Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415
    vCash
    I still have Mussina in. You don't have to be a show stopper in order to get in. And I don't think I've ever wanted someone to be a hall of famer as much as I want Pettitte to be. His numbers may not scream hall of fame but if there is one thing you can say about him it's the bigger the game got, the bigger he got. As far as I'm concerned that's criteria number one when decided whether or not a guy is a hall of famer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    I still have Mussina in. You don't have to be a show stopper in order to get in. And I don't think I've ever wanted someone to be a hall of famer as much as I want Pettitte to be. His numbers may not scream hall of fame but if there is one thing you can say about him it's the bigger the game got, the bigger he got. As far as I'm concerned that's criteria number one when decided whether or not a guy is a hall of famer.
    I love Andy too but his ped use black balls him.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    When it comes to the HOF, I have a very strong opinion.

Mussina was never the top pitcher. Oh he won many games, but he never really was a Randy Johnson that just made you thing seriously about going into the skip's office before the game and ask for a game off. He was a quiet guy who just got the job done, but not in dominating fashion. He didn't strike tons of guys out, or blow them away. He just didn't allow the hitters to get good wood on the ball. Good.... clearly... Great... possibly... HOF... fraid not.

Not that it matters. I don't put any stock in the HOF. When a Player with the numbers that Pete Rose put up in his career is still on the outside looking in.... sorry, if he's not in... there really are few who should be... The betting done by Rose, and the crime the Black Sox committed is really the owners own fault...Let's be honest... If Pete was getting paid during is career commisurate to what the guys are getting today, he would not have had any need to bet on baseball, his bank account would have been overflowing... Same goes for those guys back in 1919.. By keeping the salaries low, you also open yourself up to guys trying to make just a bit more on the side.

Still, his numbers alone should have him in the hall... no vote needed... he is one of the very few that you don't need a bunch of self serving, egotistical writers to tell us that he was one of the very best. Until he is enshrined, that museum is nothing but a sham. I will NEVER set foot even in that town (and I used to live only a few hours drive away for many years) until the greatesttravesty in sports is corrected.

At least the rest of the major sports only look at what you did ON THE FIELD OF PLAY as to whether you are in or not. What you did away from that was not to be considered. Like the BBWAA has some moral compass that makes them better than us. Most news organizations today seem to believe that they know better of what is news and what is not... too bad they just don't get it anymore. I am glad that with the dying age of newspapers, most of them will soon be out of a job.
    I agree with much of this. In fact almost all of it.

I would say however, that there exists the very real possibility that Rose bet against his own club while he was a manager, which would lead to serious, serious implications for conscientiously making moves that would ensure a positive payday. He took the ban voluntarily on the condition that the full breadth and depth of the evidence against him never be made public. THAT, more than anything else, kind of makes me wonder.

HOWEVER,

For a sport so predicated upon the use of statistical benchmarks, achievements and numbers, to have the greatest career hitter and the greatest career home run hitter BOTH excluded from the hall is a comedy show.

These are arguably the two most elite and sexy stats in all of professional sports, much less the game itself, and to circumvent them with the weak arsed arguement about moral turpitude and community representation, or some such nonsense, is a complete and utter frakking farce.

If Selig and the rest of the good ol boy committee seriously want to try and pull the spin wool over the public's eye concerning moral representation, perhaps they shouldn't have royally screwed over Buck O'Neill for so many years.

And so, a new era begins.....

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415