Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red End Zones

vCash

Question Red End Zones

Hey does anyone know how the tradition of painting the endzones red for just the playoffs at Candlestick started or why it came about? Does any other team do anything like this? I love it, Im just curious about it.

Preparing for WAR! 5/3/14 Maidana vs Mayweather
    vCash
    http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...zones-playoffs

The 49ers have improved their red-zone efficiency over the final three games of the season. And it's something the club hopes will carry over into the playoffs.On Saturday, the 49ers hope their red-zone possessions finish in the red end zone.After eight seasons with no postseason appearances, a 49ers playoff tradition will continue on Saturday. The 49ers confirmed Thursday that the end zones at Candlestick Park will be painted red for the occasion of their divisional playoff game Saturday against the New Orleans Saints.
    The end zone are not fully painted for mere regular-season games.But the playoffs are different. The end zones were red in January 1982 when Dwight Clark came down with "The Catch" to send the 49ers to their first Super Bowl. And the end zones were red for every playoff game, including their last appearance in the postseason on Jan. 5, 2003. The 49ers erased a 24-point deficit that day for a 39-38 victory over the New York Giants in a wild-card playoff game.

Matt Maiocco
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo
    Boxing fan? Come discuss Boxing!

"We are chasing greatness" Mark Jackson 3/7/14

vCash
    That doesnt really answer anything though. Was that the first game they were painted red? Were they red during the playoffs before that game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by richiesaurus310 View Post
    That doesnt really answer anything though. Was that the first game they were painted red? Were they red during the playoffs before that game?
    Last edited by hd1906; 01-09-2013 at 05:19 AM.

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS
    Bay Area, CA

vCash
    It's really difficult to obtain a backstory on this tradition

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS
    Bay Area, CA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hd1906 View Post

How is that funny? It just says the end zones were red for the catch game. That doesnt answer any of my questions, unless the tradition started with that game and that article doesnt say that.
    Last edited by richiesaurus310; 01-09-2013 at 12:04 PM.

vCash
    Honestly, I don't think there's a whole lot to it. They did something a little different because it was the playoffs and red is a team color. It seemed well received so they stuck with it.

vCash
    It is used to cover up the mud this time of year. Those old Niner teams really wore out the grass in the end zone.

vCash

How is that funny? It just says the end zones were red for the catch game. That doesnt answer any of my questions, unless the tradition started with that game and that article doesnt say that.
    Exactly, It was hilarious at the time to me bcuz I read the lengthy somewhat informative article posted above, and then scrolled down to the sobering realization that indeed your question was still far from answered, its a brand of humor perhaps not enjoyed by some...(we all read these posts and interperate them differently) anyways...

I too looked for an hour or so for any real history behind the painting of the inzone...and in the end the article you deemed unworthy is perhaps the most informative on the Internet I could stumble upon, not even the NINERS website can offer any insight as to it's significance other than those already offered..

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS
    Bay Area, CA

vCash
    At least my link was informative on the subject, he could also just google it himself.
    lol, please' top 10 p4p- Mayweather/Ward/Marquez/Pacquiao/Maidana/Rigondeaux/Froch/Cotto/B-Hop/Canelo

vCash
    http://https://twitter.com/maioccocs...89028107005952

Hope this helps some. I asked Maiocco on twitter and this is what he said.

Edit: After looking at old games it looks like the endzones were red when we had the AstroTurf. It was replaced with grass in 1979 and has been painted red since then to keep that look.
    Last edited by downsos; 01-09-2013 at 09:28 PM.

#TANK

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hd1906 View Post
    Exactly, It was hilarious at the time to me bcuz I read the lengthy somewhat informative article posted above, and then scrolled down to the sobering realization that indeed your question was still far from answered, its a brand of humor perhaps not enjoyed by some...(we all read these posts and interperate them differently) anyways...

I too looked for an hour or so for any real history behind the painting of the inzone...and in the end the article you deemed unworthy is perhaps the most informative on the Internet I could stumble upon, not even the NINERS website can offer any insight as to it's significance other than those already offered..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by downsos View Post
    http://https://twitter.com/maioccocs...89028107005952

Hope this helps some. I asked Maiocco on twitter and this is what he said.

Edit: After looking at old games it looks like the endzones were red when we had the AstroTurf. It was replaced with grass in 1979 and has been painted red since then to keep that look.
    Ugh I cant open the link... what did he say???

vCash
    Ugh I cant open the link... what did he say???
    He said they started it after they took out the AstroTurf.

#TANK

vCash
    All that richie could have done on his own in minutes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast