Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

The state of the Phoenix Suns

http://www.brightsideofthesun.com/20...dy-be-in-place

The article goes over all the options we have and clarifies that we have 6 1st rd picks in the next 3 years. Out of those 6 5 are unprotected and yes this years Lakers pick is unprotected if they miss the playoffs.

vCash
    Good read. I don't want to be in lottery land for that long but it's hit or miss. I'll take my chances.

vCash
    I like where we are at. Don't change please. However, i think that Sarver is going to feel the wrath of the average fan soon which may result in a panic move. Stay the course!
    I Heart Kimmi Smiles

Support Her!

vCash
    great read

vCash
    IMO this is a great year to take a chance on a Rudy Gay or a Josh Smith, as long as we don't have to cripple our cap space, being that we have the Lakers pick which should be in the lotto as well. I know this team was set up to have ton of cap space this past off-season but the way I see it, and after failing to acquire Gordon, the team could possibly be set up to have even more cap space when K-Love and maybe even Westy would be available. If we manage to get at least one star potential prospect out of the picks we have along with Dragic and say Gay/Smith that might intrigue a player like Love or even Westy to come/stay in PHX.

I think it would be better if I showed what my plan would be if I was the FO.

I'm going with the Rudy Gay idea with the twist I put on the FA thread

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=abk4h7e

Obviously Tor pick and the Min pick we own go to MEM. I would also consider throwing a 2nd.

That leaves us with

Dragic/Bassy/Marshall
    Lamb/Brown
    Gay/Tucker
    Scola/Kieff
    Perk/O'neal

we still have our pick, LA's pick, Dragic, Gay and Lamb

The next 2 seasons we just fill our roster in FA with small contracts and keep developing Kieff, the rooks we get this year, Marshall and Lamb. Gay expires in the 2015 off-season and if I'm not mistaken we would have his bird rights by then allowing us to go over the cap if necessary. By that time I really see K-Love threatening to opt out being that he has a player option that off-season so we can trade a prospect or two along with the Lakers 2015+fillers for K-Love. Obviously there would need to be more but if K-Love is on the move I'm 100% sure picks and young players need to be involved. Anyways the team could potentially have a core of Dragic-Lamb-Gay-Love-Prospect?? Obviously there's no guarantee of Love being in a Suns uni but the team I have envisioned, even without Love, would be in a great position to put a contender together.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that it's not a bad idea to make a move right now that we have flexibility as long as it's not out of panic causing us to give up all our current assets. That's just me though .
    Last edited by mdm692; 01-09-2013 at 01:24 PM.

vCash
    A few things.

1st. Getting Gay inherently destroys our cap space. Thats the entire reason Memphis is trying to get rid of him. His deal is crippling.

2. Memphis would not touch Micheal Beasley with a 10 foot pole. Memphis just brought in John Hollinger to be one of their top pro-player scouts, the dude is one of the champions of analytics in basketball. Beasley is arguably the worst player in the league by analytic measures and has NEVER been anything but awful. They would never ever take him on.

3. OKC would not give up that much for just Gortat. That Toronto pick is gold and worth far more Marcin by itself.

vCash
    Beas is can be let go and the guaranteed 9$ mill can be spread out over the next 5 seasons that is under 2 mill per season. Perfect scenario for Hollinger. We're not getting the 1st round pick for just Gortat we're getting it for helping them get under the lux tax and for giving them a huge upgrade at C. And Gay does not cripple us we wpuld still be under the cap and the rest of the roster would be filled with small rookie contracts(Kieff, Marshall, Lamb, and 2 rooks this coming draft).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mdm692 View Post
    Beas is can be let go and the guaranteed 9$ mill can be spread out over the next 5 seasons that is under 2 mill per season. Perfect scenario for Hollinger. We're not getting the 1st round pick for just Gortat we're getting it for helping them get under the lux tax and for giving them a huge upgrade at C. And Gay does not cripple us we wpuld still be under the cap and the rest of the roster would be filled with small rookie contracts(Kieff, Marshall, Lamb, and 2 rooks this coming draft).

Gay cripples us. Without question Gay's contract is crippling. Its why he is on the market.

Dumping Beasley's contract is a good scenario for us. The Grizzlies want players who can contribute, Beasley is not that, especially not for them.

And Gortat for Perkins is a wash in terms of salary for OKC, infact its even worse than a wash because they can simply amnesty Perkins to avoid the tax. That Toronto pick is solid gold for them, there is no way they're trading it for a mediocre starting center who will need a new contract in 18 months. You wanna do Gortat for Perkins, Lamb and OKC's own pick? You might be able to pull that off, but there isnt a snow balls chance they'd giving up that Toronto pick which is almost guaranteed to be top 10.
    Last edited by Phrazbit; 01-09-2013 at 10:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrazbit View Post
    Gay cripples us. Without question Gay's contract is crippling. Its why he is on the market.

Dumping Beasley's contract is a good scenario for us. The Grizzlies want players who can contribute, Beasley is not that, especially not for them.

And Gortat for Perkins is a wash in terms of salary for OKC, infact its even worse than a wash because they can simply amnesty Perkins to avoid the tax. That Toronto pick is solid gold for them, there is no way they're trading it for a mediocre starting center who will need a new contract in 18 months. You wanna do Gortat for Perkins, Lamb and OKC's own pick? You might be able to pull that off, but there isnt a snow balls chance they'd giving up that Toronto pick which is almost guaranteed to be top 10.
    No the reason he is on the market is because they overpaid each and every one of their players and now that they haven't gotten closer to a ring they are forced to blow it up to avoid the Luxury Tax.

Edit: Also Gay is more of a luxury to them. Their offense runs through Z-Bo they just have Gay to hit game winners. Also Tony Allen is due an extension and they need him more than they need Gay.
    Last edited by mdm692; 01-09-2013 at 10:38 PM.

vCash
    I can't see any 2013 FA's worth offering a $10M-$15M per season contract to, that will help us going forward.

I think we have to stay lottery-bound for a few seasons.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bishnoff View Post
    I can't see any 2013 FA's worth offering a $10M-$15M per season contract to, that will help us going forward.

I think we have to stay lottery-bound for a few seasons.
    Me neither. I wouldn't even go after Dwight if he somehow decided to leave LA. Dude is not a winner.
    I Heart Kimmi Smiles

Support Her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JPHX View Post
    Me neither. I wouldn't even go after Dwight if he somehow decided to leave LA. Dude is not a winner.
    I agree. He just doesn't seem to take the game (and his career) seriously.