Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    I agree with Kinger with his last two points more so. I think that his attitude was not liked around the board of owners during meetings, and I think that it was one of those situations where Nonis would be there, and Burke would be there, and Burke would do his normal talk talk talking and it didn't rub off well with the owners.

That's good and bad at the same time. Shows at least that some people won't take any **** and aren't afraid to make moves like firing Burke. Because it happened this fast it was about Burke's ego and attitude, it will come out soon.

Nonis and Burke are totally different people. GM wise we shall see, but attitude wise there is no comparison.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    You really think Burke got fired for a hockey reason??? Burke said the wrong thing to the wrong person. Part of me thinks Burke was set up and the "Board" wanted a new face associated with the organization. Bell and Rogers have been successful in business for a reason. Not once have I heard or read anything about either company ever turning down someone who wants to sign a 5 year plus contract. This move had to be made. Burke was a joke with the Leafs. He talked to hear his own voice at times.
    I don't care why he was fired, if this team has a proper rebuild, I'm all for it.

vCash
    Only issue with a proper rebuild is that it will take years lol.
    But, realistically they are set up for one. Most of the contracts are expiring either this year or next.

This year Lupul, Mac, Connolly, Lombardi, I think Kadri too.

Then next year Phaneuf, Kessel, Komisarek, Kulemin etc I think.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    I don't care why he was fired, if this team has a proper rebuild, I'm all for it.
    Count me in too. I can stand losing. I honestly can if it's eventually going to be for the greater good. But when you're losing like we were with Burke here and trading top picks and taking short cuts that didn't work out it becomes so freakin agonizing to lose like that. If there's light at the end of the tunnel it's easier to take the pain that comes with a proper rebuild. So I'm all in. It just depends what direction Nonis and management wants to go. Hopefully for once the right decision is made. I'd forget all about Luongo if we do this thing right.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    A top 5 pick in the 2013 draft would help with the rebuild big time. Take the best available center and the draft Spencer Martin in the second round

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Only issue with a proper rebuild is that it will take years lol.
    But, realistically they are set up for one. Most of the contracts are expiring either this year or next.

This year Lupul, Mac, Connolly, Lombardi, I think Kadri too.

Then next year Phaneuf, Kessel, Komisarek, Kulemin etc I think.
    It will take years but we already have some pieces in place here so it's not like it will be a full 5 year type. Gardiner,Rielly,Kadri,JVR etc certainly give it a kickstart.

Quote Originally Posted by KingerSoxMaster View Post
    Count me in too. I can stand losing. I honestly can if it's eventually going to be for the greater good. But when you're losing like we were with Burke here and trading top picks and taking short cuts that didn't work out it becomes so freakin agonizing to lose like that. If there's light at the end of the tunnel it's easier to take the pain that comes with a proper rebuild. So I'm all in. It just depends what direction Nonis and management wants to go. Hopefully for once the right decision is made. I'd forget all about Luongo if we do this thing right.
    I'm with you on giving up on Luongo as well IF the plan is the proper rebuild. Nonis is known for being almost too patient. I'd still like a new GM brought in here, why oh why was Dudley let go if Burke was gonna get canned before the season started. Dudley's a great guy to have around for prospect hoarding.

vCash
    A top 5 pick in the 2013 draft would help with the rebuild big time. Take the best available center and the draft Spencer Martin in the second round
    Well the draft is gonna be a good one, so it all depends how teams do and how Toronto does, of course.

Nonis being GM could change a whole lot meaning they may just tank and trade all the expiring contracts at the deadline, and set up for a shot at a top 5 pick.

That would suck as a Leafs fan, but this should have been done years ago.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    I am starting to feel OK with not going after Luongo and letting Reimer and Scrivens share starts. Rynnas has been rock solid with the Marlies too, so I wouldn't mind him being the full time starter down there to help develop.

I hope Rielly doesn't make the team and plays a full year with Moose Jaw. I hope Frattin and Komarov do, and get experience. (I am a big believer in Frattin, I think he has top 6 even top 4 potential)

I hope Gardiner gets healthy again. I hope JVR makes strides and stays healthy.

JVR is a major part of their future, being one of the few locked up past 2016 (Just Grabvoski is locked up past that time too)

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    I hope Nonis guts this roster and does a true rebuild. Take 4 years to get everything where it needs to be and then take a serious run from there. Look what the Oilers have done. They are a player or two away from being a legit contender. UFAs will want to sign there now. There are some players I would keep, but 75% of them should be gone by the trade deadline

vCash
    The reason why we need this rebuild to last atleast this season is because of this draft. Exactly because of this draft. To be able to pick one of MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan is a dream scenerio for us because there's your stud center. I'm also with Lavy on taking Martin the 2nd round. But I'd be even more interested in trying to aquire a late first and going after Zach Furcale out of Halifax. He's hid behind the shadows of MacKinnon and Drouin but he's unreal. Amazing run to the playoffs last year where we stole the job as a 16 year old. This year he's been great and stood out when MacKinnon and Drouin left for World Jr. camp/tournament. They only lost 1 game without the two of those guys. Haven't seen three 17 year olds put a team #1 in the country before.

Martin may be a more viable option because if we pick high in the 1st we'll pick high in the 2nd and Martin may be there. Meaning we don't trade other picks to move into the first. It's probably the best bet. But if we could walk out of there with a center and young goalie with potential it'd go such a long way in adding to Morgan Rielly.

vCash
    I would love for the Leafs to get a second 1st round pick in the early 20's and take Furcale. I'm sure it will be him and Martin between the pipes for Canada at the WJC next year. The Leafs need to draft and develope a goalie. The last goalie the Leafs drafted and developed was Felix Potvin.

vCash
    I kinda remember that working out too. Hell with it. Trade up in the late 20's without tossing in the 2nd rounder and take em both haha. One's gotta work out down the road.

vCash
    Nonis wanted to go young, now the Leafs are the youngest team in the league

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    I hope Nonis guts this roster and does a true rebuild. Take 4 years to get everything where it needs to be and then take a serious run from there. Look what the Oilers have done. They are a player or two away from being a legit contender. UFAs will want to sign there now. There are some players I would keep, but 75% of them should be gone by the trade deadline
    The Oilers are still pretty bad considering they were the worst team in hockey last year.

Sure, it would't shock me if they made the playoffs (its a short season) but there still missing alot of talent and are relying on huge leaps from their young players.

They're tanking method has only really gotten them 3 players also (they like everyone else needs to build elswhere)

For 2013-2014 (a real date they should be starting to truly contend) they have 48.74 million on the books with Sam Gagner and Ryan Jones still to resign (if they choose too). That's including the fact that they have 2 defenseman (Justin and Nick Schultz) on the roster for that period and crappy goaltending.

They still have quite a few holes. Is it fillable yes? Have they done a perfect job with this rebuild effort? No

Its not a bad model for a rebuild but its not the only way.

EDIT: My point is that Nonis just needs to be smart. He needs to use his cap space wisely and not waste it on overpaying certain guys who are older or had career years.

He needs to develop cheap young talent (the most valuable asset in the NHL), and he needs to take advantage of market inefficiency (using cap space on 1 year deals that will net you draft picks at the deadline)

vCash
    There is a huge difference being young and being young with high end talent. The Leafs are a great example of being young and the Oilers are a great example of being young with high end talent. I'd rather be the Oilers with a lot of high end talent getting ready to break out than the Leafs who have a bunch of young guys trying to find themselves

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123