Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Do you sign Michael Bourn, or do you keep the 11th pick in the draft

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sign Michael Bourn to 3 year deal

13 29.55%
  • Keep 11th pick in the 2013 draft

31 70.45%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm pretty torn, but I would rather keep the pick. The Mets won't be good this year. At best the returns on this investment would be in 2014 and 2015, the former only if we spend next off-season. So really, I think if that pick is a good college bat, I'd rather have the young protected player for 2015 and beyond than one year of Bourn contributing to a winning team in 2015. Whether our pick pans out is the only argument you can use as Bourn is a proven player. I'm all for adding parts every year, but I would not give up the pick for him.

Pittsburgh/Appel really screwed us on this one. If our pick was top 10 protected, I would definitely say go after Bourn as we would have extra money to sign someone using Stanky's bonus (as other posters have pointed out) to recoup the lost 2nd round pick for Bourn.

So in brief, no if we have to give up a 1st round pick, and yes, if our pick were top 10 protected.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    For starters, the poll is a bit mis-leading. There is no chance Boras settles on a 3 year contract for Bourn. At worst, he will sign a 1-year deal and enter the market again next season.

Now, the Mets are in no position to be giving away their top draft pick for aging players, especially when that player won't make a big enough difference in 2013.

Unless we somehow got Upton, that is the only way I'd get Bourn.
    Bingo!

vCash
    It would of made sense if they had kept Dickey and gotten other players, but since they have not, might as well keep the pick.

In 3 years I would probably say forget the pick.

vCash
    Bourne is not worth the pick...I kind of like his speed and CF ability, but the Mets don't need another Lefty hitting OFer...plus, over the past 3 seasons, he's put up a .279 average and .722 OPS; that's better than what we have but for a #11 draft pick? not good enough for an OFer...

vCash
    Keep the pick and sign someone else in 2014/15. There is no need for Bourn and his salary and his age right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    For starters, the poll is a bit mis-leading. There is no chance Boras settles on a 3 year contract for Bourn. At worst, he will sign a 1-year deal and enter the market again next season.

Now, the Mets are in no position to be giving away their top draft pick for aging players, especially when that player won't make a big enough difference in 2013.

Unless we somehow got Upton, that is the only way I'd get Bourn.
    I doubt a team will give up a first round pick for one year of Michael Bourne. I can only see a team with multiple high picks signing Bourne, and for a minimum of 3 years.

Otherwise the season will start without Michael Bourne.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Yeah i still see Bourn getting 3 yrs (maybe 4 with a team or vesting option).

He's not worth 5 years as speed is a such a tricky tool when a player enters his 30s.

The longer this offseason goes without him signing a deal would suggest he might be pushed in that direction too. Like Dug said i doubt any team gives him one year and loses a significant draft pick.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-08-2013 at 09:46 PM.

vCash
    That's literally the highest pick you can lose right?

IDK, Bourn seems like one of those guys thats going to get a stupid contract I don't want to be a part of. I think I sit on the pick.
    "If we could talk about it and get (to the playoffs), it would've already been done. We know that talking won't get it done. We have to earn it." - Jets Coach Rex Ryan
    #hatersgonnahate

vCash
    I don't think it's a forgone conclusion that Bourn will sign a monster deal or a 1 year deal. For one, if he doesn't get his big contract now, after what was a huge year for the guy, what are the odds he hits the jackpot a year from now?

Boras has done crazier things, but I think Bourn will end up getting a 3, maybe 4 year deal and taking it. Moreover, as Dugmet said, why would any team give up a 1st round pick for 1 year of Bourn? Unless a top 10 pick team signs him for 1 year, that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Bourn may not be a player to put you over the top, if that's the criteria, but he's a quality major league player at a premium defensive position - a position the Mets are desperate to fill.

I think it's a closer call than some other people think. I doubt it happens, but the team needs to invest in a quality outfielder in the next year - whoever it may be.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    I still think he gets a 5/$65M kind of deal. There are teams that could still use a quality CF.

vCash
    If he gets that, I'm with you - wouldn't do it.

I have my doubts he will.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    If he gets that, I'm with you - wouldn't do it.

I have my doubts he will.
    Still though, even if he would sign a 3 year deal, I don't want to lose the pick. Our farm is not stacked to the point where we can make decisions like that. Sandy apparently agrees.

vCash
    I was advocating for Bourn and or Delmon Young if the Mets were going to try and be competitive in 2013. I think Young does not cost us the #11 pick...correct me if I'm wrong. While Young is not the greatest fielder he sure can hit. And he is 28 and looks like he would receive no more than the new normal of $13m for three years plus options. We need a solid #5 hitter as much as a speedy leadoff hitter. Young could fill that bill nicely. Let him play RF now and some day when Duda is a DH move Yojng to LF.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    You know we'll just end up picking up some garbage piece of **** with the 11th pick, right? Bourn all the way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    I was advocating for Bourn and or Delmon Young if the Mets were going to try and be competitive in 2013. I think Young does not cost us the #11 pick...correct me if I'm wrong. While Young is not the greatest fielder he sure can hit. And he is 28 and looks like he would receive no more than the new normal of $13m for three years plus options. We need a solid #5 hitter as much as a speedy leadoff hitter. Young could fill that bill nicely. Let him play RF now and some day when Duda is a DH move Yojng to LF.
    You're right, Delmon Young will not cost us the 11th pick.... Mostly because he ****ing sucks.

He sure can hit? He hit .267/.296/.411 with a whopping -0.7 WAR. He is absolutely trash, I'd much rather bring back Hairston than bring in this loser.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast