Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    vCash
    GM Jerry Reese: Giants Will Interview Manti Te’o At NFL Scouting Combine

January 23, 2013 2:03 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – Will Manti Te’o be a member of the New York Giants next season?

It’s way to early to tell, but it’s certainly a distinct possibility.

Big Blue will have the 19th pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, and it’s conceivable that the former Notre Dame linebacker will fall to that slot. As the story of the hoax surrounding his fictional deceased girlfriend – Lennay Kekua — continues to unfold, it remains to be seen how his draft stock will be affected.

The Giants could have interest in the 2012 Heisman Trophy runner-up, and general manager Jerry Reese said on Tuesday that he’s interested in speaking with the First Team All-American and hearing his side of the story face-to-face.

“It’s too early to say anything definitive,” Reese told the New York Post in regard to how much the Giants covet the 21-year-old. “We need to get more details.”

The general manager said that team officials plan to conduct an interview with Te’o at the NFL Scouting Combine in February.

“We interview most all the players, and so we’ll interview him, just like we interview everybody else,” Reese told the Newark Star-Ledger. “If he’s in the right spot, and we like him well enough, any of these guys could be a possibility, including him. He’s in the mix with everybody else, but there’s a lot of work to do before April. We’ll get all the information that we can gather on these players, and we’ll see how that goes.”

Te’o took home the Lott Trophy, the Maxwell Award, the Chuck Bednarik Award, the Walter Camp Award, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy, the Butkus Award and the Lombardi Award in 2012 en route to leading Notre Dame to an appearance in the BCS National Championship Game.

“We’ll get all the information that we can gather on these players and we’ll see how that goes,” Reese told the Star-Ledger. “But right now it’s still too early to tell which direction we’ll go (in the draft). But like always, with us, we pick the best player that’s on the board at the time.”

Many recent reports have suggested that Te’o was a victim of the hoax and not in on it, although he did admit to Katie Couric that he briefly lied about the situation.
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/01/...uting-combine/

vCash
    I think Te'o could easily fall into our laps....he needs work, yeah but I still think he can be a stud. I just don't want the baggage that comes with him being on our team (i.e. the fake girlfriend BS trashtalk)

vCash
    I've been a believer in Te'o for a long time and really felt he would be a stud in the NFL but after this hoax I can't help to have 2nd thoughts about him. Is this kid mentally stable? I can tell you this much, players including his own teammates are gonna really **** with him and you better believe it will get in his head.

He's gonna be a risk at this point and maybe he still can be a stud LB in the NFL but he's better off in a small market..

vCash
    The NY media would have a field day on Te'o, but I still think he would be worth the risk. We don't need another leader in the locker room, we need production on the field - so Te'o wouldn't have to be at the forefront of all the interviews (still will be Rolle and Tuck's job). If JR truly follows the best player available formula, and Te'o was still available, then he will be a Giant.

Goodbye old friend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pelfry34 View Post
    The NY media would have a field day on Te'o, but I still think he would be worth the risk. We don't need another leader in the locker room, we need production on the field - so Te'o wouldn't have to be at the forefront of all the interviews (still will be Rolle and Tuck's job). If JR truly follows the best player available formula, and Te'o was still available, then he will be a Giant.
    A lot of is gonna depend on how much more info comes out. Last night there was a report that Manti's phone record had over 100 calls to a California number that would be in the area code of Stanford. The calls were well over a hour.. So maybe he was the victim if that's the case it's a positive for him, still looks like a fool but not a liar who made this hoax up.

Te'o is gonna have to go thru a ton of interviews.. Teams are really gonna have to talk to him and see where his head is at..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giantsince69 View Post
    Don't be short sighted, Te'o is still the player he has shown on tape for four years. Once he starts lighting up ball carriers again all will be forgotten.

In the end all he did was lie about meeting her in person, which was stupid, and then lie again after he found out he was scammed, which was panic. Nothing terrible for a 21 year old kid caught in a situation he didn't know how to deal with. America is sooo unforgiving nowadays.... it's sad.

He's still a first rounder and I would be happy if the Giants got him at 19... I prefer Dion Jordan but I would be happy with Te'o.
    you're right...shoot people forgot about Ray Lewis's potential involvement of a murder when he lite it up in 2000 with a SB ring and a Lombardi
    Last edited by cowboyskilla; 01-25-2013 at 01:42 AM.
    BORN AND RAISED TO KILL COWBOYS
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

Gimme MORE of that BAZE D'andummy!

NY Giants Fan, LA Lakers Fan, LA Dodgers Fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYGTom View Post
    I think Te'o could easily fall into our laps....he needs work, yeah but I still think he can be a stud. I just don't want the baggage that comes with him being on our team (i.e. the fake girlfriend BS trashtalk)
    after how he treated Prince for being weak, don't think JPP won't go *****in his brain up about this
    13-9 Record & Super Bowl 46 Champs: You made it true Big Blue!!!!(Now Aim High For #5!!!!! )

vCash
    I've seen some small clips of him and I really like him. If JR trusts him after the talk at the combine and is willing to let go of all the fake girlfriend bs i'd love to take him with our firstround pick. btw, in all the mock drafts i've seen he's still available at #19

Va...heart between Giants Stadium and MSG
    vCash
    If MT is there at 19 and Reese takes him I'm all for it. I wouldn't trade up for him though. We still have some strong prospects at our pick.

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS 18-1 Signature of a Champion!
    ELI MANNING.... 2X SB MVP....2X SB CHAMPION!

vCash
    Manti Te'o, Notre Dame: I was disappointed in his performance against Alabama so I went back and looked at other game tapes. The Stanford game raised as many questions as answers. He is aggressive but he struggles to disengage. It almost seems like he has to come down hill so fast just to beat the blocker to the point of attack or he's tied up. He takes chances trying to make plays and it doesn't always work out. At times he reminded me of when Junior Seau first came in the NFL. At other times he would overplay a run and miss the tackle. There was a lack of awareness in zone coverages at times when he didn't 'feel' the receiver in his zone. I had some concerns about how often he leaves his feet to make a tackle and miss. He needs to be in a 4-3 defense and the middle may be too much traffic for him to sift through to make plays.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pa...inebacker-help

Pat Kirwin's opinions of the ILB's available in the upcoming draft.
    Last edited by kingbrentg; 02-24-2013 at 02:24 AM. Reason: baiting
    Done - thank goodness

11. 02-23-2013, 03:07 PM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/blog/pa...inebacker-help

Pat Kirwin's opinions of the ILB's available in the upcoming draft.

(side note) maybe some kid will assume Kirwin only watched one of Teo's games.
    O and that article ripped apart your point of 4-3 ILB not being a huge importance so congrats on contracting yourself with that one.

Btw I don't want Te'o anymore, not since the hoax, he might end up being great but ny is definitely not the place for him.
    Last edited by NY007; 02-24-2013 at 01:11 PM.

13. 02-23-2013, 03:59 PM
    Reason
    baiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY007 View Post
    O and he told ripped apart your point of 4-3 ILB not being a huge importance so congrats on contracting yourself with that one.

Btw I don't want Te'o anymore, not since the hoax, he might end up being great but ny is definitely not the place for him.
    I'm having third thought about this kid after his post-hoax press conference at the scouting combine lol, but the way he was willing to answer each question with pure honesty and the way he laughed off being embarrassed of being caught in such a silly situation has really reprised his role as a confident man who has already move on from the Hoax and can still laugh it off when reminded about it.....this is my opinion, but I kind of think this "Hoax" has done more good for Te'o character-wise then harm now, and I believe he'll be ready for the New York press when he's wearing the "ny" symbol on his blue helmet...now with that said, I still prefer Ogletree over Te'o because of "physical abilities", but if Te'o is available at 19 and the Giants take him, I'm all for it....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    I'm having third thought about this kid after his post-hoax press conference at the scouting combine lol, but the way he was willing to answer each question with pure honesty and the way he laughed off being embarrassed of being caught in such a silly situation has really reprised his role as a confident man who has already move on from the Hoax and can still laugh it off when reminded about it.....this is my opinion, but I kind of think this "Hoax" has done more good for Te'o character-wise then harm now, and I believe he'll be ready for the New York press when he's wearing the "ny" symbol on his blue helmet...now with that said, I still prefer Ogletree over Te'o because of "physical abilities", but if Te'o is available at 19 and the Giants take him, I'm all for it....
    Yea I understand what your saying but it could also be very good PR coaching.. If we draft him I'll be excited but I'll also nervous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    I'd pass on that guy. Trouble.

vCash
    If the Giants think Teo as a football player is worth taking at 19, I'm all for it.

BTW, GGGGG-Men, can you change this title? Its been bothering me ever since dude made the thread.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast