Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post
    Our franchise history can't get much worse.
    I beg to differ.

If you find yourself in a situation ala the Toronto Maple Leafs (mediocrity accross the board, foregone picks, wasted picks, underserving contracts) then you're basically relying on the sport- watching impulses of the masses who will still pay to watch a bad product. The Raptors don't have a strong enough brand I think to overcome another 10 year stretch of mediocrity/crappiness.

Its a superstar league with too many teams and not enough great players. I don't believe in relying on the draft as the only measure for success, but, it appears that there are at least one or two potential superstars who will be entering the NBA the following year and I say we go for it.

An Andrew Wiggins in Toronto would be like Rose in Chicago: an era of greatness.

vCash
    i'm looking at a future lineup of

Lowry (10 field goal attempts per game)
    Derozan (15 field goal attempts per game)
    Gay (16 field goal attempts per game)
    Bargnani (15 field goal attempts per game)

and trying to decide who will be the first person to give the "ball" interview. it's a fun exercise, really. lots of good candidates.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 01-30-2013 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    I really like Rudy as a player, but I'm kinda iffy on this trade. I don't think it makes us that much better. But if it happens, I'll be fine with it.

S E A N....M A Y N E

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canzano55 View Post
    I beg to differ.

If you find yourself in a situation ala the Toronto Maple Leafs (mediocrity accross the board, foregone picks, wasted picks, underserving contracts) then you're basically relying on the sport- watching impulses of the masses who will still pay to watch a bad product. The Raptors don't have a strong enough brand I think to overcome another 10 year stretch of mediocrity/crappiness.

Its a superstar league with too many teams and not enough great players. I don't believe in relying on the draft as the only measure for success, but, it appears that there are at least one or two potential superstars who will be entering the NBA the following year and I say we go for it.

An Andrew Wiggins in Toronto would be like Rose in Chicago: an era of greatness.
    Wiggins can be a one and a lifetime player but its a lottery that we are talking about here.

There are so many factors that we should consider before we get the número UNO pick.

1. Colangelo is on his last year of his contract, he wants an extension so right now he is in the process of saving his job.
    2. A prime example was last season, Coach Casey is not a tank commander kind of Coach. He wants to win every game. This team will win a fair share of games against tier 2-3 teams, there is no way they can be the worst team in the league (treadmill team that is)
    3. It is still 2 years away before Wiggins time, I don't think this new ownership has the virtue of patience when it comes to business.

So they say, it's like finding a needle in a haystack. Very very difficult for Canada to get their own Lebron.

vCash
    I never got the whole too many players whose gonna get their shots argument. I mean come on look at all the teams that have 2 or more stars. If they can make it work that isn't and shouldn't be a problem for us. Especially since no one on this team has the right to demand a certain amount of shots a game. No one has earned that.

vCash
    Only way we get Wiggins is if we got a bunch of picks from other teams and one of them end up the #1 pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by canzano55 View Post
    I beg to differ.

I can't disagree with anything you said, but trying to go from zero to hero is the wrong approach in my opinion. We've already gone through a stretch of mediocrity/crappiness, and our mediocrity is arguably even that. I'm not advocating that BC pull the trigger 100%, but I truly don't believe that we'll be bad enough with Lowry/Dero/Val/Amir/Bargs to get Wiggins. Most of our players aren't good enough or on a strong enough contract to net us any more first round picks, so we'll only end up trading salary dumps for salary dumps. Nobody wants Fields. Nobody wants Bargs. We'd struggle to get a better pick for Lowry than we gave up. I just don't think our team is in a position to tank. If we were going to have a fire sale we should have done so after Bosh left but we didn't and now we're left to pick up the pieces.

I just don't think our team is bad enough to be in last place next year unless we replace Casey with a coach that wants to lose, and that would make our franchise look even worse. Unless we get Wiggins, we'd end up with another good player that won't put us over the hump and he'll take off when his contract is up because we were sooooo bad and still can't get free agents.....

I dunno. It can be argued both ways because we've failed at building AND rebuilding. Either way I think the Raps need to get better to change the culture, and tanking would set us back. We need to make a couple impact trades that set us up for a complete overhaul because our current contracts put us in poor draft position and bad FA position. Gay gives us the opportunity to actually start fresh when Bargs is done, unless we improve and can go from there.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BALLER R View Post
    I never got the whole too many players whose gonna get their shots argument. I mean come on look at all the teams that have 2 or more stars. If they can make it work that isn't and shouldn't be a problem for us. Especially since no one on this team has the right to demand a certain amount of shots a game. No one has earned that.
    it depends on what they have to contribute outside of shooting the basketball. if a guys whole identity is 'scorer' he is going to feel uncomfortable when he is not able to play consistent with that identify.
    Last edited by Jamiecballer; 01-30-2013 at 10:56 AM.

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    sources said. The Grizzlies have unsuccessfully tried to pry Raptors rookie Terrence Ross as part of the deal, sources said. Toronto has deemed Ross untouchable in these talks.

vCash
    please dont trade ed davis, colangelo make a good decision here, KEEP ED U *****

vCash
    i dont understand why bargnani isnt part of trade talks, hes ****ing garbage, but i guess he is colangelo's illegitimate child.

its infuriating because it's so obvious bargnani doesn't mesh on the team at all.

rudy will be fun to watch but I don't really see the benefit here of trading ed davis

vCash
    This is actually going down? Didn't think this rumour was true.
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiggity_ace View Post
    i dont understand why bargnani isnt part of trade talks, hes ****ing garbage, but i guess he is colangelo's illegitimate child.

its infuriating because it's so obvious bargnani doesn't mesh on the team at all.

rudy will be fun to watch but I don't really see the benefit here of trading ed davis

Answered your own question right there.

Ed Davis is a nice player, but Rudy Gay makes this a better team.

“Just gobble, gobble, gobble, turkey from jive turkey gobblers”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    it sounds like a real possibility and the celtics seem like a perfect third partner to facilitate. they could use calderon and they can provide memphis with a less expensive replacement in Green.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    well if Yahoo! Sports is announcing and reporting it with such a lengthy article, its probably has wheels to some extent.

I'm not sad about it. Like come on, we can resign Caldy to a contract next offseason. and Ed Davis isn't a difference maker that you HAVE to keep him regardless of the talent coming in.

I'm hoping Bargs gets traded for Millsap or a rugged PF. Its not like there so many efficient scoring SFs in this league either. I personally don't like Gay's contract but we might as well move forward with him considering that MAYBE a change of scenery will unlock Gay's potential.

here's hoping that Gay becomes the closest thing we have to a superstar.

Page 42 of 76 FirstFirst ... 32404142434452 ... LastLast