Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    What does this mean? Did something come up today?

Aaron Bruski: NBA has received $3B in public $ for arenas since '90. Sources say SAC's model offer of public $ puts that issue on the table Twitter
    I would also like to know.....

Maybe he's implying that since the city isn't publicly funding an arena, that means the league will look at our city not as viable?? That's my only guess. And if that's the case, that's complete ********.

vCash
    I am confused by that as well because Seattles Arena plan isn't being built off the public dollars Balmer/Hansen are paying for about half of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    I am confused by that as well because Seattles Arena plan isn't being built off the public dollars Balmer/Hansen are paying for about half of it.
    The 30 Mil isn't for the relocation because, the amount of money is subject to the BOG. the deadline for relocation will obviously be filed to be pushed back till the sale is sorted through.

Also the 90B in Arena financing, I think Aaron meant by that is, Sacramento has put a good amount of money into financing an arena and that will come up in the Sale, I honestly don't think it's going to have any merit in the sale as each side might have self financing, but I think it is something the NBA will look into.

vCash
    New Bee article:

With two proud cities fighting for control of the Sacramento Kings, the National Basketball Association will soon be called upon to pick a winner.

But how?

One city, Seattle, has signed a tentative, $340 million deal with the Maloof family to buy and move the team, and appears to have the inside track. Sacramento, in turn, is expected to counter any day now with a bid of its own, and has been gaining momentum in recent days.

It's unprecedented, said Bay Area sports consultant Andy Dolich, a former NBA team executive. "This is a unique circumstance. We have a thoroughbred horse race."

A decision is expected in mid-April, when the 30 NBA owners convene for a postseason board of governors meeting in New York.

The NBA brain trust is offering few clues on which way it's leaning, or how it will decide, leaving NBA pundits guessing, radio talk shows buzzing and two cities pitching their merits.

"From a solid deal standpoint, Seattle has the stronger position right now," said Dolich, who was an executive with the NBA's Grizzlies when they moved from Vancouver to Memphis. "They have an arena plan. They have a deal in place with the Maloofs. They have a pre-existing (NBA) market which has shown strength."

The conventional wisdom is that owners would be reluctant to reject a fellow owner's business deal, especially when the sales price represents a record team valuation that could boost the worth of all teams.

League officials also reportedly would like to see the financially stressed Maloofs gone, and approval of a Seattle sale is the quickest route to accomplish that.

But some NBA watchers and local officials say Sacramento has a solid chance to save its team, and is gaining momentum almost daily after appearing dead and done two weeks ago.

They argue that league owners will not want the negative publicity from abandoning another supportive city whose leaders have done what the NBA has asked in the last two years, including putting together an NBA- approved arena deal last year. The Maloof family rejected that deal.

"I would challenge any community our size in the country to display that enthusiasm and those resources in demonstrating a desire to keep their team," said Sacramento Councilman Jay Schenirer.

To have a chance, Sacramento must present the league in the next few weeks with a legitimate, sufficiently wealthy purchase group, a strong offer from that group, and solid evidence that it can get an arena built.

A source with inside knowledge of the NBA, who declined to speak for attribution because the NBA has called for a no-talking policy, said the league is clearly signaling it wants a proposal from Sacramento.

"Sacramento has a real fighting chance," the source said. The NBA "knows how the community has responded to the team. If a deep-pocketed group buys, if the Maloofs get the same amount of money, and an arena set up, it will be difficult for the board of governors to just dismiss that."

Possible court fight

There is precedent on Sacramento's side, as well. The league owners stopped the sale and relocation of the Minnesota Timberwolves in the early 1990s due to concerns about the finances of the would-be purchasers.

Top NBA officials told The Bee last year the league also takes into account the competition its team would face in each market. The Kings are the only major league sports team in Sacramento. Seattle has major league football, baseball and soccer, as well as college sports.

Sacramento Mayor Kevin Johnson and the Sacramento ownership bidding group must persuade at least eight of the league's 30 owners to oppose the Seattle sale. League rules require a three-fourths majority vote to approve any sale.

Sacramento may have another legal shot at nullifying or delaying a Seattle sale. A local bankruptcy trustee who controls 7 percent of the team said on Tuesday he plans to bring in special litigation counsel to pursue claims that minority owners are being denied the right to match the Seattle purchase offer.

"This could be a situation that takes some time to resolve, which I think works in favor of Sacramento Kings fans," said Michael McCann, a sports-law expert at the University of New Hampshire.

The NBA itself may be the one sure winner in the Kings saga. League officials appear to have turned the ongoing Kings turmoil into a public relations positive that could potentially boost the value of all teams in the league.

The Seattle sales agreement is based on a record $525 million team valuation ($340 million is for the majority share controlled by the Maloofs), and NBA experts say that price tag could go even higher when a Sacramento group steps in to offer a bid.

Sacramento's emerging group, headed by grocery billionaire Ron Burkle and 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov, has been silent publicly but is taking steps that show it intends to mount a serious effort.

Mastrov, a Bay Area resident, was in Sacramento on Monday, meeting with some of the 21 local investors who have agreed to pitch in $1 million each toward a Sacramento purchase bid. Several of them came out of that meeting saying Mastrov struck them as a focused and highly competitive businessman who fully intended to win the battle for the Kings.

And officials at the NBA's normally tight-lipped New York offices let it be known last week that Stern had met with Burkle. Burkle briefed Stern on his partnership's plans, including a new arena at Downtown Plaza instead of the troublesome railyard.

Stern also recently told reporters that Burkle should be given a chance to make an offer. NBA watchers say those aren't necessarily indications that Stern favors Sacramento.

"It is in the commissioner's best interest to get as many bids as possible," said the source with knowledge of the NBA's thinking.

A private vetting

Multiple interviews and a review of an internal NBA document suggest Sacramento will get a private vetting by the league long before Mayor Kevin Johnson makes his planned public pitch to NBA owners in New York in April.

The Maloofs likely are prohibited from entertaining other offers now because of an exclusive agreement they are believed to have signed with the Seattle group.

The Burkle-Mastrov group instead would submit its proposal directly to the league office for forwarding to the league's advisory/ finance committee, the group of a half-dozen owners that is reviewing the Seattle group's finances.

The finance committee will at some point issue a recommendation to the full NBA board of governors, which can vote yes or no on the sale to Seattle. It cannot, however, require the Maloof family to sign a deal with the Sacramento group.

The Maloofs two years ago angrily rejected Burkle's unsolicited overtures to buy the team, but a source close to the matter said Mastrov knows the Maloofs and has a cordial relationship with them.

A second NBA committee, the relocation committee, will be tasked with analyzing Seattle's arena plans and that city's strength as an NBA city. An NBA guiding document states the committee will consider how well the Maloofs have managed the team and will assess "the support of the … team in the existing location by fans, telecasters, broadcasters and sponsors."

Questions have arisen about a potential conflict for relocation committee chairman Clay Bennett. Bennett has been vilified by some in Seattle for buying the Seattle SuperSonics and moving them to Oklahoma City as the Thunder in 2008.

Seattle city officials told The Bee that Bennett does not have a financial conflict of interest. A previous requirement that Bennett pay the city $30 million if Seattle doesn't get an NBA team by July 2013 has been voided because Seattle hasn't yet made specified renovations to KeyArena.

NBA officials declined to comment on whether Bennett may have a personal conflict of interest that might cause him to favor or oppose returning a team to Seattle.

The league also declined to comment about speculation on a scenario in which the NBA would offer an expansion team to one of the cities or offer a distressed owner from another city the chance to sell to either Seattle or Sacramento.
    http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/30/515...competing.html
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Andy Dolich sounds like a ******. I hope he knows that. Really annoying how he made it seem like Seattle is all ready to go when it comes to having a team and Sac isn't. We're more viable than Seattle.

So, basically we need 8 teams to vote for us to stay in Sac??

Well, we should have Phoenix and Dallas on our side. Cuban is an outspoken advocate of keeping our team here, and Mayor Kevin Johnson has his jersey in the rafters in Phoenix, so I would think there would be loyalty there and that Phoenix would be backing the Mayor.

Maybe Miami since LeBron and the Mayor seem to be friends now. Didn't LeBron say something on Twitter that suggested that he would like to see the Kings saty?? Miami will do whatever LeBron says.

T-Wolves, cause Adelman coaches there. You know he loves us here in Sac!!! And we all love him!!!

Can't come up with any other speculations on who would vote for us to stay. Can anyone else come up with anything??
    Last edited by ZebraCity916; 01-30-2013 at 04:14 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZebraCity916 View Post
    Andy Dolich sounds like a ******. I hope he knows that. Really annoying how he made it seem like Seattle is all ready to go when it comes to having a team and Sac isn't. We're more viable than Seattle.

So, basically we need 8 teams to vote for us to stay in Sac??

Well, we should have Phoenix and Dallas on our side. Cuban is an outspoken advocate of keeping our team here, and Mayor Kevin Johnson has his jersey in the rafters in Phoenix, so I would think there would be loyalty there and that Phoenix would be backing the Mayor.

Maybe Miami since LeBron and the Mayor seem to be friends now. Didn't LeBron say something on Twitter that suggested that he would like to see the Kings saty?? Miami will do whatever LeBron says.

T-Wolves, cause Adelman coaches there. You know he loves us here in Sac!!! And we all love him!!!

Can't come up with any other speculations on who would vote for us to stay. Can anyone else come up with anything??
    I read something a week or 2 ago that AEG would help with our arena efforts and coincidentally AEG did like 8 or 9 other arenas in the NBA. So whatever teams with AEG arenas would probably vote for us to stay.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    I read something a week or 2 ago that AEG would help with our arena efforts and coincidentally AEG did like 8 or 9 other arenas in the NBA. So whatever teams with AEG arenas would probably vote for us to stay.
    Nice!!!

vCash
    Owners are unlikely to vote down a relocation. All the reasons stated in this thread are meaningless, the owners are not going to use any of those reasons to vote down relocation. Owners generally ( I don't think its ever happen) won't vote down a relocation of a team that is sold. If the team gets sold to the Seattle group and gets past the Board you can bet the Kings will be moving to Seattle. Our only hope is that the board of Governor turns down the sale of the team because someone matches the deal and wants to keep the team local.
    Last edited by Plague; 01-31-2013 at 04:56 AM.

vCash
    You know what I just thought of that will add insult to injury....on the off chance this team leaves (see what I did there) the Sonics are a lock to get the number 1 pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Plague View Post
    Owners are unlikely to vote down a relocation. All the reasons stated in this thread are meaningless, the owners are not going to use any of those reasons to vote down relocation. Owners generally ( I don't think its ever happen) won't vote down a relocation of a team that is sold. If the team gets sold to the Seattle group and gets past the Board you can bet the Kings will be moving to Seattle. Our only hope is that the board of Governor turns down the sale of the team because someone matches the deal and wants to keep the team local.
    We're looking for owners to vote down the sale, not relocation. Of course the move will be approved if the sale of the team goes through.

vCash
    It sucks that David Stern and the Maloofs had to put you guys through this. Too bad expansion is out of the equation for Seattle. I definitely want the Sonics back, but I feel for you guys. I still get pissed seeing OKC on ESPN. I feel like punching Clay Bennett right on the nose. There are a lot more teams I would rather have other teams relocate to Seattle then the Kings. Sacramento fans were crazy during the C Webb years. I respect the fans of Sactown. For the most part, they are classy. If they do move to Seattle, don't give up. If you guys build an arena, I believe the Kings will be back.

The future is present.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ccg34 View Post
    It sucks that David Stern and the Maloofs had to put you guys through this. Too bad expansion is out of the equation for Seattle. I definitely want the Sonics back, but I feel for you guys. I still get pissed seeing OKC on ESPN. I feel like punching Clay Bennett right on the nose. There are a lot more teams I would rather have other teams relocate to Seattle then the Kings. Sacramento fans were crazy during the C Webb years. I respect the fans of Sactown. For the most part, they are classy. If they do move to Seattle, don't give up. If you guys build an arena, I believe the Kings will be back.
    Expansion isn't outta the question for Seattle. David Stern has been quoted recently saying why not keep the Kings in Sac and give expansion to Seattle.

Thanks though. It's appreciated. Thanks for not being one of those ignorant Seattle fans that come in here and act like the Kings are already gone.

vCash
    Expansion isn't outta the question for Seattle. David Stern has been quoted recently saying why not keep the Kings in Sac and give expansion to Seattle.

Thanks though. It's appreciated. Thanks for not being one of those ignorant Seattle fans that come in here and act like the Kings are already gone.
    Seriously? That's obviously ideal, I just hadn't heard anything suggesting expansion was even a possibility.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash

Link?

vCash
    We're looking for owners to vote down the sale, not relocation. Of course the move will be approved if the sale of the team goes through.
    Owners are not going to vote down the sale because AEG built their arena, or because Rick Adelman is their coach. The only way the Kings will stay in Sacramento is two fold. 1-the agreed upon sale itself has problems. 2-a reputable deal is matched and the new owners want to keep the team in Sacramento.

Page 35 of 67 FirstFirst ... 25333435363745 ... LastLast