Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Issues with the Mets Doctors...Again

Sandy Alderson said team doctors did not locate the spur until last month, after Francisco resumed throwing in preparation for 2013 and still had discomfort. According to the GM, Francisco’s spur was obstructed from view during his September exam by whatever else was going on in the elbow.

“I think the spur was discovered and finally diagnosed just before he had the surgery,” Alderson said. “It was a matter of conservative treatment, but there really were a couple of issues related to the elbow, and the primary issue was obscuring the spur issue.”
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...ncisco-surgery

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

vCash
    Worst team docs in sports?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    Worst team docs in sports?
    "...the primary issue was obscuring the spur issue.”
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    "...the primary issue was obscuring the spur issue.”
    no...the primary issue is that the Mets medical staff has had a history of missing **** like broken bones and bone spurs dating back to when Art Howe was the manager sending a shortstop and a pitcher out to play repeatedly on broken bones in their legs and telling them to "toughen up"...

vCash
    JJ PUtz told to lie about injury....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vtmet View Post
    no...the primary issue is that the Mets medical staff has had a history of missing **** like broken bones and bone spurs dating back to when Art Howe was the manager sending a shortstop and a pitcher out to play repeatedly on broken bones in their legs and telling them to "toughen up"...
    Mets changed the medical staff. Mets presently use the same hospital as the NY Giants -- the Hospital for Special Surgery. It is one of the very best in the country.

Bone spurs are common by the way. Every pitcher develops them, and most are pitching with them -- until they become uncomfortable. Bone spurs to pitchers is like prostate cancer to men. Pretty much everyone gets it, some need treatment, and some don't.

NY Giants: http://www.hss.edu/condition-list_football.asp
    Mets: http://www.hss.edu/condition-list_baseball.asp

What do you think of the NY Giants medical staff?

Pitchers from other organizations -- including Mariano Rivera -- often use Dr. David Altchek.
    http://www.hss.edu/physicians_altchek-david.asp
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-09-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

Knowing the overall *shape* of an idea, argument, situation requires as many facts, models, opinions as you can take/make to see a whole.

vCash
    JJ PUtz told to lie about injury....
    I don't recall the details exactly, but many sports franchises tell players to be quiet about injuries.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I don't recall the details exactly, but many sports franchises tell players to be quiet about injuries.
    Not keep quiet, go out and lie.

vCash
    Not keep quiet, go out and lie.
    I don't recall the details exactly, but many sports franchises tell players to lie about injuries.
    John Maeda@johnmaeda

vCash
    Sounds like the Simpsons episode when Dr. Hibbert finally notices the thing in Homer's body that his thumb had been hiding every time he would hold up an X-ray.

vCash
    I don't care what Alderson says as the reason the spur was missed, I care what the doctors say.

All sorts of things can lead to missing a spur: its size, movement artifacts, scar tissue, a slight alteration in the angle of the image . . .
    Scarecrow: I haven't got a brain... only straw.
    Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
    Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they?
    Dorothy: Yes, I guess you're right.

vCash
    The medical staff is different from the Art Howe days.

And images are not always crystal clear. You can't see every inch of the body via imaging. Even sometimes when things do show up they can still be hard to fully evaluate -that's why a lot of times if a player has a tear or something they don't know how long he'll be out until they do the surgery and actually go in there to take a look

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanthree15 View Post
    Sounds like the Simpsons episode when Dr. Hibbert finally notices the thing in Homer's body that his thumb had been hiding every time he would hold up an X-ray.
    Except if we take it out, I don't think Francisco's going to turn into a brilliant pitcher...

vCash
    They should get a bonus if it means Francisco is not on the field in 2013.

vCash
    I find it funny when fans insult trained physicians. Do you guys really think you know whether or not a doctor "should have" seen something in an MRI earlier? Sure, our front office has acquired damaged goods in the past, but perhaps we shouldn't just assume that a professional baseball team hired a bunch of dumbasses to treat their players.
    "We're snakebitten, baby." --Fred Wilpon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast