Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast
    vCash

Raptors & Grizz Agree in Principal to Send RUDY GAY to Toronto

Rudy Gay heading to Toronto.

http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=8898673

RENO, Nev. -- The Memphis Grizzlies have not made an iron-clad decision about trading swingman Rudy Gay before the league's Feb. 21 buzzer for deals, according to NBA front-office sources.

The Grizzlies might trade him. But they might not.

The Toronto Raptors, by contrast, have definitively decided to make a real run at Gay.

The Raptors might not be able to swing a deal for him. But they'd love to.

Sources told ESPN.com this week that the Raptors -- who tried to make a play for Gay before the 2012 NBA Draft -- remain seriously "interested" in the Grizzlies' leading scorer and are trying to assemble trade packages to bring the 26-year-old to Toronto after preliminary talks with Memphis.

Among the trade chips that the Raptors are believed to be dangling, in addition to draft considerations, are veteran point guard Jose Calderon (who possesses an expiring contract worth $10.6 million) and young big man Ed Davis.

Grantland's Zach Lowe reported last week that the Grizzlies had begun the process of letting various teams know that Gay would be available in the right deal before the annual February trade deadline. Sources consulted in Reno during the NBA's annual D-League Showcase have described the bulk of those discussions to date to be exploratory in nature, but Toronto, as part of that process, has let it be known to the Grizzlies that its desire to acquire Gay has not waned.

It was widely assumed around the league coming into the season that the Grizzlies' new ownership group, headed by majority owner Robert Pera and CEO Jason Levien, would look into moving Gay to lessen Memphis' luxury-tax obligations after this season and coming seasons.

But the Grizzlies, with their three top players all healthy for the first time in three seasons, got off to a rousing 14-3 start and, despite fading slightly to 22-10, are generally regarded as a team capable of winning the ever-competitive Western Conference.

That has led some rival teams to project that the Grizzlies, as one GM in Reno put in Tuesday, could "wait until the summer" before deciding whether they're indeed prepared to break up the Zach Randolph/Marc Gasol/Gay trio.

Yahoo! Sports reported Tuesday that the Phoenix Suns, like the Raptors, have let the Grizzlies know that they are prepared to trade for Gay by packaging swingman Jared Dudley with future first-round picks. The Memphis Commercial Appeal subsequently reported that the Sacramento Kings are also among the teams to engage the Grizzlies in preliminary Gay talks, with CBSSports.com and the Contra Costa Times reporting that similar discussions between Memphis and Golden State quickly ended when it became apparent that the Warriors would have to include the contract of Richard Jefferson to make the salary-cap math work.

The Raptors, meanwhile, tried to trade for Gay six months ago, offering up various packages headlined by the No. 8 pick in the draft (eventually used on Terrence Ross) and Calderon. The Grizzlies, still owned by Michael Heisley at the time, passed.

Word is that the Grizzlies' new regime is adamant that it won't merely try to dump salary by dealing Gay in-season if it severely weakens their team in the process. Averaging a team-high 17.8 points per game but shooting a career-low 40.8 percent from the floor, Gay is earning $16.4 million in 2012-13 and is scheduled to earn $17.8 million and $19.3 million in the next two seasons, respectively.

Said another GM: "I think keeping Gay is still on the table for them, too."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...rudy-gay-chase
    Last edited by Mile High Champ; 01-30-2013 at 06:06 PM.

vCash
    not a fan of including davis in the package.

vCash
    what get rid of Jose and we get Rudy Gay where do i sign up?

vCash
    Not sure how I feel. We already have 2 guys on the team shooting under 40% (Bargnani and Anderson). Having another chucker who's in the low 40% will make it worse. As well, we better get a big man in return since we'd have only Amir healthy. The pick also is not attractive. We would have so many people under contract at the 2 and 3 that it's going to be bad for Casey. If we can get a big man for Bargnani in a seperate trade, I'd be down for it.

Hopefully, the Grizzlies end up taking the Suns offer of Dudley and multiple picks.

vCash
    DeRozan's numbers as basically the same as Gay's, except that he's more efficient.

vCash
    I'd do it. I wish there was a way of subbing Ross for Davis though.
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt20mik View Post
    DeRozan's numbers as basically the same as Gay's, except that he's more efficient.
    exactly what I have been noticing lately. Gay is still the better player but money has to be a factor. Demar is cheaper and still has more upside. If people like Demar and ross then I don't see the need for Gay right now.

vCash
    Not a fan of this if it includes Davis. The dude is finally getting playing time and has been producing.

Dishing out some love...and droppin dimes

"If I was in the parking lot I'd jack him up"
    - Jack Armstrong

vCash
    Ed davis Noooooo. That would mean we probably won't trade Andrea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    exactly what I have been noticing lately. Gay is still the better player but money has to be a factor. Demar is cheaper and still has more upside. If people like Demar and ross then I don't see the need for Gay right now.
    The only thing that Gay brings to the table is that he can create for himself (which DeRozan struggles at). That being said, Gay is statistically worse in ever other category and in terms of growth. He hasn't really developed that much since coming into the NBA, and his defense is still piss poor.

I'm hoping Ross pulls some Paul George **** and grows 2-3 inches. God, having him and DeRozan at the 2 and 3 would make my day.

vCash
    I think Gay just needs a change on scenery. Whatever team he ends up on it wouldn't surprise me if he started playing better.

vCash
    Well Rudy Gay would bring a defensive edge to the team. We'd finally after all these years have a decent wing defender. If it's jose and Ed, I don't mind too much. Ed's value is pretty high right now and i'm not certain that he can sustain it in the long run.

My only problem is this, Lowry, Derozan, Gay, Andrea and Jonas... 4 of the starters are completely iso players. There's not gonna be a lot of ball movement which is likely gonna be a problem.
    Last edited by CB29; 01-09-2013 at 08:27 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CB29 View Post
    Well Rudy Gay would bring a defensive edge to the team. We'd finally after all these years have a decent wing defender. If it's jose and Ed, I don't mind too much. Ed's value is pretty high right now and i'm not certain that he can sustain it in the long run.
    no it wouldn't. He's average at best. plus he comes with a superstar contract for a role player's game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    no it wouldn't. He's average at best. plus he comes with a superstar contract for a role player's game.
    You can't be serious

vCash
    Calderon + Ross + Fields. Get it done.
    Raptors count-up to 36 wins: 34 - 48 || #TankForWiggins
    http://blogasvalanciunas.tumblr.com
    Hey Cashman, fire Girardi and then yourself!

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast