Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I am actually quite interested in this signing, but I do understand he will not be "the next big thing" right away. But like what was said on the Spurs Lakers thread, you can see that Spurs are not good enough, and Im willing to make a change even if it meant S-Jax, and adding a Big makes Blair and Bonner more flexible and we might get them along with package of Neal and or Sjax to improve, as of now, I don't really think our team can win it all with the lineup that we have, and any changes that will improve is welcome... thats why Im still excited by it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zappist View Post
    I am actually quite interested in this signing, but I do understand he will not be "the next big thing" right away. But like what was said on the Spurs Lakers thread, you can see that Spurs are not good enough, and Im willing to make a change even if it meant S-Jax, and adding a Big makes Blair and Bonner more flexible and we might get them along with package of Neal and or Sjax to improve, as of now, I don't really think our team can win it all with the lineup that we have, and any changes that will improve is welcome... thats why Im still excited by it
    Sounds good. I just see this as more of a prep for next year. This way he gets in practice time as well as a full training camp. Actually I think this is a challenge more to Splitter than Blair. Splitter need to prove that he truly is capable of being a force for this team. And if he doesn't then I say we ship him out with a high stock.

vCash
    Marc Stein: Deal not yet done but, as reported abroad, San Antonio indeed trying to complete signing of Aussie big Aron Baynes from Olimpija Ljubljana
    HoopsWorld

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

"No flash, No gimmicks. It's the quiet guys you should fear."

vCash
    Still awaiting official word on this as of 11:30 a.m. on Wednesday morning, but there are multiple reports trickling out of Europe that the Spurs, in true out-of-left field Spurs fashion, have signed New Zealand center Aron Baynes to a multi-year deal. Baynes had been playing well in the Slovenian league, averaging 13.8 points and 9.8 rebounds with Union Olimpija incidentally, the same club Danny Green played for in 2011. Listed at 6-10, 250 pounds in college, Baynes averaged 8.7 points and 5.4 rebounds in four seasons at Washington State.
    San Antonio Express-News

'Coach, we've got an issue with Kawhi in the arena. Event management called and the lights are not on, and Kawhi's in the arena for two straight days at 6:30 in the morning. And he brought two lamps from home, and he put them up in the arena and shot.'

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    He'll probably not play much or at all this season, but a cheap big that's actually big locked up for a few seasons can't be bad. Also creates possibilities on the free agent market this coming off season if he seems like he can handle the NBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Update On Aron Baynes
    Written by Jose Grijalva

As Project Spurs reported, Aron Baynes is heading to join the San Antonio Spurs. With new information from the DailyTelegraph.com.au, it appears the signing is all but official. His team, Union Olimpija, has wished him well in his new endeavors:

Thank you for everything and good luck - @aronbaynes! (@Union Olimpijia)”
    The site is also reporting about the contract San Antonio has reportedly offered him:

According to the reports, the 2.08m-tall centre has been offered a $3.5 million contract over four years.”
    If this is true, the Spurs struck gold with Baynes. He has the reputation of being the best big man in Europe and with the Spurs having limited money to offer, this is a great deal for the team's immediate future. With a long term deal, this will help the organization create a team with a mix of veterans and youth on a mission to win another championship.
    project spurs.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    ORMER SPUR GAZE COMMENTS ON ARON BAYNES
    Written by Jose Grijalva

To say Andrew Gaze, former San Antonio Spurs guard on their 1999 championship roster, is excited for his countryman Aron Baynes signing with the San Antonio Spurs would be an understatement.

He's not only excited, but he also is giving us a look at what type of player and person Baynes is. In an interview with Smh.com.au, Gaze indirectly tells us how Aron will be a perfect fit to the team from the get go.

''They don't recruit dills...Personality and team ethos is just as important to them as the ability to make a jump shot or get a rebound. They don't tolerate stupidity or those who don't buy into their system."
    Baynes seems to be the perfect player for this team with that description.

The Spurs are a team without ego and selfishness, something that's top priority with the organization and head coach Gregg Popovich. While we don't know how his skills will actually translate in the big stage of the NBA, Gaze gives us his description of Baynes' game for those who haven't seen him.

''He is a strong talent with good size and more importantly he has tremendous athleticism for a big guy and runs the floor really well."
    The Spurs are always looking for athletic strong guys to help Tim Duncan out in the post.

The team has had trouble dangling around the back end of the bench with Matt Bonner and DeJuan Blair because they both bring in different qualities to the team. Baynes might bring in what both of them bring and may make the Spurs more dangerous with a solidified rotation, even if it's in the middle of the season.

Even though Baynes is coming into a situation with a new team and big expectations to help a team win a championship, he'll be around a core and team that's played alongside each other very well so he his transition can be smoother without having to do too much or carry the team.

Throughout the article, Gaze mentions this move as a "blessing from the hoop gods" for Baynes, but what's been reported so far, this seems to be a blessing for both sides.
    ProjectSpurs.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Nice words to hear from a former Spur.

Does anyone remember this guy..? Andrew Gaze

I was about 9 yrs old and can't remember that far back lol.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    i actually remember gaze a little. i always bring him up to aussies i meet. i think he was here during the rodman era. the announcers always hyped him up, but he never got playing time. most aussies i bring him up to know who he was and love him. they tell me he was old when he came over to the nba.

vCash
    Size, played college ball at Washington State, is a little lazy with his footwork, but size! Good riddens Blair. Also insurance based on Tiago's money options this offseason. Only 26.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by benjirh View Post
    I think we need a little bit of realism and I try to be that voice sometimes. I really don't see this guy contributing much. From what I can tell he has never even been in an NBA camp. Is the slovenian league even that good? I say he gets some garbage minutes, but don't expect him to be a rotation player at all. I also don't think this guarantees a trade. His salary still keeps us under the limit (I believe) so why give up a bench big if we don't have to. In addition, Blair is maybe worth a high second. No one is going to give us more than we paid for him. So is that really worth it to the spurs? Why not keep him for insurance in case someone gets injured or the matchup call for a different look. Let his money come off the books at the end of the year and move on.

I hope this turns out well, but all signs point to this guy getting little to no playing time right now. When was the last time a european player came in mid-season to be a force on a playoff team. If that does happen, then I think our team is worse off than we currently assume.
    Why such a negative attitude? You have to give our scouting department a little respect here. If this guy comes in and rebounds and blocks a few shots then it's an improvement over what we have now. He also as some athletic ability and is strong around the rim. I don't expect him to come in and be a 20/10 guy or anything like that but a big body in the paint that can play some defense would be an awesome addition if you ask me.

vCash
    Like the signing but pop does not seem to play the euro/International players the first year or so (gives them allot of minutes).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
    Why such a negative attitude? You have to give our scouting department a little respect here. If this guy comes in and rebounds and blocks a few shots then it's an improvement over what we have now. He also as some athletic ability and is strong around the rim. I don't expect him to come in and be a 20/10 guy or anything like that but a big body in the paint that can play some defense would be an awesome addition if you ask me.
    +1

Love the enthusiasm.

^

(During NBA lockout)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SMM View Post
    Like the signing but pop does not seem to play the euro/International players the first year or so (gives them allot of minutes).
    All he needs to be is an upgrade over Blair, which means someone to ride the bench and get garbage time minutes. It's a good long term signing. Blair won't be with the team next year, and moving him now is best for him and the Spurs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sssmush View Post
    no offense but the Spurs are freakin' communists bro. They should get with Stern's capitalist agenda like NOW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boogeyman View Post
    I never said this was a bad move. I actually think it is a great move. What I am arguing is that we should not be planning on this guy giving us 10-15 mins a game. I am guessing he gets less than 100 minutes the rest of the season. He needs time to adjust. Splitter, who was a much better prospect, averaged 12mins/gm his first year. And the reason he got so little time is because he didn't have much of a training camp and needed time to settle in. This guy won't get any training camp and must fit in on a team that already has 28 wins and has built team chemistry and a rotation. This guy is #12 on the bench and he will be behind blair for awhile. So I am not saying anything bad about him, the scouting dept., or the process. What I am saying is that he will not get much time at this point because he cannot help us at this point. If I am proven wrong then great, I hope I am, but I am saying that this does not turn our season around and it doesn't make us the top contender in the West. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast