Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
Results 301 to 315 of 1027
  1. #301
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Bedford, NS
    Posts
    1,686
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    If neither team is willing to pay their own guys, I doubt they'd be interested in paying the other guy. Plus the fact that they're looking for a forward. I think the Habs may be locked up down the middle for a while as well. Depends on how you value Eller I suppose. I wonder if the Avs would re-sign O'reilly if a team like the Leafs would trade for Statsny?
    Don't you kind of think he's an overpaid plug now? I keep thinking he's going to bounce back but i'm not sure that's coming. He's also making over 6 isn't he? I figured especially with O'Reilley not starting out with the Av's might give Stasny a little extra playing time but he's hasn't done a thing to start this season. I dunno, maybe just a slow start

  2. #302
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    30,421
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeafsFan16 View Post
    Don't you kind of think he's an overpaid plug now? I keep thinking he's going to bounce back but i'm not sure that's coming. He's also making over 6 isn't he? I figured especially with O'Reilley not starting out with the Av's might give Stasny a little extra playing time but he's hasn't done a thing to start this season. I dunno, maybe just a slow start
    If you can get Statsny on the cheap, I think he'd be well worth the gamble. IIRC he hasn't been given much in the way of wingers, maybe someone could clear that up. He's also a UFA after next season, so if you did trade for him, and he didn't play well, you let him walk.

  3. #303
    Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,295
    vCash
    1500
    I don't think the Leafs should take any more gambles on overpaid, under preforming players. Build a core through the draft and then look to add complimentary pieces

  4. #304
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,747
    vCash
    1500
    ^
    I agree. How's the quick-fix been working for us the last decade?

  5. #305
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    ^
    I agree. How's the quick-fix been working for us the last decade?
    Well Stastny is not a quick fix.

    If he's undervalued as an asset its worth a shot if you weigh the cost.
    Trading for potentially elite players is a good idea. The Phaneuf trade hasn't realyl worked in hindsight but I'd stand by that decision by Burke. It was the right sentiment.

  6. #306
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,747
    vCash
    1500
    Statsny is a quick fix. It's a Phaneuf situation. Not a bad player not an old player but not near worth what he's paid. Also we wouldn't be trading Stajan, Hagman, and the hotdog vendor to get Statsny. We'd be giving up real assets we probably can't afford to peddle considering where the teams at. It's time to do this thing right and quit setting ourselves back one more year after one more year. It's getting real old after a decade

    I really doubt Colorado's GM is as stupid a GM as Daryl Sutter. Good coach, dumb GM.

  7. #307
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    488
    vCash
    1500
    Possible idea. What if you find a team like Tampa Bay with a player like Vinny who cant afford to compete on FA's with that contract but cant afford to buy him out. Could the buds swap grabovski and komi for Vinny and Connolly and buyout Vinny cause we can afford too and re sign him for cheaper (if he agrees with us). Is there a rule against buying out players that your team didnt negotiate a contract with? Might be a bad example but I think you understand my point. Rich teams trading for overpriced players and making the handcuffed team add a top prospect. Would give us more cap to sign Getzlaf and Perry and give us a chance at Vinny. And open Kessel and Mac up for a trade for a goalie
    Lupul/Getz/Perry
    JVR/Vinny ?or Kadri /Connolly
    Kulemin/Bozakor Kadri/Frattin
    Komarov/Mclement/Brown

    Basically Helping eachother out in an unconventional way. Tell me if im crazy

  8. #308
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Statsny is a quick fix. It's a Phaneuf situation. Not a bad player not an old player but not near worth what he's paid. Also we wouldn't be trading Stajan, Hagman, and the hotdog vendor to get Statsny. We'd be giving up real assets we probably can't afford to peddle considering where the teams at. It's time to do this thing right and quit setting ourselves back one more year after one more year. It's getting real old after a decade

    I really doubt Colorado's GM is as stupid a GM as Daryl Sutter. Good coach, dumb GM.
    Fair enough, I wouldn't give up alot for Stastny. But would I do it as a primary salary dump, sure.

    He's only got two years left on his deal anyway.

    Its all about costs vs benefit and risk vs reward. There's no conventional method of building in the NHL. Great GM's take advantage of great opportunities and get some luck.

  9. #309
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk13 View Post
    Possible idea. What if you find a team like Tampa Bay with a player like Vinny who cant afford to compete on FA's with that contract but cant afford to buy him out. Could the buds swap grabovski and komi for Vinny and Connolly and buyout Vinny cause we can afford too and re sign him for cheaper (if he agrees with us). Is there a rule against buying out players that your team didnt negotiate a contract with? Might be a bad example but I think you understand my point. Rich teams trading for overpriced players and making the handcuffed team add a top prospect. Would give us more cap to sign Getzlaf and Perry and give us a chance at Vinny. And open Kessel and Mac up for a trade for a goalie
    Lupul/Getz/Perry
    JVR/Vinny ?or Kadri /Connolly
    Kulemin/Bozakor Kadri/Frattin
    Komarov/Mclement/Brown

    Basically Helping eachother out in an unconventional way. Tell me if im crazy
    I don't think you can buy out and resign the player.

    That would be smart though I'm not sure I want to trade Grabo for Vinnny. Connolly (I assume you mean the prospect) is interesting though.

  10. #310
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,747
    vCash
    1500
    You can't resign somebody you buy out for a calender year or an entire season I'm pretty sure. Anyways I don't really think Lecavalier is the direction this team needs to be looking in.

  11. #311
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    488
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    You can't resign somebody you buy out for a calender year or an entire season I'm pretty sure. Anyways I don't really think Lecavalier is the direction this team needs to be looking in.
    you are missing the point of it than....we lose 9.5 million and add a prospect. they get a more productive player back and shed valuable salary for years

  12. #312
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    25,683
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rickyk13 View Post
    you are missing the point of it than....we lose 9.5 million and add a prospect. they get a more productive player back and shed valuable salary for years

    I wouldn't do it I think if Lecavalier can't come back.

    Is it worth trading Grabovski and 61.84 million. for Brett Conollly.

    Thats a bit crazy. MLSE won't write Lecavalier a 60 million dollar check to walk away.

  13. #313
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,747
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah I mean even though the Leafs are a cash cow it's still tough to go into the board room and say "can you write a 60 million or so cheque so I can pay this guy I just traded for to go away? We got an ok prospect out of it."

    Can't imagine that going over too well even if Nonis explained why in detail to them.

  14. #314
    Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,295
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    Fair enough, I wouldn't give up alot for Stastny. But would I do it as a primary salary dump, sure.

    He's only got two years left on his deal anyway.

    Its all about costs vs benefit and risk vs reward. There's no conventional method of building in the NHL. Great GM's take advantage of great opportunities and get some luck.
    Why would this team want Stastny? You really think they are Stastny away from being a contender? The last thing the Leafs should be doing is trading anyone for an overpaid, under achieving player. The Leafs need to do this rebuild right. No more kicking the tires trying the quick fix with players that are overpaid and don't live up to the hype (Dion Phaneuf).

  15. #315
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Port Dover, Ontario
    Posts
    922
    vCash
    1500
    What would it take to get O'Reilly from COL do you think? A decent spec and a 2nd (which would be 31-37th in 2013)? Maybe they would take a guy like MacArthur/Bozak even? That would really round out our top six.

    Lupul - O'Reilly - Kessel
    van Reimsdyk - Grabovski - Kulemin

Page 21 of 69 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •