Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    Writers are a joke considering there is already a steroid user in the HOF. But everyone loves Rickey Henderson so it is okay. Because it is obviously extremely normal for a 40 year old to have 4% body fat and hit .300 following mediocre seasons.

Can't wait till Frank Thomas doesn't get in either, even though he was more anti-PED than anyone and went out of his way to help expose cheaters in the Mitchell Report.

And yet Bagwell gets more votes than Piazza even though there is a far better link for Bagwell to steroids. So I guess the HOF thinks Piazza is still juicing after his career is over? He's still a huge guy.
    Frank Thomas was always a naturally big guy. That's why they call him "The Big Hurt". If they don't vote him in, then it's a real joke.

With Bagwell getting more votes than Piazza, that's a real "w-t-f??!?!?!?"

I guess the writers saw how Piazza got in as an extremely LATE round pick (really as a favor from Tommy LaSorda), and turned out to be the best hitting catcher ever, and that raised suspicion.

Still, growing up watching Mike Piazza lead the Mets in the late 90's was an pleasure.

vCash
    Wow. Piazza isn't even one of the biggest slights there. It's hard to complain about the best hitting catcher of all time not making it, when the best starting pitcher of all time and best hitting outfielder of all time also didn't make it.

The following should all be easy HOF votes IMHO: Clemens, Bonds, Schilling, Raines, Bagwell, Piazza.

I understand that some voters won't vote for two of those names due to connections with performance enhancing drugs, but there's no excuse really for the others, and they all deserve to get in.

vCash
    If the Wilpons are upset about this then why don't they retire Piazza's number and put him in THEIR HOF as well as have a day dedicated to him?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    If the Wilpons are upset about this then why don't they retire Piazza's number and put him in THEIR HOF as well as have a day dedicated to him?
    Because Bud might take it as a slap in the face and then shut them down like he should have already. Great idea though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nymetsrule View Post
    They are waiting for him to be inducted wearing a Mets' cap.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    They are waiting for him to be inducted wearing a Mets' cap.
    Why? So if he does go in as a Dodger we aren't allowed to celebrate him as a Met anymore? What is the delay, he is the greatest player aside from Seaver to ever play for our team, let alone ENJOY playing for our team. Retire his number and put him in the Mets HOF on opening day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    Writers are a joke considering there is already a steroid user in the HOF. But everyone loves Rickey Henderson so it is okay. Because it is obviously extremely normal for a 40 year old to have 4% body fat and hit .300 following mediocre seasons.

Can't wait till Frank Thomas doesn't get in either, even though he was more anti-PED than anyone and went out of his way to help expose cheaters in the Mitchell Report.

And yet Bagwell gets more votes than Piazza even though there is a far better link for Bagwell to steroids. So I guess the HOF thinks Piazza is still juicing after his career is over? He's still a huge guy.
    I don't know about their being a far better link for Bagwell. But the reason he got some more votes is likely largely b/c this isn't his first time on the ballot. It's his third year on the ballot, he got 56% of the vote last year and 41.7% the year before so Piazza is doing well comparatively.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspy44 View Post
    I don't know about their being a far better link for Bagwell. But the reason he got some more votes is likely largely b/c this isn't his first time on the ballot. It's his third year on the ballot, he got 56% of the vote last year and 41.7% the year before so Piazza is doing well comparatively.
    yah, the BB writers tend to use "backwards logic" in their voting...Shunning players in their first year and then slowly the player gets more votes...IMO, if you aren't "worthy" in one of your first 2 or 3 seasons, then it's time to drop you...nobody gets "better" the longer that they have been retired...
    Last edited by vtmet; 01-09-2013 at 05:56 PM.

vCash
    These sports writers are just angry little men who are doing this for control. Piazza is about as clean as Cal Ripken Jr. The guy played a tough position and showed decline like a clean player would who played catcher for as long as he did. With Piazza's strength if he used would have hit 50-60 yearly if he was using. Just bull****. Some f-ing clown voted for Aaron Sele and two voted for Shawn Green, REALLY? The sabermetrics nerds are keeping one of the best big game pitchers out of the Hall in Jack Morris, left a guy who was regarded as one of the best six or seven second basemen in history with 3,060 hits, Piazza who was the most prolific hitting catcher in baseball history with not one link to steroids or PED's and then you have a guy like Raines who if not for Rickey Henderson who IMO used steroids was the best leadoff hitter in the game for a number of years. To not have one going into the Hall except for those guys from the early 1900's is a crime. Can't wait to see next year when the screw Maddux and Glavine out of be inducted in their first years of eligibility. If guys like Piazza and Bagwell can't get in during their first years then I can't see Thomas getting in next year either.
    Last edited by SILVER SEAVER; 01-09-2013 at 07:00 PM.

vCash
    What is going to change from this year till next for a guy like Morris who is in his last year of eligibility gaining almost 68% of the votes now or Piazza, Bagwell or Biggio?

vCash
    Im pretty saddened that Mike got the title of "first ballot Hall of Famer" unfairly taken away from him. There was never a doubt in my mind he wasnt a first ballot HOFer for a real long time. Pretty disappointed.

vCash
    Piazza probably won't get in next yr either with guys like Maddux and Glavine being added to the ballot. There's so many guys during that era that have the numbers to get in that it's gonna take yrs before they all make it.

vCash
    Thank you Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Barry Bonds and Rafael Palmeiro for f-ing it up for guys like Piazza, Bagwell, McGriff and probably Thomas next year.

vCash
    I STILL cannot believe in a year where no one was voting for the steroid era that Jack Morris and Lee Smith didn't make it either...

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    I can understand that the writers don't want to accidentally vote in a guy who used (though they probably already did). I just don't like the hypocrisy of it, where most will vote in guys (and have) who used Greenies...or not vote for someone just because they didn't like them.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast