Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    They said they are reworking Nonis's deal.

vCash
    I don't know what to think about this hire. Feel like they should've interviewed other candidates. The only thing we can hope for is that he turns out like that other Toronto assistant GM that was hired when his boss was let go (see AA).

vCash
    i really wish Dudley didn't go to the Habs, we could have really used him right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tito Santana View Post
    They said they are reworking Nonis's deal.
    yea HC at noon said he'll be here 3 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    i really wish Dudley didn't go to the Habs, we could have really used him right now.
    Lol how? He wouldn't have changed anything....

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    I'm fine with Nonis for now. He's a good hockey man although I don't like the fact that he was Burke's right hand man so a lot of the moves that were made were obviously run by Nonis first.

So that's one issue. I think for now it's fine. Let's see what he can do without Burke by his shoulder. I believe Nonis can make better moves then Burke has made by himself.

He looked nervous as **** though during the interview, poor guy lol.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Dave Nonis was interviewed this afternoon on Sportsnet (Fan 590) by Kypreos, Mallard and MacLean.

After the interview, the panel stated they did not get the impression that ownership was pushing Dave Nonis to make a push for Luongo and the playoffs. Kypreos stated that it seems like ownership is pushing Nonis to "do it right". They mentioned that it seems like the quality of talent in the 2013 NHL Draft is a big thing for ownership.
    Does ownership actually wanna rebuild properly? does this mean Burke pushed for Loungo and was fired because of it?

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    You really think Burke got fired for a hockey reason??? Burke said the wrong thing to the wrong person. Part of me thinks Burke was set up and the "Board" wanted a new face associated with the organization. Bell and Rogers have been successful in business for a reason. Not once have I heard or read anything about either company ever turning down someone who wants to sign a 5 year plus contract. This move had to be made. Burke was a joke with the Leafs. He talked to hear his own voice at times.

vCash
    I agree bb wasnt fired because of Lou....I find it funny some sportsnet guys think that but the tsn guys say no way and that he wanted Lou....further more after BB was fired one of the higher ups said nonis has full control on one of the tsn radio shows...why would Rogers control the leafs but let AA run the Jays on his own?

vCash
    I think I've heard 28957206 different stories why he was fired. There's 3 reasons that stand out and I'm pretty sure it has to be one of the 3.

1) He was told to make the Luongo deal to save his job but said no the price is too high. Apparently that was one reason why. I sure as hell hope it wasn't the reason or else I'm scared as hell of new ownership.

2) It's speculated that alot people on the board weren't a fan of his polarizing and intimidating ways. They wanted a guy less outspoken and a guy who spends most of his time on the team and not waging media wars. There's an article I'll find and post a link to when I wake up later this morning. It was a Dave "Call your parents" Feschuk article. He spoke with Richard Peddie and Peddie told him that about 1/2 a dozen people in the organization pleaded with Burke to tone it down. He said he called Burke and straight up told him "Don't go after Don Cherry. Nobody wins that battle." Then he proceeds to say that after he said that Burke pushed even harder after Cherry.

3) It's been well documented that he was using prophanity at a meeting with the board. They say one member told him that language like that wouldn't be tolerated anymore and Burke proceeded to use an expletive again after he was told it was unacceptable.

It's all going to come out in the wash eventually. But it's been mental all this speculation. From listening and reading basically every article and every interview I'm of the opinion that the Luongo deal had nothing to do with this. Dave Nonis already said earlier on TSN and on PTS before he went on TSN that he would not trade a good young player unless it was for another good young player that would fill a position of need for the Leafs. I was happy to hear this. He was also asked about the Gardiner to the Canucks and while he couldn't say much he hinted that Gardiner wouldn't be involved in any deal for a veteran player. End of the day it's looking more and more like Burke shot himself in the foot and caused his own fate. And if you think about Burke it's not hard to imagine him letting his mouth get into trouble. When he was in Vancouver he got canned when new ownership came in for the exact same reason. Burke is a guy you love or a guy you can't stand and there's not much of a grey area there. Obviously the new owners aren't Burke people. I like the fact now that our GM won't be sticking his mug on tv every chance he gets. Infact Nonis said today that he knows the rest of the league, the rest of the league knows him and that's all he wants to know who he is. Specifically said the emphasis should be back on the team and not on the front office.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 01-11-2013 at 01:38 AM.

vCash
    Well said...and yeah nonis doesnt boast like BB...keeps it behind closed doors...everyone should be happy with that!!

vCash
    One of my major concerns here is that ownership did this to "create more of a democracy in the organization." They said something along those lines in the press conference the other day. If that is a way of saying ownership is going to get involved with the running of the hockey team, that is bad news. We saw when that happened when JFJ was at the helm... That is why things got so bad in the first place. I would have felt better had they wiped the slate completely clean and gone with a new vision and a new leader, yet they promoted Brian Burke's right hand man, so it clearly had nothing to do with how he ran the team. Those of you who think this is now when the team is going to tear it down and start the full rebuild, think again.

It's too bad because I feel as though if Burke were to take over a team at the quality that it is now when he started in 2008, this team would be really good now. Rebuilds do not happen over night and I think Burke realized that in Toronto, the fans couldn't handle a full rebuild. That is why it is too bad that he didn't get a little more opportunity to now really finish the project so to speak.

Lastly, what I really did like about Burke was his understanding of the economics of hockey and the CBA. It seemed like he had a leg up on a lot of other GMs in this regard, maybe because he worked for the league in hockey operations before he became a GM, I'm not sure. I think he has done a good job of setting up the Leafs in terms of cap management for the new CBA. I for one think it was a mistake firing him now, but will not miss his attitude that was tied with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    Lol how? He wouldn't have changed anything....
    because he would be a great guy to hep with this staff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ktownguy31 View Post
    Well said...and yeah nonis doesnt boast like BB...keeps it behind closed doors...everyone should be happy with that!!

This. Yeah I like that about Nonis I think it will bode much better around Toronto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    You really think Burke got fired for a hockey reason??? Burke said the wrong thing to the wrong person. Part of me thinks Burke was set up and the "Board" wanted a new face associated with the organization. Bell and Rogers have been successful in business for a reason. Not once have I heard or read anything about either company ever turning down someone who wants to sign a 5 year plus contract. This move had to be made. Burke was a joke with the Leafs. He talked to hear his own voice at times.
    Yeah I agree. I am sick of hearing this nonsense about how it had to do with Luongo, I doubt that ownership would fire a guy for that reason alone otherwise tons of GM's would lose their job... I bet it's not the first time someone said yes or no to a trade.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by boilerguy2412 View Post
    because he would be a great guy to hep with this staff
    Nobody is a savior. Yeah he had experience but he wouldn't have changed any outcomes. Even with Dudley still here the Leafs would have hired Nonis as GM anyway.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast