Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    a) G also comes to the rink early

b) G works with the young guys as well; just isn't noticed as much because, well, he is still one of the young guys

c) if you honestly think G is concerned more about his point totals than the team, there's something wrong with you

just about every clip they showed of G was him pointing at guys, telling them where they should be, what play they were going to run, what they could improve on from their last shift, jawing at opponents and getting in their head, picking the brains of the veterans to learn more and making suggestions to them as well.

hell, the practice before he came back against Dallas, he literally said to Lavy that he didn't want to rush back because he didn't want to hurt the team, to which Lavy replied, "are you kidding me?"

so i'm not sure what you saw, but i could not disagree with you more.

You misunderstood me. I'm not saying Giroux isn't a leader, or cares more about points. I'm saying throughout the season, in camp, at practice, and in game I saw more from Jagr. And I think there are other guys that would be better Captains for now. Not that Giroux will be a bad one, just that I would rather it wait a few seasons. Make Timonen the Captain for this season, resign him for 1 more year and make him the Captain next season. Then AFTER Giroux signs his next deal, give him the captaincy. Perfect timing, and perfect situation IMO.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    You misunderstood me. I'm not saying Giroux isn't a leader, or cares more about points. I'm saying throughout the season, in camp, at practice, and in game I saw more from Jagr. And I think there are other guys that would be better Captains for now. Not that Giroux will be a bad one, just that I would rather it wait a few seasons. Make Timonen the Captain for this season, resign him for 1 more year and make him the Captain next season. Then AFTER Giroux signs his next deal, give him the captaincy. Perfect timing, and perfect situation IMO.
    i just don't see the need to name another captain then.

why have the "stop gap captain"? what's the point? is it really necessary?

i mean you're basically saying it yourself that G will be the captain of this team. what's the point in just giving it to someone in the mean time?

i think if you're gonna do that, just have 3 As and alternate between home and away games with the leadership group this team has in place (G, Timonen, Briere, Talbot, Hartnell).

otherwise, give G the "C" and let him run with it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    i just don't see the need to name another captain then.

why have the "stop gap captain"? what's the point? is it really necessary?

i mean you're basically saying it yourself that G will be the captain of this team. what's the point in just giving it to someone in the mean time?

i think if you're gonna do that, just have 3 As and alternate between home and away games with the leadership group this team has in place (G, Timonen, Briere, Talbot, Hartnell).

otherwise, give G the "C" and let him run with it.
    Give Talbot the C lol

lol bryz

vCash
    It's official.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...s-captain.html

Kimmo is an "associate captain" (whatever that means). Hartnell and Briere are alternates.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    This is the right move imo. If he's going to be the captain in practice he might as well just be the captain.
    Don't give up on us now...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Henry, House of Burgess, 1775
    Give me the playoffs...or give me death!!

vCash
    It's like i said. We all knew this was a foregone conclusion.

Congrats, G. You deserve it.

vCash
    this pretty much seals the deal that kimo isn't going to resign and is midseason trade-bait if the season starts to go poorly or we finish around 8th

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    this pretty much seals the deal that kimo isn't going to resign and is midseason trade-bait if the season starts to go poorly or we finish around 8th
    cough Detroit cough

vCash
    Or they're confident he's going to retire and they don't want another one-and-done captain.

Learning to love the bomb since 2009

Phils, Eagles, Flyers

vCash
    Also, Giroux Ranked 3rd on TSN "Top 50 List". Pretty awesome to see IMO

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?id=81134

“Too many people go through life complaining about their problems. I've always believed that if you took one tenth of the energy you put into complaining and applied it to solving the problem, you'd be surprised by how well things can work out.”
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by k_dol50 View Post
    It's official.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...s-captain.html

Kimmo is an "associate captain" (whatever that means). Hartnell and Briere are alternates.
    Pretty sure that just means Kimmo will always have an A while Hartnell and Briere will share one; one has it at home and the other has it on the road. I could be wrong though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by castan_b View Post
    Well....not really. Kimo is 37 years old and will be turning 38 in under 2 months, so it was always skeptical if he were going to be back or not. What this says is: Claude Giroux is the captain. Now I'm certain some of this is to continue and have some continuity. Go back to 2006-2007, where after Primeau wore the C for 5 years, and we've had five captains (Hatcher, Smith, Forsberg, Richards, Pronger) in 6 years. We've only had 19 captains in our history and 5 of them (roughly a quarter of all of our captains) were wearing the C in a span of 6 years. Kimo's probably a one and done captain, or at best, maybe two years. With Giroux you actually get continuity - as in, maybe we can have the same captain for more than 1 year this time. And with Giroux you have someone who's been the acting captain for some time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Well....not really. Kimo is 37 years old and will be turning 38 in under 2 months, so it was always skeptical if he were going to be back or not. What this says is: Claude Giroux is the captain. Now I'm certain some of this is to continue and have some continuity. Go back to 2006-2007, where after Primeau wore the C for 5 years, and we've had five captains (Hatcher, Smith, Forsberg, Richards, Pronger) in 6 years. We've only had 19 captains in our history and 5 of them (roughly a quarter of all of our captains) were wearing the C in a span of 6 years. Kimo's probably a one and done captain, or at best, maybe two years. With Giroux you actually get continuity - as in, maybe we can have the same captain for more than 1 year this time. And with Giroux you have someone who's been the acting captain for some time.
    This. I am willing to bet Timonen agrees with Giroux being named captain. Timonen will either resign with us or retire IMO. If his body is feeling good for one more year he will be back, if this season really takes a toll on him than he will retire. I don't think the captaincy has any effect on his desire to come back for another season. Also I think the whole captain thing is over rated. It is a big deal to wear the C but for the people not wearing the C it doesn't make them any less important. Timonen, Briere and Hartnell are still leaders for this team with or without a C on their jersey

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    This. I am willing to bet Timonen agrees with Giroux being named captain. Timonen will either resign with us or retire IMO. If his body is feeling good for one more year he will be back, if this season really takes a toll on him than he will retire. I don't think the captaincy has any effect on his desire to come back for another season. Also I think the whole captain thing is over rated. It is a big deal to wear the C but for the people not wearing the C it doesn't make them any less important. Timonen, Briere and Hartnell are still leaders for this team with or without a C on their jersey
    Boom. It's entirely overrated.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ironman9518 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Boom. It's entirely overrated.

i wouldn't go as far as to say it's overrated. i think that's too strong. it can be over-hyped at times, but it's not an overrated thing.

i mean you look around, and more sports are starting to adopt it. the NFL went with offensive and defensive captains logos on their jerseys a few years ago. even certain baseball and basketball teams give "C"s to certain players.

i'm sure this is an issue where there are just two sides and neither side is going to budge, and its gonna seem stupid when i say it, but it's the way it's always been with hockey. and sometimes when its rough going out there its nice to look to your side and see that "C" on someone's chest and know that they are gonna do whatever it takes to fight back, and in doing so you feel obligated to do the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast