Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    If neither team is willing to pay their own guys, I doubt they'd be interested in paying the other guy. Plus the fact that they're looking for a forward. I think the Habs may be locked up down the middle for a while as well. Depends on how you value Eller I suppose. I wonder if the Avs would re-sign O'reilly if a team like the Leafs would trade for Statsny?
    Don't you kind of think he's an overpaid plug now? I keep thinking he's going to bounce back but i'm not sure that's coming. He's also making over 6 isn't he? I figured especially with O'Reilley not starting out with the Av's might give Stasny a little extra playing time but he's hasn't done a thing to start this season. I dunno, maybe just a slow start

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan16 View Post
    Don't you kind of think he's an overpaid plug now? I keep thinking he's going to bounce back but i'm not sure that's coming. He's also making over 6 isn't he? I figured especially with O'Reilley not starting out with the Av's might give Stasny a little extra playing time but he's hasn't done a thing to start this season. I dunno, maybe just a slow start
    If you can get Statsny on the cheap, I think he'd be well worth the gamble. IIRC he hasn't been given much in the way of wingers, maybe someone could clear that up. He's also a UFA after next season, so if you did trade for him, and he didn't play well, you let him walk.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I don't think the Leafs should take any more gambles on overpaid, under preforming players. Build a core through the draft and then look to add complimentary pieces

vCash
    ^
    I agree. How's the quick-fix been working for us the last decade?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    ^
    I agree. How's the quick-fix been working for us the last decade?
    Well Stastny is not a quick fix.

If he's undervalued as an asset its worth a shot if you weigh the cost.
    Trading for potentially elite players is a good idea. The Phaneuf trade hasn't realyl worked in hindsight but I'd stand by that decision by Burke. It was the right sentiment.

vCash
    Statsny is a quick fix. It's a Phaneuf situation. Not a bad player not an old player but not near worth what he's paid. Also we wouldn't be trading Stajan, Hagman, and the hotdog vendor to get Statsny. We'd be giving up real assets we probably can't afford to peddle considering where the teams at. It's time to do this thing right and quit setting ourselves back one more year after one more year. It's getting real old after a decade

I really doubt Colorado's GM is as stupid a GM as Daryl Sutter. Good coach, dumb GM.

vCash
    Possible idea. What if you find a team like Tampa Bay with a player like Vinny who cant afford to compete on FA's with that contract but cant afford to buy him out. Could the buds swap grabovski and komi for Vinny and Connolly and buyout Vinny cause we can afford too and re sign him for cheaper (if he agrees with us). Is there a rule against buying out players that your team didnt negotiate a contract with? Might be a bad example but I think you understand my point. Rich teams trading for overpriced players and making the handcuffed team add a top prospect. Would give us more cap to sign Getzlaf and Perry and give us a chance at Vinny. And open Kessel and Mac up for a trade for a goalie
    Lupul/Getz/Perry
    JVR/Vinny ?or Kadri /Connolly
    Kulemin/Bozakor Kadri/Frattin
    Komarov/Mclement/Brown

Basically Helping eachother out in an unconventional way. Tell me if im crazy

vCash
    Statsny is a quick fix. It's a Phaneuf situation. Not a bad player not an old player but not near worth what he's paid. Also we wouldn't be trading Stajan, Hagman, and the hotdog vendor to get Statsny. We'd be giving up real assets we probably can't afford to peddle considering where the teams at. It's time to do this thing right and quit setting ourselves back one more year after one more year. It's getting real old after a decade

I really doubt Colorado's GM is as stupid a GM as Daryl Sutter. Good coach, dumb GM.
    Fair enough, I wouldn't give up alot for Stastny. But would I do it as a primary salary dump, sure.

He's only got two years left on his deal anyway.

Its all about costs vs benefit and risk vs reward. There's no conventional method of building in the NHL. Great GM's take advantage of great opportunities and get some luck.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk13 View Post
    Possible idea. What if you find a team like Tampa Bay with a player like Vinny who cant afford to compete on FA's with that contract but cant afford to buy him out. Could the buds swap grabovski and komi for Vinny and Connolly and buyout Vinny cause we can afford too and re sign him for cheaper (if he agrees with us). Is there a rule against buying out players that your team didnt negotiate a contract with? Might be a bad example but I think you understand my point. Rich teams trading for overpriced players and making the handcuffed team add a top prospect. Would give us more cap to sign Getzlaf and Perry and give us a chance at Vinny. And open Kessel and Mac up for a trade for a goalie
    Lupul/Getz/Perry
    JVR/Vinny ?or Kadri /Connolly
    Kulemin/Bozakor Kadri/Frattin
    Komarov/Mclement/Brown

Basically Helping eachother out in an unconventional way. Tell me if im crazy
    I don't think you can buy out and resign the player.

That would be smart though I'm not sure I want to trade Grabo for Vinnny. Connolly (I assume you mean the prospect) is interesting though.

vCash
    You can't resign somebody you buy out for a calender year or an entire season I'm pretty sure. Anyways I don't really think Lecavalier is the direction this team needs to be looking in.

vCash
    You can't resign somebody you buy out for a calender year or an entire season I'm pretty sure. Anyways I don't really think Lecavalier is the direction this team needs to be looking in.
    you are missing the point of it than....we lose 9.5 million and add a prospect. they get a more productive player back and shed valuable salary for years

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk13 View Post
    you are missing the point of it than....we lose 9.5 million and add a prospect. they get a more productive player back and shed valuable salary for years

I wouldn't do it I think if Lecavalier can't come back.

Is it worth trading Grabovski and 61.84 million. for Brett Conollly.

Thats a bit crazy. MLSE won't write Lecavalier a 60 million dollar check to walk away.

vCash
    Yeah I mean even though the Leafs are a cash cow it's still tough to go into the board room and say "can you write a 60 million or so cheque so I can pay this guy I just traded for to go away? We got an ok prospect out of it."

Can't imagine that going over too well even if Nonis explained why in detail to them.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Fair enough, I wouldn't give up alot for Stastny. But would I do it as a primary salary dump, sure.

He's only got two years left on his deal anyway.

Its all about costs vs benefit and risk vs reward. There's no conventional method of building in the NHL. Great GM's take advantage of great opportunities and get some luck.
    Why would this team want Stastny? You really think they are Stastny away from being a contender? The last thing the Leafs should be doing is trading anyone for an overpaid, under achieving player. The Leafs need to do this rebuild right. No more kicking the tires trying the quick fix with players that are overpaid and don't live up to the hype (Dion Phaneuf).

vCash
    What would it take to get O'Reilly from COL do you think? A decent spec and a 2nd (which would be 31-37th in 2013)? Maybe they would take a guy like MacArthur/Bozak even? That would really round out our top six.

Lupul - O'Reilly - Kessel
    van Reimsdyk - Grabovski - Kulemin

Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast