Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

The unofficially official 2013 Carolina Panthers draft thread

Well, given that we're out of the playoffs, and like the past four years, this is what we've been looking forward to since at least November, so why not get the thread ready?

Since we pick at 14, here are some of the possibilities I see us taking if we stay at 14.

NT Jonathan Hankins
    OT Eric Fisher
    CB Demarcus Milliner
    CB Jonathan banks

-Everyone is mocking us Jonathan Hankins, but I'm not too convinced he's going to be at 14, especially if he has a good combine.
    -I really like both CBs here, they're both extremely physical and I think Milliner will be a shut-down CB, but I'm not sure they're valuable enough to not draft a lineman. Also, Banks may be a little high here.

Bad picks at 14, that wouldn't be so bad if we trade back:

OG Chance Warmack
    NT John Jenkins
    DT Sheldon Richardson
    WR Keenan Allen
    WR Cordarelle Patterson

-I love Warmack as a prospect (much like DeCastro last year), but I don't see an OG worth a 1st round pick, unless it's very late. He would improve the OL, but an OT is much more needed.
    -I like Jenkins' size and block-consuming ability, but I'd much rather have Hankins for a NT, and he doesn't seem too bright.
    -Love Sheldon Richardson's explosiveness, but I'd rather have a NT than a UT.
    -I like Kennan Allen, but I love Cordarelle Patterson. Patterson just looks like an absolute play-maker and constant threat at the next level, but I don't know if WR is a justifiable need for a late 1st.

Players who I'd like to see us grab in the 2nd if available:

OT (some first-round talent will slide to the 2nd for some reason or another)
    Sheldon Richardson/John Jenkins/Cordarelle Patterson (if they fall)
    S Matt Elam
    WR Justin Hunter
    OT D.J Fluker

The second round is hard to predict, especially when the combine hasn't even started, but here's a rough list of players I wouldn't mind with our 2nd.
    -Any of the 1st round talents would appear to be a steal if they slid
    -Elam is a beast and would probably be an immediate upgrade for either safety position. He's also an excellent tackler, so no more watching safeties struggle to bring down runners.
    -I like Hunter's size and explosive speed
    -Fluker would probably make a good RT, but I don't know about LT.

EDIT: OT Lewan has decided to go back to college.
    Last edited by manbearchef; 01-12-2013 at 03:41 PM.

vCash
    Nice work. I look forward to joining in on this conversation once I have time to look at players.

vCash
    Lewan did pretty good handling Clowney for most of that game.

BRING BARRETT TO CAROLINA, GETTLEMAN!

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCBoSoxfan21 View Post
    Lewan did pretty good handling Clowney for most of that game.
    Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't complain if we ended up drafting him at 14, but I don't view him higher than Fisher. It could just be the games I saw were off games, but I just wasn't that impressed, given that some people think he could/should go in the top 7-10. Like I mentioned earlier, based on the few games I watched of him (I only saw the highlights of the bowl game) I thought he was holding way too much.

Really, as far as production goes, I think we'd get a fine player out of any of the 1st round talents I listed (the WRs are the most 'iffy'), just a matter of where you rank people. Prior to the combine, I have the top three OTs ranked as Joeckel>Fisher>Lewan, with only Joeckel being worth a top 10 pick.

vCash
    Lewan is not entering this draft as of now.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Lewan is not entering this draft as of now.
    Damn. That might mean OT is out of yhe question at 14.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    Damn. That might mean OT is out of yhe question at 14.
    Yeah, depends on how Fisher looks at the Senior Bowl and the Combine. He's a guy with very fluid stock because of the level of competition he played against at CMU. I don't really hate it though, if OT is out of the question Round 1, it couls mean we focus on DT here, look at someone like a Dallas Thomas in Round 2. Lane Johnson is another one I like, but I really think that this class, without Lewan, pushes his stock solidly into Round 1 unless he just tanks his pre-draft schedule.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Barrett Jones/DJ Fluker might be there at our 2nd.

MMA FIGHTERS: WERDUM, JONES, SONNEN, MAYHEM, BELFORT, HENDRICKS, MAYNARD, ALDO, WINELAND

vCash
    Barrett Jones/DJ Fluker might be there at our 2nd.
    Maybe. Part of that could depend on how healthy Jones is during the pre-draft months. If he can't workout much, that could definitely push him down. I'm not sure I want Fluker. He's lazy, slow on his feet, inconsistent. He's a guy I would take in the 4th rouond, but I don't want him in the 2nd.
    On Cam Newton:

So it's official.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    I'm not a fan of Fluker because he reminds me of a less talented Otah. If we could trade back and get him late in the 2nd or early in the 3rd I wouldn't mind. The problem is he doesn't look to project as a LT so we'd still need one in a couple of years.

vCash
    Barrett would be a really great addition for this line. He can play anywhere and is a standout as an athlete, leader, and a person. Definitely a guy that can help this team. The more I see/read of the guy, the more I see there is to like.

vCash
    Barrett would be a really great addition for this line. He can play anywhere and is a standout as an athlete, leader, and a person. Definitely a guy that can help this team. The more I see/read of the guy, the more I see there is to like.
    Is he a first round projection? Sounds good based on what you're saying, but I haven't been following prospects yet.

vCash
    He's a late 1st/early 2nd guy. Depends on how much one particular team values his versatility. Some may view him as a T, others a C. I personally think he can be a bonafide LT. He's very strong with good footwork, high intelligence (and character), and is a great in both run and pass protection.

vCash
    Just read something about a free agent DT that I thought was very interesting. His name is Armond Armstead. According to the article if we signed him it would like be getting a high draft pick because of his age and talent. I think at the very least we should take a VERY close look at him because we need a DT in the worst way plus it could save us a draft pick that we could use for another position of need. Thoughts?

Former USC and Toronto Argonauts DT Armond Armstead has workouts scheduled with the Patriots, Colts, and Eagles.
    Armstead went to Canada to prove he was healthy after suffering a heart attack and missing the 2011 season with the Trojans. He recorded six sacks in 2012 while helping the Argonauts win the Grey Cup. ESPN's Adam Schefter calls Armstead "the equivalent of a high draft pick." Expect more teams to get in involved in the pursuit of a potential impact defender.
    Related: Colts, Patriots, Eagles
    Source: ESPN.com
    Jan 15 - 6:53 PM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaFan87 View Post
    Just read something about a free agent DT that I thought was very interesting. His name is Armond Armstead. According to the article if we signed him it would like be getting a high draft pick because of his age and talent. I think at the very least we should take a VERY close look at him because we need a DT in the worst way plus it could save us a draft pick that we could use for another position of need. Thoughts?

Former USC and Toronto Argonauts DT Armond Armstead has workouts scheduled with the Patriots, Colts, and Eagles.
    Armstead went to Canada to prove he was healthy after suffering a heart attack and missing the 2011 season with the Trojans. He recorded six sacks in 2012 while helping the Argonauts win the Grey Cup. ESPN's Adam Schefter calls Armstead "the equivalent of a high draft pick." Expect more teams to get in involved in the pursuit of a potential impact defender.
    Related: Colts, Patriots, Eagles
    Source: ESPN.com
    Jan 15 - 6:53 PM
    I would say had he come out of school healthy he was at best late 2nd, most likely 3rd rounder.

If we signed him and resign Dwan, I'd take OT first round, and still would want a DT like Jesse Williams or Shariff Floyd in round 2.
    Last edited by NCBoSoxfan21; 01-15-2013 at 08:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast