Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Personally, I'd like for them to publish, The List. What's it called? I forget...the one with the 100+ names on it that tested positive. It might change our perspective on how widespread it was.

The greatest players were the greatest with or without it. Mostly I'd want to be sure good players who had great years were not admitted.
    They'll never publish that list, but you can figure out an interesting percentage from it. Let's say that 100 - 150 players were on that list. You divide by the total number of players at the major league level, let's say 500 - 600 (I really don't know) then times by 100 then divide by the total number of teams. Then you have a percentage range of guilty players that you can apply to every team in the majors. And then you can apply the percentage to the number of players on a roster
    Last edited by So Co Jo; 01-11-2013 at 01:21 PM.
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Perhaps Piazza knows it's not a good idea to badmouth the people who are responsible for voting you into the HoF.
    Well people don't think he could've worked hard to be as successful as he was so why should anyone believe that he would be smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds him perhaps? The way Piazza is viewed on here by some is as if he is some dumb neanderthal like Canseco.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by So Co Jo View Post
    They'll never publish that list, but you can figure out an interesting percentage from it. Let's say that 100 - 150 players were on that list. You divide by the total number of players at the major league level, let's say 500 - 600 (I really don't know) then times by 100 then divide by the total number of teams. Then you have a percentage range of guilty players that you can apply to every team in the majors. And then you can apply the percentage to the number of players on a roster
    Can you imagine the laughter if Greg Maddux was on the list, throw all conventional wisdom about steroids out the window. lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Can you imagine the laughter if Greg Maddux was on the list, throw all conventional wisdom about steroids out the window. lol
    to be honest I cant say I really believe anyone is clean. even if you dont do steroids or hgh there are still things like speed out there. I do appreciate the 50 game bans and the brand new in season drug testing that they have now
    I'm just that damn nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by So Co Jo View Post
    to be honest I cant say I really believe anyone is clean. even if you dont do steroids or hgh there are still things like speed out there. I do appreciate the 50 game bans and the brand new in season drug testing that they have now
    Pitchers don't need speed. They get to sleep in for 4 days, and often the next day's starter is sent ahead of the team on getaway day if they are going on the road and he starts the first game.

That doesn't mean no pitcher has taken it, but the primary reason for using it is to get through the grind of a 162-game season day after day.

vCash
    I heard on MLB Network that some of the sportswriters don't consider Glavine a sure bet for the first ballot even though he has 305 wins. Granted he wasn't a big strikout pitcher and had a pretty high career WHIP but 300 wins is 300 wins in my book. If you aren't great you never reach that mark. Glavine and Maddux painted the outside and inside corners to death on you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    I heard on MLB Network that some of the sportswriters don't consider Glavine a sure bet for the first ballot even though he has 305 wins. Granted he wasn't a big strikout pitcher and had a pretty high career WHIP but 300 wins is 300 wins in my book. If you aren't great you never reach that mark. Glavine and Maddux painted the outside and inside corners to death on you.
    Some writers like to reserve the 1st year for the elite of the elite. Glavine is a HoF pitcher. I doubt anyone is denying that right? Glavine never really led the NL in any significant pitching category except Wins -- which is a devalued stat. For that reason he is not seen as an elite elite pitcher.

He'll get in the second year - if not the first. "Some" certainly won't be everyone.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-13-2013 at 11:31 AM.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789