Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

It's not Roger's fault

At first I thought that the the bountygate scandal was the work of Goodell's deranged mind. I thought he was damaged as a child when RFK was assassinated and his father took RFK's senate seat. Somehow Goodell's young mind concieved that as Sirhan Sirhan providing food for his family. It was a delusion that made Sirhan Sirhan a childhood hero and made NFL star Rosy Grier, who corraled him, the enemy. As his father became a longtime senator, Roger was promoted through the NFL league office to appease congress. Finally, Goodell's pent up resentment toward Grier manifest itself with the Bounty scandal.

That theory was all fine and good, but nearly a year into this thing with a defamation case pending, concussion lawsuits jumping from 3 plaintiffs to 3000 and the league office having lost billions in the lockout due to Rogers illegal TV deal, it doesn't explain why the owners haven't fired him. Even Saints owner Tom Benson has been conspicuous by his silence. Why is this?

The only real explanation is that Goodell hasn't initiated any of this. The lockout, TV deal and bountygate were all concieved of by the owners, and Goodell is just a high-priced fall guy - someone to deflect the blame from the owners. To believe otherwise you would have to believe the owners would stand idly by while Goodell has cost them billions of dollars. These are the owners mistakes, not the commissioner's.

In many ways, this whole mess started when Dave Duerson committed suicide two years ago. Understand that when former players asked for fair treatment back then, Goodell's stance was "show me" your hurt. Since players would have to produce their brain to prove the damages, it looked like a good strategy for the league. Then Duerson's suicide came, and the preferred method for players following suit became a gunshot to the chest. The players were, indeed, showing him.

This bounty thing was developed by the owners to shift the blame for the injuries to the players themselves. The whole scheme would work with any team, it didn't have to be the Saints. How did it end up that way? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Tom Benson simply drew the short straw. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the former Jacksonville owner drew it on the first go round, threw it away and stormed out of the meeting yelling. "I'm selling." In contrast, Benson's reaction would have been much more cooperative, "Whee-doggie, them southerners ain't gonna like this down in the South!" Heck, It wouldn't cost Tom any money. He just takes his share from the middle of the table, anyway.

No, the sorry state of the league isn't Goodell's fault. No single man, no matter how twisted, could do this much damage. I think the owners had plenty of time in the past decades to evaluate Goodell. His psychosis simply made him the ideal man for the job.

vCash
    Roger Goodell, the finest commissioner in professional sports. The NFL is lucky to have him.

And, I believe he may be an alien plant!
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    roger goodell is a douchebag who can royally go **** himself
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    roger goodell is a douchebag who can royally go **** himself
    At least he isn't Gary Bettman.

Bdawk4prez owns me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    At least he isn't Gary Bettman.
    http://p.twimg.com/A24n2SFCQAAYI9s.jpg:large
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I actually like Goodell...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    I actually like Goodell...
    I don't hate him either. My biggest problem with him is on cracking down on crlebratoons and fines.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    I actually like Goodell as well. Way better than David Stern
    Studs

vCash
    I hate that he wants to add more teams to the playoffs and the cutting down on TD celebrations but that's about it, he ain't too bad

PSD's Aaron Dropson.
    Honorary packers fan

vCash
    Other than the fact that he's puszy-fied the game, has pretty much made it illegal to touch a QB, has nearly eliminated the kickoff return, and taken away touchdown celebrations, I too, like him.
    "We don't take what the defense gives us; we take whatever the hell we want." - Al Davis

ONE NATION, DOMINATION, RAIDER NATION!

vCash
    Id take Selig. I really would. He has done all he can with baseball. Taken actions like instant replay, better drug testing and puts out a great product. Goodell is turning this sport into a ***** sport. It has to be said. There are no more big hits, no more fear as an offensive player.

vCash
    The hits just keep coming with Goodell. In the playoffs coming up Sunday he scheduled Seattle to play at 1pm EST for their trip to Atlanta, which is 10am Seattle time. This after mentioning during the season that west coast teams were at a disadvantage traveling east to play early games, and that he would try to avoid scheduling these games early in the future. Instead, he schedules Houston and New England at 4:30 EST. It's clear this commissioner considers TV ratings before fair competition. You could say ratings points are more important to Goodell than football points. Do we really trust this man with the well being of the NFL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Id take Selig. I really would. He has done all he can with baseball. Taken actions like instant replay, better drug testing and puts out a great product. Goodell is turning this sport into a ***** sport. It has to be said. There are no more big hits, no more fear as an offensive player.
    I would take Zelig. He would be all things to all people.
    I'm going to list ALEC in credits as associate producer of creating horrifying things for us to talk about -John Oliver

People who think the least powerful members of society are responsible for most of its problems are deluded, at best.

vCash
    These are the facts.

A. Goodell works for the Owners.

B. Some players have significant brain issues due to trauma

C. Lawyers are representing players with significant brain issues due to trauma

D. These lawsuits could end the NFL

then it get murky

a. Players like Sean Sailsbury, who played started only 12 games, wants in on the lawsuit. Many are claiming they have brain issues. Issues which cannot be determined until the person expires. Is Sailsbury and others being truthful or just want in on a buck?

b. Some players have brain issues regardless of playing football.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by statyat View Post
    The hits just keep coming with Goodell. In the playoffs coming up Sunday he scheduled Seattle to play at 1pm EST for their trip to Atlanta, which is 10am Seattle time. This after mentioning during the season that west coast teams were at a disadvantage traveling east to play early games, and that he would try to avoid scheduling these games early in the future. Instead, he schedules Houston and New England at 4:30 EST. It's clear this commissioner considers TV ratings before fair competition. You could say ratings points are more important to Goodell than football points. Do we really trust this man with the well being of the NFL?
    You do understand that playoff schedules are set before the the 'playoff season' starts, don't you?
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast