at LT and a so-far not so great Bell at RT needs to be addressed some time, and probably this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    Wouldn't hate Warmack, would be pissed at a WR with either pick.

LaFell has done everything he needs to, Smitty is still a top receiver and has shown ZERO signs of decline, and we have several other young options that have shown good promise at times.
    LaFell is looking to be a solid #2 for this team, but I don't see him projecting to a #1 ever. Smitty HAS shown signs of decline, but even with his slight decline he's still playing like a top 10 WR. It's hard to acknowledge, but if you watch him play, he doesn't out-run anyone anymore. He used to be able to take a screen pass 60 yards, but now I get excited if he's able to get a 1st down. He's still going to be our #1 WR, regardless of if we draft a new WR, but he's slowing down and you never know when he'll lose his ability to play constant double teams. I think the team owes it to Smitty AND itself to find the next #1 WR soon A.) to prepare for life without Smith and B.) to make life easier on Smith in his final years.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast