Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Do you Consider Bill Russell A Top Ten Player Of All-Time?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    32 68.09%
  • No

    15 31.91%
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 202
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    1,517
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Not a good comparison at all...What did Russell really pioneer? He didn't really invent anything. He just was fortunate enough to be on of the first true great big men on a really stacked team in a much weaker era.
    And Edison was fortunate enough to be in an era with so many inventions where on the table. If Edison went up against inventprs now he'd get whooped as would Russel but that doesn't mean they weren't great in there respective eras.
    The Big Three!!

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    then why isn't George Mikan in the top 10? Dominated the early stages of the NBA, 4 time champion in just 6 years.
    He had a six year career (his 7th wasn't very good), that's one big reason.

    He was named as the greatest basketball player of the first half of the 20th century about 20 years ago. That's plenty, enough noteriety. Ever see film of him play? Scalabrine would score 60 a night in that league.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    522
    vCash
    1500
    No way he sniffs top 10. I have 12 in my top 10 and haven't even gotten to a handful of other at his position who would embarrass him.

    1.Magic/Jordan
    2.Bryant
    3.Wilt
    4.Jabbar
    5.Bird/West
    6.O'neal
    7.Duncan
    8.Hakeem
    9.Robertson
    10.Pippen

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by amos1er View Post
    Every year??? Russell for a while was the only player in the league who could contain Wilt. There weren't very many legit big men in the league from 58-65. At 6'9, Russell was one of the tallest players in the league. Do doubt he wasn't really good defensively though. Thats why he should be in the top 15 IMO.
    Russell was in the league 3 years before Wilt.

    The league had good Centers by 1964-1965 on every team, 9 years through Russell's 13 year career.

    Russell was the first really mobile Center, and probably the best passing Center of his era, not to mention playing ridiculous amounts of minutes, and grabbing big rebound totals.

    He also was able to master Wilt well enough to keep the titles coming. Bill would eat dinner with Wilt the night before games - home and away for years. Bill studied him, and was certainly in Wilt's head. Wilt would have big games against Bill, yet just about always Bill would get the key block, rebound, or bucket to foil him again. On a physical level, Wilt was way superior to Bill. Bill has to get credit for scaling and conquering Wilt. Seriously.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyTeam View Post
    No way he sniffs top 10. I have 12 in my top 10 and haven't even gotten to a handful of other at his position who would embarrass him.

    1.Magic/Jordan
    2.Bryant
    3.Wilt
    4.Jabbar
    5.Bird/West
    6.O'neal
    7.Duncan
    8.Hakeem
    9.Robertson
    10.Pippen
    Scottie Pippen has no business in front of Bill Rusell. Be serious. I'm not sure West does either. Bryant 3rd? Hhahahhahahahhhaaa.

    How old are you?


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,618
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyTeam View Post
    No way he sniffs top 10. I have 12 in my top 10 and haven't even gotten to a handful of other at his position who would embarrass him.

    1.Magic/Jordan
    2.Bryant
    3.Wilt
    4.Jabbar
    5.Bird/West
    6.O'neal
    7.Duncan
    8.Hakeem
    9.Robertson
    10.Pippen
    you don't know s**t about basketball

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    HCA (Homecourt Advantage)
    Posts
    65,642
    vCash
    1500
    Hell yes.
    "Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
    - Michael Jordan

    Thanks MJ-Bulls for the picture.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Bushwood Country Club
    Posts
    59,893
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Money_23 View Post
    then why isn't George Mikan in the top 10? Dominated the early stages of the NBA, 4 time champion in just 6 years.
    at some point, the era does matter is why..

    plus, he played like 6-7 seasons in a completely watered down league.

    If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    nope.


    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,494
    vCash
    1500
    Accolades? He won an NCAA MVP in College and went on to win 5 League MVP's in the NBA. (He would have also won ROY if he played the full yr).

    Winning? He won Back to back NCAA Titles winning 55 straight once. In the NBA? He won 11 titles in his 13 yr NBA career (One of the times he didn't win it was due to injury in game 2 of the finals one yr and didn't play again). Thats basically 11 titles in 12 yrs..including college? Its 13 titles in 14 yrs.


    Here's some FACTS

    * Russell is the ONLY member of those 11 title teams during that 13 yr stretch
    * The 2 longest losing streaks of that whole era, was when Russell went down with injury
    * The Celtics went from Winning there 11th title in 13 yrs in '69 to missing the playoffs the following year.


    Here's some comments from Former NBA players and NBA Coaches

    "He’s the guy who whipped us psychologically. Russell has our club worrying every second. Every one of the five men is thinking Russell is covering him on every play. He blocks a shot, and before you know it, Boston is getting a basket, and a play by Russell has done it.” - Kundla

    “We don’t fear the Celtics without Bill Russell. Take him out and we can beat them"- Kundla

    “The Celtics can thank the Good Lord for Bill Russell.” - Schayes

    “If I had a choice of any basketball player in the league,” Lakers guard Jerry West would say after losing a fifth Finals series to Boston in 1968, “my No.1 choice has to be Bill Russell. Bill Russell never ceases to amaze me.” - Jerry west


    Its laughable when people don't put him in there top 5..Not in the top 10? Well thats 100% ignorance.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life:25026895
    Accolades? He won an NCAA MVP in College and went on to win 5 League MVP's in the NBA. (He would have also won ROY if he played the full yr).

    Winning? He won Back to back NCAA Titles winning 55 straight once. In the NBA? He won 11 titles in his 13 yr NBA career (One of the times he didn't win it was due to injury in game 2 of the finals one yr and didn't play again). Thats basically 11 titles in 12 yrs..including college? Its 13 titles in 14 yrs.


    Here's some FACTS

    * Russell is the ONLY member of those 11 title teams during that 13 yr stretch
    * The 2 longest losing streaks of that whole era, was when Russell went down with injury
    * The Celtics went from Winning there 11th title in 13 yrs in '69 to missing the playoffs the following year.


    Here's some comments from Former NBA players and NBA Coaches

    "He’s the guy who whipped us psychologically. Russell has our club worrying every second. Every one of the five men is thinking Russell is covering him on every play. He blocks a shot, and before you know it, Boston is getting a basket, and a play by Russell has done it.” - Kundla

    “We don’t fear the Celtics without Bill Russell. Take him out and we can beat them"- Kundla

    “The Celtics can thank the Good Lord for Bill Russell.” - Schayes

    “If I had a choice of any basketball player in the league,” Lakers guard Jerry West would say after losing a fifth Finals series to Boston in 1968, “my No.1 choice has to be Bill Russell. Bill Russell never ceases to amaze me.” - Jerry west


    Its laughable when people don't put him in there top 5..Not in the top 10? Well thats 100% ignorance.
    What's with the fascination with the number 10? What if I have him top 11? Does it really make that much of a difference?


    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,494
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by b@llhog24 View Post
    What's with the fascination with the number 10? What if I have him top 11? Does it really make that much of a difference?
    I think he's one of the 2 best ever..so yes, I think having a 5 time MVP/11 time champ at #11 is way to low

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    39,922
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    I think he's one of the 2 best ever..so yes, I think having a 5 time MVP/11 time champ at #11 is way to low
    How can a 1 way player be one of the two best ever?

    The Celts transition from winning Russell's last title to the following season has to do with a lot more than Russell's retirement.

    The Celts didn't have any/much at back-up C his whole career. The Bucks losing Jabbar, or Rockets losing Hakeem would have had a similar effect in losing streaks.

    In 1966-1967 Wilt dominated Russell for the title, Russell had 4 points in the final game of 5 game series beat down.

    You are spreading misinformation on 1957-1958. Russell played the first 2 games of that Series without incident (1-1), and then played half of game 3 - a loss (game tied at 49 when he was hurt), then came back and played in game 6 - also a loss. Not the two games and out as you claim. Russell playing in games that the Celts went 1-3 in seems to point to the fact that he was involved enough to be seen as having lost that title, and certainly tied in game 3 with a 1-1 record when hurt does not mean he was going to win that title - unless one is a doctrinaire Russell slobberer.

    Of course as you have admitted before, titles in Russell's time were cheaper than after the ABA/NBA merger - both due to inferior competition, and less teams to contend with. Helped inestimably by Red's Coaching/GM'ing and the excellent team he had around him for the first 9 years of his career, that was still good enough with the addition of Bailey Howell to win the last two as Russell's vigor/output flagged.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-09-2013 at 10:22 AM.


    6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

    Some jerks never learn.....

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    23,196
    vCash
    950
    I do not, I've always considered him and the big O to be overrated but for opposite reasons. One had the team success but was incredibly one dimensional whereas the other had the numbers but they never translated over to leading a team successfully.

    They are both top 20 players but neither are top 10 imo.

    The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    There
    Posts
    8,229
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos_Sports4Life View Post
    I think he's one of the 2 best ever..so yes, I think having a 5 time MVP/11 time champ at #11 is way to low
    Well I think you have him too high, so are we at a deadlock here? I don't really care if someone has him as high as top 5, but personally I'll say that that person values "winning" a little bit too much. Robert Horry should make that person's top 50 if skill curves don't mean that much. He's typically in my top 12 for the record.


    Quote Originally Posted by rhymeratic View Post
    Shoot I'd even put up Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond in their prime at or slightly better than James. Even Glenn Robinson who is a forgotten beast.


    Quote Originally Posted by LoveMeOrHateMe View Post
    Kobe GOAT LOL
    ^Finally got one.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •